Playstation Vs. Nintendo 64

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 30th, 2011, 4:43 pm

What I meant was that once a system's lifespan is over, then you can review all the games and see how many great games there were. I was comparing the N64 to the Jaguar because during their lifespan both systems had some terrible years where there were only 1 or 2 good games released, which was unacceptable if you owned the system back in the mid 90s during its life cycle. Whereas the PS1 had great launch titles and always had a steady stream of quality releases, never having a lean year or even a lean 6 months. When you collect a N64 or Jag now you don't have to put up with that. I have to admit that back in the mid 90s, when I had both a PS1 and N64 I was furious at Nintendo for having so few games, and I was a bigger fan of the PS1 back then. Now, though, the whole N64 library is available and it blows the PS1 away...Back to the Jag to switch the topic for a minute, they have had private companies release games for them way after the system's lifespan which ended in 94. And a few of those games are awesome. C'mon, would you really rather have a PS1 (which can't play PS2 games) over an N64?

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » March 30th, 2011, 5:16 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]would you really rather have a PS1 (which can't play PS2 games) over an N64?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 31st, 2011, 10:35 am

I's rather have them both. Had I to choose though, I'd certainly go for the PS1.

Potts

Postby Potts » April 7th, 2011, 4:45 pm

[QUOTE=Logan Ruckman]

[QUOTE=nesfan]N64 didn't have any RPG's either. Well it had two or three but it didn't have the only kind of RPG I care about, which is turn-based. [/QUOTE]
So I guess Paper Mario and Quest 64 aren't turn based.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my favorite genre has to be turn-based RPG's and for the longest time that was a huge gripe with N64. I did play Quest 64 when it first came out, hoping that it would give me similar joy that Final Fantasy 7 gave me ( I didnt own a PS yet, but my friend at the time did and he had Final Fantasy 7, which is what turned me nuts for RPG's in the first place). However, Quest 64 was a colossal letdown and one of the most uninteresting, uninspired, RPG's I have ever played.

There was also another turn based RPG called "Ogre Battle" or something like that. It sucked too...

BUT Paper Mario was excellent. One of my favorite N64 titles.

Potts

Postby Potts » April 7th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Graphics- N64 has better 3D graphics overall, I think, but I really enjoyed the detail on some of the PS1 games that you do not see on N64.

Console design/durability- I think both consoles had a cool design, but N64 is a bit more durable

Controllers- Playstation wins this one, however the N64 controller "C" buttons made strafing in shooters much easier, but the joystick hurt my thumb over time.

Games- PS1 wins hands down. It's RPG library is unsurpassed and it's racing library has all my favs (Gran Turismo, Need for Speed 3, Ridge Racer).

N64 had RPG's like Quest 64, which sucks ass (if the Critic was to review it, I wouldnt be surprised at an F), and Ogre Battle, which I just didnt get. It had ONE great RPG "Paper Mario" (this is for turn based not action RPGs). I also hated most of the racers on N64, like San Francisco Rush and Cruisn USA. They just bored me to tears...

This is a tough call. I love both consoles, but the PS1 wins for its RPG's and its racing games.

a1

Postby a1 » April 8th, 2011, 1:18 am

[QUOTE=Potts]
I also hated most of the racers on N64, like San Francisco Rush and Cruisn USA. They just bored me to tears...

[/QUOTE]

I'm not big on those racers either. Cruisn World is a lot of fun; better than USA in every way. Beetle Adventure racing is a hidden gem in the 64 library. I'm also a big fan of Micro Machines, but that one's a bit silly, and might be on PSX, too. Ridge Racer 64 is also great.

I'm sure the PSX beats the 64 in standard racing, but if you like kart racers the 64 has tons: Mario Kart, Diddy Kong racing, Snowboard Kids 1 & 2 are all great. The PS1 has CTR, which is awesome, but all the other kart racers on PSX are licensed crap (looney tunes, woody woodpecker). Plus, as much as I like CTR, it's not often someone wants to play it with me, and I don't have a 4-player adapter for my PSX, so Mario Kart automatically wins for 4 players.

If you're a Gran Turismo guy though, then 64 racers are not for you.

fish

Postby fish » April 13th, 2011, 5:32 pm

I'll just chime in briefly, since most of what I said about the Saturn vs N64 applies here.

I prefer the PS1 over the N64.

