Advice Wars 2

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Josh

Advice Wars 2

Postby Josh » August 24th, 2010, 12:56 am

Anybody here play Advance Wars 2 much?

I love the series but am stuck on the Ring Islands level on AW 2.

Anybody got any suggestions. I've tried just about everything and still get my but whooped.

steer

Advice Wars 2

Postby steer » August 24th, 2010, 7:29 am

I am the Advance Wars master - describe the scenario for me.

Josh

Advice Wars 2

Postby Josh » August 24th, 2010, 10:56 am

It's in the war room mode of AW2. You are placed in the midst of three islands with two other enemy CO's on each coast (north and south). On of them is that freaking redneck dude that has upped long range attacks. The other is the old fat navy guy with a beard.

I can capture all the islands quickly but from there it goes downhill.

steer

Advice Wars 2

Postby steer » August 24th, 2010, 7:11 pm

I sold the game, but I do believe I remember this.

I believe you are fighting for supremecy of the center island?

I believe I spammed bazzoka dudes and landing crafts, and used the landing crafts to 'hold' the harbors and landing areas when they were done deploying troops to the island. 

It ussually takes 2 turns for the enemy to destry a landing craft, so you can keep using the extra ones to plug holes and occupy squares. They are cheap cannon fodder, you can make a LC and 2 men a turn I think.

Once you occupy the base there I built artilery to control the island and the shores with in range.

From there it was downhill. If I am not remembering the right mission I guess I would have to recommend gamefaqs. I have put untold hours into the advance wars games and awiat the next one eagerly.

Josh

Advice Wars 2

Postby Josh » August 24th, 2010, 8:11 pm

No, I'm actually fighting from the center island but thanks anyway.

I too have put too many hours in those games to count. I saw the sun come up a couple of times and realized I needed to seriously discipline my playing time!

I've tried gamefaqs but they only have faqs for the campaign - not the war room maps.

ReiDemon

Advice Wars 2

Postby ReiDemon » August 24th, 2010, 8:45 pm

When given the choice, I picked a copy of Fire Emblem instead. ._.

Is this game particularly expensive or rare? It's one game that I really want now.

Josh

Advice Wars 2

Postby Josh » August 24th, 2010, 11:25 pm

No, it's cheap - I saw one for 5.99 at Gamestop the other day.

Definitely worth the time I have put in it

Pixelcade1

Advice Wars 2

Postby Pixelcade1 » August 25th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Sorry man I love the series but I typically play skirmishes.

Josh

Advice Wars 2

Postby Josh » August 25th, 2010, 2:13 pm

@Pix, yeah I prefer the pre-deployed skirmishes too but I also like the challenge of starting from scratch.

I finally figured it out last night. I had to pick Sami and use her quick capture ability. I tricked the AI into focusing on some troops landing in one area while I sent another boatload to quickly capture HQ. Once that was taken care of, taking out the other CO was a piece of cake - got an A ranking - not bad.

The AI in AW2 is much harder than AW1. A lot of the old tricks simply won't work. But man, it's really rewarding when you outsmart the sucka.

rift1

Advice Wars 2

Postby rift1 » August 25th, 2010, 2:46 pm

How is Advance Wars "classic gaming" ?  

Return to “Classic Gaming”