Quake: Saturn vs N64

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Luke

Postby Luke » June 7th, 2010, 2:50 am

Hey guys. I don't own a PC and I'm interested in picking up this game for cheap. So which version would you recommend and why?

All info and opinions welcome.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » June 7th, 2010, 10:20 am

Depends,are you the kind of gamer for  good controls,or simplicity?

The N64 is the ultimate FPS console for sure and Midway did a fantastic job porting it over

But the Saturn version is a lot simpler and more forgiving,Lobotomy did well with this one considering all the disadvantages Saturn had to begin with.

I'd go personally choose 64 because of controls,graphics,and it's probably cheaper.

ReiDemon

Postby ReiDemon » June 7th, 2010, 4:11 pm

I'd recommend the N64 version.

I'd like to note, however, that Quake is also available for Mac and Linux. Since you don't have a PC, that'd probably be a better choice.

micky1

Postby micky1 » June 7th, 2010, 6:06 pm

If you have an analogue controller i would say the Saturn version its the one i have more fun with.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » June 9th, 2010, 2:05 am

Here's an excellent comparison of the two which I'd have to agree with.

http://curmudgeongamer.com/2002/03/platform-shootout-sega-saturn-quake-vs.html

You're in for a good time either way, but if given the choice, I almost always will go for the Saturn port. It impresses me more and seems more faithful to the PC game even if graphically it's not as good as the N64 title.

"The N64 is the ultimate FPS console for sure"

Give me a controller with dual analog sticks anyday for first person shooters. I can't agree with you at all.

Luke

Postby Luke » June 10th, 2010, 1:37 am

Thanks guys. I think I am leaning more towards the Saturn port cause I found out that it has the original PC Quake music from Trent Reznor (of Nine Inch Nails) intact. Plus, it also supports the Analog 3D Controller, which I think is a big plus.

I may eventually pick up the N64 port if I find it for a couple bucks. But for now, I think I'll just try to track down the Saturn port. Thanks

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 10th, 2010, 8:44 pm

The N64 version also includes a 2player mode if that makes any difference.

By the way if you're ever looking at Quake 2 down the road the Quake 2 on the N64 is a completely different game to the PC/PS1 version  (and supports 4 player).

Luke

Postby Luke » June 12th, 2010, 1:15 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]The N64 version also includes a 2player mode if that makes any difference. By the way if you're ever looking at Quake 2 down the road the Quake 2 on the N64 is a completely different game to the PC/PS1 version (and supports 4 player). [/QUOTE]I'll probably play Quake II on the Xbox 360 since it came bundled free with Quake 4. But like the first Quake game.. if I find the N64 version of the sequel for cheap, maybe I'll pick it up just to try it out and see what I think. Thanks for the tip

Return to “Classic Gaming”