Playstation Vs. Nintendo 64

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Logan Ruckman

Postby Logan Ruckman » March 23rd, 2011, 7:57 pm

Well, since there's a popular PS1 vs. Saturn thread, I thought I'd start PS1 vs. N64 thread. Now, I expect the overwhelming majority of you to say the PS1 was better, but hear me out as I explain to you why I like the 64 more:

1. Better Graphics- Now this is the least important category, but the N64 consistently had better looking games.

2. Less Cutscenes- This is going to be the most controversial category, but think about it: Developers wanted to showcase the power of the PS1, so many games had cutscenes, with some not being able to skip. The N64, on the other hand, dropped you right into the action in most games. This may be the only time a hardware limitation was good.

3. 4 Controller Ports- The N64 had more controller ports, meaning more people could play without buying a multitap. The fact that the PS2 also had only 2 controller ports was just sad.

4. Better Controller- I know some people hate the N64 controller, but in my opinion, the N64 controller is probably my favorite controller of all time.

5. Better Launch- Yes, the PS1 had more games at launch, but really, were any of them as great or had as big an impact as Super Mario 64?

6. Better Games- Again, the PS1 had a larger libraey, but overall, the N64 had a stronger library, including:
The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Yoshi's Story
Mario Kart 64
Banjo Kazooie
Super Smash Bros.
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
WWF Attitude
Much More

Now, looking at that, you might think I'm a Nintendo fanboy looking for an opportunity to trash Sony, but I'm not. In fact, the PS1 is one of my all time favorite systems, but I prefer the N64.

Jake

Postby Jake » March 23rd, 2011, 8:16 pm

N64 are you serious, you CANNOT be serious!?

scroll down plz....

Just kidding!

I played both I owned a PS1 for a week with 16 games or so,
didn't like it, got rid of it.

So, my vote hands down is NINTENDO 64! My bro had one, though I gravitated twards the sports games and racing, a great machine. 

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » March 23rd, 2011, 8:41 pm

I second that. The Ninendo 64 is an awesome console for pick up and play games and the graphics have a nice charm even to this day. It's my favorite console and I still play it to this day.

Logan Ruckman

Postby Logan Ruckman » March 23rd, 2011, 9:01 pm

You should really give the PS1 another chance, as it is an amazing system. However, I do prefer the 64 and believe it has better racers. Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing are two of the greatest games ever, and I don't like realistic racers like Gran Turismo and I've never playe Crash Team Racing. However, two racers I love on PS1 are Motocross Mania and Demolition Derby. Or is it Demolition Racer? Whatever, it's a damn awesome game either way.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » March 24th, 2011, 1:17 am

I really don't have to put much effort on this one,my name says it all

The system is home to the best Mario,best Banjo [sorry Nuts and Bolts],best controller for man hands,cosmetic awesomeness,best genre's except for RPG's and Fighters.

The PlayStation is useful for a handful of games usually only genres you can't find much of on the 64 such as Soul Blade [still better than Soul Calibur].The controller even with it's thumbtsicks is just evil.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » March 24th, 2011, 2:38 am

[QUOTE] 5. Better Launch- Yes, the PS1 had more games at launch, but really, were any of them as great or had as big an impact as Super Mario 64?[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree.Everyone I knew that had a PS1,had Ridge Racer. I think it was a HUGE launch hit. Also 
Raiden Project, Battle Arena Toshinden, and Rayman. These are all really good games, and and isn't the point of your launch titles to appeal to a wide audience,and not just the Mario platform fans.
     I own all of the nintendo systems,and N64 is my least favorite...well,maybe wii,so I am not biased either.On that note, I think your list of great games is almost  summed for the system.Maybe add Golden eye.PS1 had it all!Resident Evil and Silent Hill for the horror fans.Need for Speed and the Test Drive series for racing fans.Can't get much better than Tekken for a fighter. Tomb Raider was a little bit of a hit too. And do you notice how your list is mostly a rehash of popular titles from the previous systems. I always felt the  N64 lacked originality.
   And this is where we disagree the most. The PS1 controller is the most perfect controller ever designed,and I believe it says a lot that little has changed over 3 systems.I actually hate the N64 controller,and put it up there with the 360 controller for Saturn for bad design. But I will admit that I know a lot of people like you who loved it, but if Nintendo had ever gotten it right,why keep changing it?

Logan Ruckman

Postby Logan Ruckman » March 24th, 2011, 6:07 am

[QUOTE=Burk] But I will admit that I know a lot of people like you who loved it, but if Nintendo had ever gotten it right,why keep changing it?[/QUOTE]
Well, I still love the PS1, it's just that I love the N64 more. And I think Nintendo got it right for all their systems, at least for their time, but I think they took a step in the wrong direction when they made the Wii motion controls. I'm not saying the Wii is a bad system, because I like it and I think it's fun. It's just that I prefer traditional controls to motion controls.

steer

Postby steer » March 24th, 2011, 8:09 am

Nintendo systems 'age' better because Nintendo make classic games every gen, rather than jumping on the latest fad or shooting their port gun in the general direction of a given console.

I recently got my N64 back after loaning it out after 2 years and am enjoying Banjo Kazooie, one of the few RARE games that lives up to the hype. I guess I just appreciate how the N64 could do games like this justice, and the PS1 could not, but best to play them on an SDTV these days, heaven knows....

I am even getting used to the N64 analog again....Banjo is such a thoroughly cheerful game.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » March 24th, 2011, 8:45 am

Not much love for the 64 here. My least favorite Nintendo console by a long shot. The percentage of PS1 games that haven't aged well are probably greater on the PS1 vs the 64, but the PS1 still has better games. RPGs on the PS1 still make this system worth playing.

Question?

Both the N64 & PS1's graphics are ugly. Not gonna say which is worse. I still have yet to get that expansion pack which is supposed to make the 64 games graphics look better. Does the expansion pack really make much difference?

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » March 24th, 2011, 1:54 pm

I like Playstation so much better than N64. Super Mario 64 was a great game but to me, it is easily trumped by the Crash Bandicoot series. The N64 didn't have many fighting games. Flying Dragon is the only one that comes to mind. And from what I've heard, it's not very good. Playstation had Tekken 1-3, Battle Arena Toshinden 1-3, Darkstalkers, Marvel Super Heroes, Ergheiz, Dead or Alive, and Soul Blade, among others. N64 didn't have any RPG's either. Well it had two or three but it didn't have the only kind of RPG I care about, which is turn-based. Playstation had Final Fantasy VII-IX (and Tactics), Dragon Warrior VII, Breath of Fire III and IV, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, Wild Arms, and Wild Arms 2, among others. Playstation had a little bit of everything to please everyone. I don't even like racers that much but I love the Ridge Racer series. Playstation was just about the perfect system. 

Return to “Classic Gaming”