New Atari 7800 Expansion Module to be released

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Allpaul1

Postby Allpaul1 » September 21st, 2010, 8:43 pm

Curt Vendel over at Atariage is building new Expansion Modules for the 7800, that include High Score/Expanded RAM/Pokey Audio/ Yamaha Audio/ I/O Expansion Ports for homebrew developers to utilize in upcoming games. With the amazing homebrew already out for the system, I can't imangine what they'll come up with now! Go check it out for yourselves..  Just trying to spread the word...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/165886-7800-piggyback-expansion-module-comes-to-life/

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/167879-expansion-modules-%231-and-%232/

atari-forever

Postby atari-forever » September 22nd, 2010, 4:20 pm

Yeah, I'm debating with myself over this one. I would like to have it as I love the 7800 and the homebrews that have been coming out for it are very promising. I would hate to be excluded from future releases if most of them require the Expansion Module.

But it's pretty expensive (would be about $108 shipped for me and that's with a 10% pre-order discount). I think I would need to see some great original games in the works for it to justify the purchase. So far, all I've seen is a Gauntlet-like game called Dungeon. It looks nice, but Gauntlet IV for the Genesis meets all my Gauntlet needs and I doubt anyone could surpass that on the 7800, expansion module or not.  

Still, it's such a niche item that I could probably buy it and if it didn't live up to my expectations, I could make my money back by selling it on ebay. Probably. Hmmm.

Allpaul1

Postby Allpaul1 » September 22nd, 2010, 6:16 pm

That's a good point. The other cool thing is when the new Harmony cart comes out, it will be able to utilize all the cool enhancements. From what I've seen, the 7800 homebrewers are cool about releasing roms of their games for the most part.. Apparently, all the new stuff the module provides was all planned for the 7800 in the first place, minus the Yamaha sound chip. It will clear the way for the planned Keyboard attachment and disk drives.. 

Here's a link to the new H2 cart:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/165892-h2/

And here is a link to the 7800 forums. There are multiple threads about the module including how to order, and some of the proposed games for it...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/4-atari-7800/

atari-forever

Postby atari-forever » September 22nd, 2010, 9:48 pm

[QUOTE=Allpaul]That's a good point. The other cool thing is when the new Harmony cart comes out, it will be able to utilize all the cool enhancements. From what I've seen, the 7800 homebrewers are cool about releasing roms of their games for the most part.. Apparently, all the new stuff the module provides was all planned for the 7800 in the first place, minus the Yamaha sound chip. It will clear the way for the planned Keyboard attachment and disk drives.. 

Here's a link to the new H2 cart:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/165892-h2/

And here is a link to the 7800 forums. There are multiple threads about the module including how to order, and some of the proposed games for it...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/forum/4-atari-7800/

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the H2 is a must. I've been hoping for that since before they announced they were working on it. That's another 100 bones, but I figure I can justify that as there are easily 10 homebrews I'm interested in having. And then there's the added convenience of having all the old games on one cart and not having to root around for that one game anymore.

Apparently, the H2 by itself won't come with a POKEY chip for improved sound, though. You're saying, that if you use the H2 with the XM and you play a game that is programmed to use the advanced chips, it will sound right? If so, that's a big plus since sound has been such a glaring deficiency for the 7800.  

Allpaul1

Postby Allpaul1 » September 23rd, 2010, 4:02 pm

That's what I'm understanding. Also on the game tip, Curt posted this:
3 Dev's are working on games so far, they will make their own announcements...

So I guess I'll wait and see..

Guy

Postby Guy » November 8th, 2010, 11:28 am

I want to see the games first. It might end up being like the Sega 32X or even worse. There might not be any games. It is like releasing a system on release date with no games to play.

Guy

Postby Guy » November 8th, 2010, 11:42 am

I thought about it and it will not work. Developers are better off adding extra ram and sound chips to each cartridge. There will not enough people willing to keep this new add on marketable. A lot of people buy the homebrews now because they already have the system.

The games will cost more with the extra ram and sound chips, but more people will buy the games.

How much extra Ram does this add on have? Is it a big difference?

atari-forever

Postby atari-forever » November 9th, 2010, 1:45 am

[QUOTE=Guy]

I thought about it and it will not work. Developers are better off adding extra ram and sound chips to each cartridge. There will not enough people willing to keep this new add on marketable. A lot of people buy the homebrews now because they already have the system.

The games will cost more with the extra ram and sound chips, but more people will buy the games.

[/QUOTE]
This is such a niche product, marketability doesn't enter into it. This is for hardcore Atarians, by hardcore Atarians. People sell homebrew products, but I seriously doubt anyone is getting rich off of them. Really, the homebrew carts are just fun collectibles since the ROMs are released freely.

Even if this module is wildly successful, the number of units produced will be in the mid-hundreds. The first run is 300 units and has already sold more than 150 which is apparently more than enough to move forward.

I'm going to give it a shot. It's disconcerting that only one new game has been announced for it so far, but this being a hobbyist effort I think it's too much to expect a full launch line-up. Combined with the forthcoming H2 flash cart, this will allow my 7800 to be all it can be!

Guy

Postby Guy » November 9th, 2010, 12:37 pm

[QUOTE=atari-forever][QUOTE=Guy]

[/QUOTE]
This is such a niche product, marketability doesn't enter into it. This is for hardcore Atarians, by hardcore Atarians. People sell homebrew products, but I seriously doubt anyone is getting rich off of them. Really, the homebrew carts are just fun collectibles since the ROMs are released freely.

Even if this module is wildly successful, the number of units produced will be in the mid-hundreds. The first run is 300 units and has already sold more than 150 which is apparently more than enough to move forward.

I'm going to give it a shot. It's disconcerting that only one new game has been announced for it so far, but this being a hobbyist effort I think it's too much to expect a full launch line-up. Combined with the forthcoming H2 flash cart, this will allow my 7800 to be all it can be!

[/QUOTE]

I would like to see some pictures of a few games for it before I buy one. I sent an e-mail out and I found out that Pacman, Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong, and a new Gauntlet-type game that takes advantage of both the extra memory and Pokey sounds are coming out for it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 9th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Is there a page that explains in detail what this thing does?  I don't know what some of the features mean.

Return to “Classic Gaming”