NES Battery changing

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Site Admin

NES Battery changing

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2010, 11:18 pm

Last summer my friend Scott replaced the battery in my NES Crystalis cartridge, outfitting it with a battery holder.  Apparently it didn't take because the cart is not saving. 

The battery connects to the board in two places.  I suspect these are the + and - connections.  Does this have to be oriented correctly?

I suspect maybe the battery holder may have been backwards, and I'm planning on turning it around.  Does this make sense?  Any advice is welcome.

NES Battery changing

Postby rift1 » March 3rd, 2010, 1:16 am

The only way to make sure the battery stays put and touches what it needs to is to solder it in to the same spot that the original battery was soldered. 

NES Battery changing

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 3rd, 2010, 10:58 am

You could also use electrical tape. But press real hard with it and then you have to be extra gentle with the cart so it doesn't come loose. That may be a way to test it before you solder. I'm going through the same thing with a lot of my games now as this is the year or so when the batteries will begin to fail. There is a store by me the guy will do all the work replacing it for $10 and I figure that for me and my horrible experience soldering (my poor finger) with the MAME cabinet it's worth it on games like Chrono Trigger, FF series and the like. This site will also do it for you.

Return to “Classic Gaming”