Why Won't Sega CD Play Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » June 30th, 2010, 5:16 pm

Wow only a year late!

Nice Necro!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 3rd, 2010, 4:52 am

[QUOTE=Thebawwradar]

[QUOTE=Protoman]Ouch...Well I heard the Sega CD model 1 was made badly and the disk tray would stop working after a while... This may be your problem. =/
[/QUOTE]

To be more accurate, the second model was the least practically designed, and was much less reliable.

The first is more sturdy, and the disk tray was much more robust.
[/QUOTE]

That goes against everything I've ever seen. The model 1 Sega CD is far less reliable then the model 2 with the flip top lid.

Orion Pimpdaddy

Postby Orion Pimpdaddy » August 9th, 2010, 12:15 am

I'm not a technician, but I had to study this issue a lot to help remedy my own Sega CD problems on two broken units I had.

First of all, this thread got off on the wrong foot.  The problem with the memory and the problem with the system not booting up the game are totally different problems that don't affect each other.  The original memory cartridge was either broken or had dirty contacts. 

Now, the two main issues with the Model 1 are:

1) The fuse blows.  This would cause the system to not power up at all. (not applicable to this situation since he said the system came on)

2) The cheap tray and gears related to it get "out of sinc."  When this happens, the tray can be ejected and the game can be inserted, but when it shuts the tray, it doesn't run the game, and it goes to the "CD screen."  Basically, the system does not detect the game, so it acts as if it is empty.  There's a video or two on Youtube that deals with this, but it's been a while when I last checked.

Other things that can go wrong: bad laser, dirty lens (as mentioned), and corroded contacts between the Genesis and the Sega CD.

The reliablility is poor for both Model 1 and Model 2, but judging from my experiences in studying the subject, the Model 1 has the highest fail rate of any video game system, ever.  I think a lot of them have been thrown away,  making it more rare than it should be.  The Model 2 does have problems, I just think is runs better overall, which isn't saying much.

Return to “Classic Gaming”