What was your first console?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Jeremy Duer

Postby Jeremy Duer » July 19th, 2011, 7:31 pm

I grew up with an Apple II clone because my dad was to cheap to buy the real thing. Most of the games barely worked when I'd get then from the store, I think I had no idea about the expanding of computers at 5 years old. My dad saved me when he brought home a Sega Master System to spite the geeks in my hood that played nintendo, he later admitted the 7800 would have been a better buy at the time, but in my town he couldn't find one. I was pretty much a Sega kid until they imploded.

PokeCJG

Postby PokeCJG » August 30th, 2011, 12:42 pm

I actually got two consoles to start me off for Xmas, A Playstation and a Game boy Color, The Playstation came with Tomb Raider and Twisted Metal (Which I both still own); and the GBC came with two games which basically summed up my early childhood: Pokémon Red and Pokémon Silver.

I sold my PSX when the PS2 came out and I was impressed that it was backwards compatible with my old games, and the same story for my Game Boy Color when the Advance came out.

Ah, those were the days...

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » August 30th, 2011, 12:58 pm

[QUOTE=Jeremy Duer]I grew up with an Apple II clone because my dad was to cheap to buy the real thing. Most of the games barely worked when I'd get then from the store, I think I had no idea about the expanding of computers at 5 years old. My dad saved me when he brought home a Sega Master System to spite the geeks in my hood that played nintendo, he later admitted the 7800 would have been a better buy at the time, but in my town he couldn't find one. I was pretty much a Sega kid until they imploded.[/QUOTE]

I like the 7800, but I don't see how it would have been a better buy over the Master System. Both systems are equally interesting to retrogamers today, but, back then, the SMS certainly had an edge with better graphics and sound, and newer games you couldn't find on other consoles.

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » August 31st, 2011, 1:08 am

Pixelcade
Presents
Colecovision

PacMan000

Postby PacMan000 » August 31st, 2011, 3:08 pm

Jeremy's Dad was probable looking at the advertised price; the 7800 was cheaper than the Master System, wasn't it?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » August 31st, 2011, 3:30 pm

I think you're right, it probably was cheaper.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » March 20th, 2012, 8:51 pm

I know I'm resurrecting an old topic, but there appears to be some new people here. 

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 21st, 2012, 9:10 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz][QUOTE=Jeremy Duer]I grew up with an Apple II clone because my dad was to cheap to buy the real thing. Most of the games barely worked when I'd get then from the store, I think I had no idea about the expanding of computers at 5 years old. My dad saved me when he brought home a Sega Master System to spite the geeks in my hood that played nintendo, he later admitted the 7800 would have been a better buy at the time, but in my town he couldn't find one. I was pretty much a Sega kid until they imploded.[/QUOTE]

I like the 7800, but I don't see how it would have been a better buy over the Master System. Both systems are equally interesting to retrogamers today, but, back then, the SMS certainly had an edge with better graphics and sound, and newer games you couldn't find on other consoles.[/QUOTE]
I have to agree the SMS was better than the A7800... though I used to love Atari when the Tramiels got a hold of it ... it went down hill fast....

Luigi & Peach

Re: What was your first console?

Postby Luigi & Peach » November 11th, 2015, 9:54 am

To re-ressurect an old thread that I thought was interesting, here you go. I believe it would have been the Christmas of1987 when I was 7 years old. I had asked for a video game system, not knowing there were systems other than the NES. I ended up getting an Atari 7800 with Pole position II and Super Skateboarding ( biggest misnomer ever, but Super Energy Efficiency Man doesn't sound as cool). I'll never claim it's a better system than the NES but along with a few new games at the time and quite a few 2600 hand- me- downs it was pretty fun. The funny thing is I can still hook it up and play it today with minimal problem ( played some Food Fight recently), but I had to have my 360 repaired after only 3 years. Another victory for simplicity!

Wallyworld

Re: What was your first console?

Postby Wallyworld » November 12th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Summer of 1981 my dad brought home the Mattel Intellivision. I was 4 and still remember loving the hell out of it. My girl friend at the time had 2600 and I had pac man. I don't remember hating that port then like I do today.

Return to “Classic Gaming”