The Sega Saturn

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Roperious1

The Sega Saturn

Postby Roperious1 » October 27th, 2010, 9:39 am

I'm not sure what it is but I love my Saturn. What is it about this machine?? 

Oltobaz1

The Sega Saturn

Postby Oltobaz1 » October 27th, 2010, 11:21 am

The last major home system with a strong focus on
2D, if you skip the handhelds?

Orion1

The Sega Saturn

Postby Orion1 » October 27th, 2010, 1:42 pm

It was stuck between the 2D generation and the 3D generation, which created some interesting results.

The selection of games, and the variety in them, is pretty robust, especially if you import.

micky1

The Sega Saturn

Postby micky1 » October 27th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Maybe because it was the first consoles you wanted but your parents got you the cheaper Playstation at the time. Then again i grew up not knowing what one was and i still think its awesome, and of course the 2d games aged much better than the 3d ones. For whatever reason the Saturn is just awesome and even if a 3d port is inferior i would still prefer it on that system for some reason.  

Luke

The Sega Saturn

Postby Luke » October 27th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Probably because it's a Sega Product.

Despite some of the crap that Sega produced in the 90's with the Sega CD and 32X, the Saturn and Dreamcast just felt like actual gaming machines. Whereas the PlayStation2 and later the Xbox seemed to start taking on that multimedia persona (PS2 with DVD, and Xbox with large built-in hard drive and fonus on better online support).

I guess you could say the Gamecube was a real gaming machine, too. But you're right.. there's just something about a good Sega product that feels good as a gamer.

Maybe just because Sega knows its video games? I mean, if you go back and look at the history of great arcade games you'll see Sega's name isted frequently.

N64Dude1

The Sega Saturn

Postby N64Dude1 » October 28th, 2010, 11:50 pm

I'll tell you why and I can think of 3 reasons without mentioning the games.

1. Sexy layout (Bad-ass window so you can see the CD spin around and around along with the asthethtically pleasing buttons and cartridge slot,it's in the slickest black color,and it looks like it could take a sledgehammer)

2.Great controllers (Equally good looking,Model 1 is perfect for big hands,great D-Pad and Face Buttons,Model 2 has great shoulder buttons and works best with 2D games)

3.Awesome-sauce intro (Great boot-up and the menu is still really useful,I currently use it for audio books when I'm not playing games and the interface is great)

Mind you that's without the games,then you've got some of the most original games in existence like Mr. Bones or NiGHTs or even Astal.

cory

The Sega Saturn

Postby cory » October 30th, 2010, 10:54 am

I remember wanting one really badly when it came out, and then before I knew it the thing had vanished. I found one brand new at K-mart for $40 and bought it (this was a little before Dreamcast came out). I love the stupid giant Sega Saturn boxes the games come in, the console box is awesome too and Panzer Dragoon rocks. There is just something about it; I too like getting the Saturn versions of the games from the 90s when I can.

esawk

The Sega Saturn

Postby esawk » October 30th, 2010, 10:47 pm

I love the Saturn. Something about it makes me still play it from time to time. I currently playing World Series Baseball 98 and I'm playing as Philadelphia vs. Oakland in the World Series.
I know the critic loves this game and it is probably the best baseball game I've played. I'll let you know how the series turns out.
Ya, I love the Dreamcast too.

atari-forever

The Sega Saturn

Postby atari-forever » October 31st, 2010, 4:36 pm

[QUOTE=esawk]I'm currently playing World Series Baseball 98 and I'm playing as Philadelphia vs. Oakland in the World Series.
I know the critic loves this game and it is probably the best baseball game I've played. I'll let you know how the series turns out.
[/QUOTE]
Let's go Oak-land! 

Blueguy93

The Sega Saturn

Postby Blueguy93 » November 5th, 2010, 6:26 pm

The Saturn was an overlooked system, so it has a lot of hidden gems that people can probably purchase easily.

Return to “Classic Gaming”