Despite the N64 often produced a smoother framerate, I prefer the graphics of the PS1.  I prefer the pixellated and weirdness of the 3D rendering vs the blur and fog of the N64.  That's just a matter of taste.

But to dismiss the PS1 library is absurd.  It still has classic games which I continue to play regularly.  Devil Dice, Parappa, Crash Bandicoot, Crash Tag Team Racing (still better than Mario Kart, IMHO), Trap Gunner, Klonoa, MGS, Harmful Park, Poy Poy, Bomberman Party...  and I'm just getting warmed up.

I think I'm right about one thing.  Both systems catered to a different gaming mentality, on some level.  Both are fairly distinctive, and are predominately found on one system or the other.  Challenging gameplay, PSX; raw amusement, N64.  Why not enjoy both?

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » April 13th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Was that a glitch in the Matrix?

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » September 25th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Wow, it's nice to come back to this topic after more than two years. To this day, this is one of the best topics I've posted on this forum. It's about an era (and specifically a system) that I have intense nostalgia for, and not only that, it got a LOT of discussion. So, I want to revisit this post.

Alright, I still prefer the N64, no doubt about it. One thing that I didn't really go over when I first posted this is the multiplayer. I only briefly mentioned it, but I'm going to go more in depth today. Simply put, the N64 is a multiplayer beast, and to this day, it is THE essential party machine. Sure, systems since then, from the Gamecube, to the Wii, to the Xbox, to the 360 and PS3 have succeeded in recapturing SOME of that essence, whether it was through online gaming or fun party machines, but none of them will live up to the party animal that is the N64. Like Nintendo Power (I still miss ya!) said in their 15th Anniversary Retrospective, when you looked at the N64's 4 controller ports, you just knew that it was built with multiplayer in mind. While the PS1 certainly had it's fair share of multiplayer fun with games like Demolition Racer, the N64 blows it out of the water in that area. I mean, the N64 had games like Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 (believe it or not, the multiplayer in that game is actually pretty fun), the Mario Party series, a buttload of wrestling games (and while these games were also on the PS1, the N64 versions had 4 player), Turok 2, 3, and Rage Wars, Battletanx, and much much more. And that's not even including games like Goldeneye (which I haven't played) or Star Fox 64 (I only played single player), games which many people love for their multiplayer.

I know people like to throw around the fact that the PS1 is superior in regards to RPGs, Fighter's, and Shmups. While that is certainly true, the N64 trumps the PS1 in other genres.

Platformers- Games like Spyro and Crash were excellent, but the N64 had Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Yoshi's Story, Donkey Kong 64, etc. The PS1 can't compare.

Racing Games- Okay, perhaps the PS1 had better Racing Sims, but as someone who doesn't particularly care for realistic Racing Games, the N64 was far superior in that regard. Games like Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Micro Machines 64, and Cruis'n USA prove that the N64 did better with it's Kart Racers and Arcade Racers.

Action Adventure- Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask are two of the greatest Adventure Games of all time, and two of the greatest games period. Yeah, I know it may seem biased to compare just two games two the PS1 Action Adventure library, but those two together are enough to put the N64 ahead of the PS1 for that genre.

Sports Games- NFL Blitz (though I'm pretty sure it was on PS1 as well), Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, wrestling games, yep. N64 had better sports games.

Miscellaneous- This is the random category. From party games like Mario Party to arcade style games like Battletanx to oddities like Vigilante 8, the N64 had the Miscellaneous category down pat.

Don't get me wrong, the PS1 was amazing, but I still think the N64 is better.

rift1

Postby rift1 » September 26th, 2013, 11:45 am

Interesting thread to go back and read. A few months ago I picked up an N64 for my collection for the first time (I did not have one during its original release but most of my friends did, then in college people had them and we would play multiplayer games a lot). 

Honestly I am struggling to find decent single player games for it. I bought it for Castlevania (an obviously flawed game but one I've always been fascinated by) and can't find much else. I picked up Shadowman but it didn't really do anything for me. The Mario-type open world games aren't really my cup of tea. I need to pick up F Zero-X and Shadowgate 64, but other than that pickings seem slim.

Now the PS1 on the other hand, you can throw a dart at its game library and hit an interesting title. Heck, my top 30 PSX games are probably 95% stuff most people have never heard of or played. There is just too much good variety on that system.  

Return to “Classic Gaming”