Toxic Virtual Boy Games to Avoid

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
GameBoy Girl

Postby GameBoy Girl » June 4th, 2009, 5:50 pm

You know, it really seems like the Virtual Boy was the worst system ever made.  Of course, those of you familiar with the R-Zone will know better.  But there really was a horrible library of games for the Virtual Boy - virtually every opportunity to make a good game was ruined.  3-D pinball? RUINED.  3-D boxing? RUINED.  3-D baseball? RUINED.  That's not to say there weren't any good games (Wario Land was terrific), but three games stand out as the worst ever made:

Waterworld - An attempt by Ocean (get it?) to cash in on a box-office bomb, Waterworld is what gave movie-licensed games their terrible name.  Featuring less gameplay than the LCD units you get in a Happy Meal, Waterworld feels unfinished.  It feels like a mini-game that should be included on some larger game.  Every level is EXACTLY THE SAME - you shoot the same stuff until you get a migraine.  That's it.  That's the entire game.  Have fun.

Virtual Professional Baseball '95/Virtual League Baseball - The American version of this game changed a few things around, but they certainly didn't change how TERRIBLE this game is.  Seriously.  It's one of the worst baseball renditions ever put on a home console.  It is absolutely amazing that such a crude game could be released in 1995 - and on the Virtual Boy, no less.  Taking absolutely NO advantage of the system's capabilities (this might as well be a NES game), there are much better baseball games on the Game Boy.  Or the Odyssey.  Your choice.

Virtual Lab - This is sad.  I mean, really.  It makes me sad.  It's a symbol of the Virtual Boy's rapid decline.  Rushed out in an uncompleted state just before the system stopped being made, Virtual Lab is unfinished from - well, from start to finish.  From the "Ninntendo" licensing to the passwords that CAN'T BE ENTERED, the simplistic puzzle game is repeated over and over after you beat all the levels.  What is this supposed to be?  Intestines leeching onto each other?  There is no ending.  It just repeats itself.  As the last game of a dead system, Virtual Lab is a sad, sad whisper.

What toxic Virtual Boy games would you like to share?

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » June 8th, 2009, 8:11 pm

Their all toxic except for Wario Land and Mario's Tennis

The most would go to Red Alarm

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 9th, 2009, 11:31 am

[QUOTE=GameBoy Girl]You know, it really seems like the Virtual Boy was the worst system ever made.  Of course, those of you familiar with the R-Zone will know better.  But there really was a horrible library of games for the Virtual Boy - virtually every opportunity to make a good game was ruined.  3-D pinball? RUINED.  3-D boxing? RUINED.  3-D baseball? RUINED.  That's not to say there weren't any good games (Wario Land was terrific),[/QUOTE]

Complete and utter tripe.  The Virtual Boy has a very nice library of incredible games.  Galactic Pinball is probably my single favorite Video Pinball game of all time.  There hasn't been a video pinball game that could go strongly against it since it was released -- not even some real winners like Metroid Prime Pinball.

This constant stream of poll and list threads isn't the real issue.  The real issue is that all you are doing is parroting a few critics active at the time.  But on the bright side, at least N64Dude has someone who speaks his rather limited language.

missingno

Postby missingno » June 9th, 2009, 12:48 pm

As much as the system failed, all seven games I own for it are good.

If I had to choose one to be the worst, it'd be Vertical Force, but that's not even bad.

Some look fairly bad such as Waterworld or Red Alarm (it looks like a prototype), but I'll have to actually play them to get a view on them.

TheBawwRadar

Postby TheBawwRadar » June 11th, 2009, 1:49 pm

3D tetris made me quickly grab tetris for the GameBoy as if I gotten my Jugular vein slashed.

Sorry, Tetris and 3D do not need or are wanted in 3D...

Return to “Classic Gaming”