Good Sega CD Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Fingers dripping ink

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Fingers dripping ink » May 28th, 2009, 8:45 pm

I've had a Sega CD for years (10 bucks for a Genesis 2 / Sega CD 2 combo at Blockbuster!) but it wasn't until recently I purchasing games for it. My picks:

1. Shining Force CD...get it.
2. The Terminator...challenging, fun, and the music is amazing. I mean, hands down, best music I've heard in a game in a long time...It's that Tallarico kid!
3. Heart of the Alien...occasionally makes my blood boil but overall it's a pretty sweet game. It's actually two games in one, Out Of This World and Heat Of The Alien. Play OOTW first.
4. Popful Mail is a pretty good ation RPG but I'd say it's more of a try before you buy situation. I've had fun but one of my friends didn't like it.
5. Snatcher...Kojima's masterpiece. A no-brainer.
6. SoulStar...In my opinion, a totally underrated shooter. Like Starfox but with better graphics.
7. Earthworm Jim Special Edition...
8. Final Fight CD...you must play it with a friend.
9. Keio Flying Squadron...insane shooter featuring a girl with bunny ears.

But for the love of God, DO NOT PLAY Puggsy, Mickey Mouse, The Lawnmower Man, Panic (aka Switch/Haywire) or Hook! They belong in the halls of Gaming Hell.

Cafeman1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Cafeman1 » May 28th, 2009, 11:06 pm

If you like platformers, Mickey Mania is awesome. Hardly gaming hell to me!

I was just playing Cliffhanger on Sega CD. I love this game, believe it or not. It has the 2D beat'em up little stages but then you get to snowboard down the mountain with scaling 2D images of cliffs, boulders,and other obstacles while an avalanche chases you from behind! It's the same engine as used in the driving parts of Batman Returns CD, and just like those levels, these snowboard levels are crazy difficult! But they are still quite fun to me.

Kiatronic

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Kiatronic » June 11th, 2009, 10:02 pm

Road Avenger is an FMV game based on some anime cartoon, it really impressed me back in the day and its still good if it is sort of linear.

Oltobaz1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 29th, 2009, 7:27 am

[QUOTE=Kiatronic]Road Avenger is an FMV game based on some anime cartoon, it really impressed me back in the day and its still good if it is sort of linear.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really like Road Avenger. Especially the main song "On the Road", as catchy as the original Japanese Sonic CD tune...

BanjoPickles1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 3rd, 2009, 12:13 pm

"But for the love of God, DO NOT PLAY Puggsy, Mickey Mouse, The Lawnmower Man, Panic (aka Switch/Haywire) or Hook! They belong in the halls of Gaming Hell."

What's wrong with Hook? I was personally in love with this game back in 93!

QF

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby QF » July 3rd, 2009, 3:20 pm

Android Assault: horizontal scrolling shoot em up
http://sega-16.com/review_page.php?id=1028&title=Android%20Assault:%20The%20Revenge%20of%20Bari-Arm

Algus1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Algus1 » August 1st, 2009, 6:23 pm

I highly recommend Ecco the Dolphin.  I know the Critic wasn't thrilled with it but it eases the challenge from the Genesis version, adds some stages, and includes awesome mood-setting music. 

Playing good Sega CD games always depresses me.  If only Sega had played to the add-on's strengths. 

Pauly

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Pauly » December 27th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Sega cd strengths : scaling and rotation, great sound. Weakness' : not exploiting those strengths and not adding more color.

Danthor

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Danthor » December 29th, 2009, 1:45 am

Sonic CD is a solid bet, but I gotta reccomend The Terminator.

rift(t)

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby rift(t) » January 25th, 2010, 10:50 pm

So I dusted off the ol' jvc x'eye and have been playing some sega cd games the past few days.  I've gotten really addicted to Ground Zero Texas.  The game is still hard as heck but I find it enjoyable.  I played a little bit of Surgical Strike but I don't like it as much - there is too much going on and its hard to figure out what and when to shoot.

After playing Hoverstrike for the Jaguar (which I enjoyed) I popped in Stellar Fire for sega cd and egad! this game is bad.  Maybe I just havent figured it out yet but it seems like a mess. 

Return to “Classic Gaming”