The all time worst console ever made?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » April 28th, 2011, 6:17 am

[QUOTE=Leo]I have to disagree with all the mentions of the Jaguar in this thread.

Let's just base our analysis off the Critic's 55 review scores for the console to make a quick and unscientific look at it's quality. There are 2 A's, 6 A-'s, 6 B+'s, 7 B's, and 4 B-'s in those 55 review scores. That's nearly half of the total number of games reviewed for the system (Which includes the bulk of the library) that are very positive and suggest that they're well worth playing. I suspect if I checked some of the other review databases here and took a count, this has one of the higher percentages of good games out there. And the Critic's review section even misses some  popular titles for the console (Doom, for example).

[/QUOTE]

I believe that the critic said that the letters should essentially balance each other out within a console's review section. He scores them against the other games on their console.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 28th, 2011, 3:08 pm

I've seen him state that and I'm sure that affects review scores some.

But I'm quite certain that any game that the Critic gives an A or a B score to is something he feels is very worthwhile even beyond the confines of that console's specific library of titles. He's not giving F material an A just because it sucks a little less than the rest of the F's in the lineup.

ShadowAngel1

Postby ShadowAngel1 » May 9th, 2011, 8:58 am

The thing with the Jaguar is: Most of the great games are just conversions of Amiga/PC/Genesis games: Flashback, Braindead 13, Dragon's Lair, Tempest 2000, Pinball Fantasies, Sensible Soccer, Soccer Kid, Syndicate, Rayman, Wolfenstein 3D, Zool and countless others.
A console should be rated by it's exclusive titles and not games that were also released on so many other systems (which sometimes where even better)

For example the be Wolfenstein 3D  version is the Mac version. The best Dragon's Lair version is the Arcade version, the best Flashback version is the Amiga version and the first Sensible Soccer version was pretty lame compared to what came later on Amiga and PC (Sensible World of Soccer)
There aren't that many great exclusive Jaguar games. There's a reason why most people only remember Aliens vs. Predator.
(And for example, i don't think that Super Burnout should be rated with an A

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 9th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Tempest 2000 is most certainly not a conversion of a PC/Genesis/Amiga title. The Jaguar version is the original and the PC/Mac and 32 bit console versions came later and weren't even done by Jeff Minter and aren't held in as high of regard due to mistakes and changes that were done that negatively affected the experience.

The Jaguar has several excellent exclusives. Alien vs. Predator, Super Burnout (One of the finest console 2d scaling sprite racers the console world ever got), Battlemorph, Iron Soldier, and Iron Soldier II all come to mind.

And those multiplatform releases you don't think should be considered were typically the best console version of the game available at the time (And with several of these, the Jaguar version remains the best console version available to this day). I know that to be the case for Tempest 2000 (Still the best console version), Cannon Fodder (Best console version), Doom, Dragon's Lair, Flashback (Still the best console version), Sensible Soccer, Raiden, Myst, Power Drive Rally (Better than the Genesis version), Pitfall (I've never played the Sega CD/32X versions, but I wouldn't be surprised if this build was considered the definitive one), Rayman (There's a bit of room for debate here since the 32 bit cd versions have some advantages and disadvantages, but I prefer the Jaguar release), and Wolfenstein 3D.

The multiplatform releases on the Jaguar aren't something to be dismissed, especially if you're a classic gamer and don't want to resort to experiencing something like Wolfenstein 3D, Dragon's Lair, or Sensible Soccer on a modern console.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » May 9th, 2011, 12:30 pm

Calling Rayman a port is like calling the Saturn version of Tomb Raider a port. I don't think you can get much more insulting than that,calling a game that was originally exclusive a port.

What's next RE 4 is just a port of a PS2 game?

Oh the madness

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 9th, 2011, 5:58 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]

Calling Rayman a port is like calling the Saturn version of Tomb Raider a port.[/QUOTE]

Actually that would be perfectly reasonable considering the Saturn version was released more than a year after the Playstation edition.  Who's mad now?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 9th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Wikipedia doesn't explicity state it, but it does look like the Saturn was the lead development platform for Tomb Raider. It was released on that platform first, and the article mentions that the "first glints of the game were seen on Sega Saturn development kits."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(1996_video_game)

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » May 10th, 2011, 6:22 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=N64Dude]

Calling Rayman a port is like calling the Saturn version of Tomb Raider a port.[/QUOTE]

Actually that would be perfectly reasonable considering the Saturn version was released more than a year after the Playstation edition.  Who's mad now?

[/QUOTE]
According to who? I can't find any information supporting your claim.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » May 11th, 2011, 5:43 pm

First, I'm almost certain Tomb Raider was released by Playstation first, I remember renting it in 1996, and I'm also willing to bet that it blows the Saturn version away. As far as the Jaguar with its so called substantial library of mediocre ports, and lack of first party games. Battlemorph, Iron Soldier 1 and 2 come to mind off the top of my head, and while I haven't cause a stink over it, those games are awesome and should probably be graded a little higher. Those were 1st party exclusives. World Tour Racing and Hover Strike (very underrated) are also 1st party. To the ridiculous notion about the ports. Zool 2 is frankly incredible and Rayman too, I haven't played other ports but I don't need to. Wolfenstein 3d is awesome too. Who cares if the computer version might be a little better.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 11th, 2011, 5:49 pm

The source is ME!  I lived through that era.  Tomb Raider was a big selling point for the original Playstation.

I subscribed to all the gaming magazines in the late 90's (EGM, Gamepro, etc) and I remember all the letters from readers asking when Tomb Raider would be available for the Saturn.  By the time it was finally released on the Saturn, Tomb Raider 2 was out or ready to be released for the Playstation.  And while Tomb Raider was considered a decent version, most critics didn't think it was as good as the Playstation.

Return to “Classic Gaming”