Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 20th, 2011, 11:35 pm

In the 90's the Playstation kicked Saturn's butt, but in recent years it seems like the Saturn has aged better and is more highly regarded by collectors. 

I think this is largely because the system was ignored by most the first time around, so only many years later are many gamers discovering what the system had to offer.  Although the PS was generally better when it came to 3D graphics, the Saturn excelled in other areas like 2D games, light gun titles, and arcade titles. 

Personally I have been fascinated with the Saturn in recent years and prefer to play it over my Playstation.

Which system do you think is aging better?  Which would you rather play?

Leo1

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby Leo1 » January 21st, 2011, 12:05 am

I think the Saturn has a special place in my heart because 2D was so important still for the system. And I think there's a certain fascination about it and a mythical quality since, for many Saturn owners, we have only been able to read about certain gems for the platform due to many nice games not being localized and released at home.

But for every excellent 2D game on the Saturn, there are several on the PSOne due to the platform being so successful and having such a long life. Seems to contradict what I said in the first paragraph about the importance 2D gaming had to the Saturn compared to the PSOne. But despite the PSOne's reliance on 3D, the vast size of it's library has meant it still recieved many more 2D gems than the Saturn during it's short and limited life ever did.

I love both, but the PSOne still has the edge for me in 2011. There is simply many more games I love on it than there are on the Saturn., even when we just limit it to the 2D libraries of each console. It also doesn't hurt that I'm not a fan of fighters. Much of the 2D love people have for the Saturn is due to that very genre, and I just don't enjoy them so they have never entered the equation for me.

Luke

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby Luke » January 21st, 2011, 3:24 am

I like the Saturn more than the original Playstation. But the truth is that the PS1 had a much stronger library of games. And that's not just because the Saturn got knocked out early either. I think the PS1 had a great library right from the start. It just took awhile for me to catch on because back then I was a big arcade gamer, so I loved Daytona and all the Virtua games.

But if I had to choose one over the other now, I'd pick the Playstation. The majority of the games just seemed to be of higher quality than the Saturn. They seemed like... a less pixelated mess, if you know what I mean. ha

JesusSaves

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby JesusSaves » January 21st, 2011, 7:25 am

Playstation ≥ Saturn > N64

The Saturn very closely rivals the PS, but I think the PS wins out barely in the end. Both of them have loads of great exclusive titles. The N64 is pretty lackluster by comparison to both (just my opinion). As much as I like the SNES, I think they really missed the mark with the N64 in terms of quantity of quality titles.

steer

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby steer » January 21st, 2011, 8:21 am

[QUOTE=Leo]2D was nearly absent on the N64. Makes it hard for me to think of it as the best of the generation, although I generally preferred playing 3D games on it over the PSOne and Saturn.
[/QUOTE]

generally preferred playing 3D games (on N64)

Generally preferred? Looks at Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Goldeneye 64, the most important and influential 3-d games of all time....I guess that might be considered an understatement.

I remember once playing Call of Duty  multiplayer on a friends PS1 - the draw distance was so poor you could shoot a rocket launcher at someone and it would come out of thin air on their screen....ugh. Man, I am not a fan of the PSOne library, let me tell you, I agree it has not aged as well. Its 3-d graphics are as bad as DS 3-d graphics today on top of that....

Never played a Saturn, but maybe one day I will have to track one down....

Verm1

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby Verm1 » January 21st, 2011, 8:39 am

As a fan of 3D fighters, the Playstation dominated the Saturn and N64 for me and still does, as I'm more likely to play a 3D fighter than any other genre on those consoles.

Though all three consoles have good games in all genres.

0-Storm

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby 0-Storm » January 21st, 2011, 9:14 am

PS2's can play PS1 games. That's why PS1's are worth $20 or less. If PS2's couldn't play PS1 games then the PS1 would get about as much love as the Saturn does now. The part about gamers missing the Saturn the first time around does carry some merit however.  

cory

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby cory » January 21st, 2011, 12:44 pm

I actually sold my PlayStation a while ago because I needed money. The thought of selling my Saturn never even crossed my mind...

Roperious1

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby Roperious1 » January 21st, 2011, 12:58 pm

I love the Sega Saturn. I easily spend the most time with it. That being said the N64 and the PS1 both have excellent titles. 

I just love to love the Saturn. Period. 

Luke

Playstation Vs. Saturn?

Postby Luke » January 21st, 2011, 3:36 pm

[QUOTE=steer]I remember once playing Call of Duty multiplayer on a friends PS1 - the draw distance was so poor you could shoot a rocket launcher at someone and it would come out of thin air on their screen....ugh. [/QUOTE]They didn't make Call of Duty on the PS1, sir. Surely you're thinking of Medal of Honor?

Return to “Classic Gaming”