What are your top ten favorite GAMES of all time???

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
kaz3211231

Postby kaz3211231 » April 26th, 2014, 11:54 pm

There was a gap of 3 years between my post and the one before it.  It is great I have revitalized this thread.

Some of the games listed on here by people are ones I'll likely try for the first time.  The exploration is fun.

I still fondly remember in Nintendo power-when mega man 2 (my favorite game) was #1 in the ranks for months and months.

Mega man 3 eventually came along-but failed to capture that certain magic of mm2. 

Mega man 2 had such wonderful level design.  Use wood man leaf shield on crashman stage (those platforms).
Use flash stopper on quick man stage (including against the boss itself).
Fully powered up heatman weapon would one-hit kill woodman.
Dr. wily stage one using 'weapon 1' to get from one ladder to another was brilliant and challenging.

Other mega man's I didn't have the fun of rematching all the bosses like in mega man 2.

Mega man 9 and 10, while inspired by mega man 2 of course-seemed too difficult-or maybe I just don't have the patience like I did in the past.

Last but not least, the one weapon which seemed to have very little use (bubble lead), was what you had to use against the final dr. wily.

You can tell I like the game? [tongue]

kaz3211231

Postby kaz3211231 » April 27th, 2014, 1:03 am

[QUOTE=J_B_Philouza] and Galxian (Atari 5200).
[/QUOTE]

A very good choice of game.  This version plays unlike other versions.

I actually ENJOYED the sometimes distorted sound effects that would be heard by only the Atari 5200 when too many things were happening at once.

The galaxians would make very different strange sound effects when they would swoop down on you.  The other game that would be fun for that...Atari 5200 Kangaroo.  I used to enjoy just standing on one of the levels and dodging all the apples thrown at me.  Sometimes the vertical and horizontal monkeys would throw apples at the same exact time, and the Atari would make a very strange distorted sound effect.  I'm very sensitive to sound effects-so I really liked that.

The movie "The last mimzy" had a final scene where that 'space bridge' thing was being constructed-and I loved the sound effect they made for it.  In the behind the scenes they said they used 2000 simultaneous sound samples from the whole movie to make that sound effect.

The other part of galaxian that's really fun-you should try this sometime...try to destroy an incoming galaxian by NOT firing at it, but wait for it to actually touch the front part of your ship.  If you do it exactly right-you will destroy the galaxian and not lose a life.

My friend and I used to play Atari 5200 football SO MUCH.  It is a very deep game with more plays than you'd realize.  You really can throw long passes (even tho this site claims you cannot).  I believe the play is something like 3-2 or 3-3.  You make your quarterback go up and to the left, and then throw right before you hit the out of bounds, to the receiver on the far lower right of the screen.

It would get an A- from me at least, considering the incredible depth of plays that were possible (I can think of no game with so much complexity for Atari 5200).  The fact it takes 1 hour to run across the field IS cheesy tho [tongue]

I've written a novel-thanks for reading [tongue]

kaz3211231

Postby kaz3211231 » April 27th, 2014, 8:54 am

[QUOTE=J_B_Philouza] and Galxian (Atari 5200).
[/QUOTE]

A very good choice of game.  This version plays unlike other versions.

I actually ENJOYED the sometimes distorted sound effects that would be heard by only the Atari 5200 when too many things were happening at once.

The galaxians would make very different strange sound effects when they would swoop down on you.  The other game that would be fun for that...Atari 5200 Kangaroo.  I used to enjoy just standing on one of the levels and dodging all the apples thrown at me.  Sometimes the vertical and horizontal monkeys would throw apples at the same exact time, and the Atari would make a very strange distorted sound effect.  I'm very sensitive to sound effects-so I really liked that.

The movie "The last mimzy" had a final scene where that 'space bridge' thing was being constructed-and I loved the sound effect they made for it.  In the behind the scenes they said they used 2000 simultaneous sound samples from the whole movie to make that sound effect.

The other part of galaxian that's really fun-you should try this sometime...try to destroy an incoming galaxian by NOT firing at it, but wait for it to actually touch the front part of your ship.  If you do it exactly right-you will destroy the galaxian and not lose a life.

My friend and I used to play Atari 5200 football SO MUCH.  It is a very deep game with more plays than you'd realize.  You really can throw long passes (even tho this site claims you cannot).  I believe the play is something like 3-2 or 3-3.  You make your quarterback go up and to the left, and then throw right before you hit the out of bounds, to the receiver on the far lower right of the screen.

It would get an A- from me at least, considering the incredible depth of plays that were possible (I can think of no game with so much complexity for Atari 5200).  The fact it takes 1 hour to run across the field IS cheesy tho [tongue]

I've written a novel-thanks for reading [tongue]

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » April 27th, 2014, 9:13 am

@kaz321123

Of the games I accidentally omitted from my list, Mega Man 2 was the biggest mistake. I
got that game for Christmas back in 1989 without even knowing what it was and being
skeptical because of the cheesy American cover art and I ended up playing it for most of 
my Christmas vacation. I still play it every few years, and I even learned some of the
stage music on guitar.

Protoman851

Postby Protoman851 » September 10th, 2014, 5:12 pm

1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
5. Mega Man II
6. Tetris
7. Resident Evil
8. Star Wars Jedi Academy
9. Yakuza 2
10. Command & Conquer Red Alert

Yakuza 2 I played in 2012 for the first time, it edged out Duke Nukem 3D to make me change the list I first made in 2009, it was that good!

scotland

Re: What are your top ten favorite GAMES of all time???

Postby scotland » April 11th, 2016, 8:32 pm

Bumping this thread as Dave works on his 50 games list.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 11th, 2016, 10:47 pm

Man, this is tough, but I'll try.

10. Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)
9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (N64)
8. Sonic 2 (Genesis)
7. NBA Jam (Wii)
6. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Genesis)
5. Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii)
4. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
3. Star Fox 64 (N64)
2. Paper Mario (N64)
1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

JWK

Postby JWK » April 12th, 2016, 12:22 pm

@Scotland - oh man. I don't think the Critic likes these types of threads. Are you trying to get me banned?!?! Ha ha

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 15th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Hmm...For a long time I was primarily a sports game guy, but am trying to branch out as I collect games...this is what comes to mind at the moment:

10: Mike Tyson's Punchout on NES
9: SimCity 3000 Unlimited on PC
8: La Russa Baseball 95 on Genesis
7: Madden 99 on N64 (something about this year...sophomore year in college)
6: Everything or Nothing on PS2
5: Gran Turismo 3 on PS2
4: PGA Tour Golf 3 on Genesis (PGA & PGA II are both great as well, but this has all the bells and whistles)
3: NHL 97 on Genesis (94 - 98 are all good, this has just gotten the most playing time from me)
2: Pirates! Gold on Genesis
1: Goldeneye on N64

Rev

Postby Rev » April 15th, 2016, 8:19 pm

10. Snatcher
9.Metal Gear Solid
8.Super Mario Galaxy 2
7.Mario Kart DS
6.Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
5.Super Mario World
4.Super Smash Bros. Brawl
3.Cool Boarders 2
2.The Last of Us
1.Super Smash Bros.

Return to “Classic Gaming”