Critic, are you getting Plutos or Sirius for 7800?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Guy

Postby Guy » July 16th, 2009, 12:44 pm

i just watched the You Tube video of this game and it is moving fast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJRQXvQeuew
I do not know why my Super Pacman is not moving fast. I was either there is something wrong with the system, or my pacage was handled poorly and both of my games were damaged. I will try my game again on Friday.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 16th, 2009, 1:43 pm

[QUOTE=Guy]It is my Space Invader game that doesn't work. I do not get any game at all to play.  I shipped that game back to be looked at to find out what may be the problem with that game. They shipped me another Space Invaders and I should get it soon. If it doesn't work then it must be my system. I wouldn't know why because all of my other home brews work.
The speed of Super Pacman is not correct. When Super Pacman is normal size he moves around the screen fast, but when he eats a Super power pellet he slows down. This game is just like the arcade game but for this one thing of slow down.  The Atari 7800 must have a hard time moving large sprites. Super Pacman is not my favorite old arcade game, so I gave it a bid of a low score. The Video Game Critic may give it a higher grade. Most people would give it a B+. The programmer is not the problem it is the power of the system. If Super Pac would speed up it would be a perfect arcade game. If you think about it the Atari 7800 Pacman collection is not arcade perfect. It is a very cool cart with all the game options, but the system is not up to the challenge of having 100 percent arcade graphics. I still give this game a A.

Maybe I will just leave the reviews for the Video Game Critic because he is more fair on reviewing video games.

Guy
[/QUOTE]

Which 7800 homebrews do you have that work?  My prototypes are fine (Missing in Action, KLAX), and Beef Drop is fine (although that one has a Pokey in there).  I can't remember of Space Invaders is a problem with my old system or not.  The rest only worked in my old system after a warm up, so just having some games work might not be proof positive. 

Keep up the reviews.  You don't have to love every homebrew in order to be a fair reviewer. 

Guy

Postby Guy » July 17th, 2009, 12:46 am

I received a new copy of Space Invaders today and it works perfect. Space Invaders for the Atari 7800 is as much fun as Pacman Collection. I give Space Invaders for the Atari 7800 an A+. This game is just like the Arcade. You can even play 2 player at the same time. The options are adjustable for what ever you may want in a Space Invader game. For example moving shields, invisible invaders, colors and the speed of shots. Atarifever is 100 percent correct with this game. It is Super fun!

Now! About Super Pacman. I played it again and I noticed it was still slower than the arcade, but that is no reason to give it a bad grade. The programmer did a great job in making this game. After playing this game again I realize that it must have been a lot of work to make this game like the arcade. Super Pacman was never a favorite of mine, but any fan that loves Super Pacman will love this game. A lot of hard work was put into this game and deserves a lot of credit for making this homebrew for the Atari 7800. I should not have looked at the only one flaw that I saw and ran with it. My new grade for this game is a A-.  If you are a Super Pacman fan and you have a Atari 7800 this is a must have game. Personally like I said before this was never my favorite arcade game from the early 1980, but I am sure there are a lot of fans of this game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 18th, 2009, 9:53 pm

I just order Sirius and Plutos from Good Deal Games.

By the way, I would highly recommend this site.  I've known the guy who runs it for a long time, and he's a class act.  I can't tell you how many games I've bought from him over the years.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2009, 7:43 pm

I received these two games the other day, and have been playing them a lot.  Some of you might suspect these are unfinished prototypes, but no, these are complete games - and they are GOOD!  Sirius is an addictive R-Type style game, and Plutos is a vertical-scrolling shooter with 2P support. 

I'm impressed.  Look for a full review soon.

PS: Yes, I moved this review over from one of the other forums.

Return to “Classic Gaming”