N64 graphics "too blurry"

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 14th, 2011, 11:36 pm

It never bothered me until fairly recently.

Playing classic N64 games on the Wii's Virtual Console with a clarity I never experienced on the original hardware has magnified the problem for me. It never bothered me back in the day until I realized just how nice these games could look.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » April 14th, 2011, 11:42 pm

All of you PS1 haters should check out a title called Omega Boost. I have yet to see an N64 title that displays 3D graphics this nicely.

David

Postby David » April 15th, 2011, 1:13 am

Jon - Here's a couple quotes from you literally two weeks ago in the Playstation vs N64 thread, posts 39 and 41 (http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5152921&highlight=aged&trail=45):

N64 crushes Playstation because when you compare the great games on each system the N64 comes out on top.

When you look back on it, you can get the 10-20 best games and stay away from the bad ones and they blow away the Playstation.

I have to admit that back in the mid 90s, when I had both a PS1 and N64 I was furious at Nintendo for having so few games, and I was a bigger fan of the PS1 back then. Now, though, the whole N64 library is available and it blows the PS1 away

Now it's a ruined system that's "not worth trying to play new games over"?  Also -

Throughout the whole 5th generation of consoles, I was a staunch defender of the N64 compared to PSX and Saturn

That contradicts the bolded section of what I quoted you on from a couple weeks ago.  I'm confused.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » April 15th, 2011, 9:50 am

David. I just changed allegiances from N64 to PS1 over the last week. I still can't stand the PS1 graphics, however I reassesed the situation and I'll make myself clear. The games for N64 are not the problem, its the graphics. If the graphics weren't blurry it'd be miles ahead of Playstation. A week ago I put in my N64 and played F-Zero X and almost threw up. Then I popped in International Superstar Soccer 98 and, well, go look that one up on youtube and see if you don't get dizzy. PS1 didn't earn the victory, N64 botched the snap. I've always disliked the blurriness but it reached a crescendo last week. A faulty chip or god knows what it is, I've had enough. It's ridiculous. When you think about how clear the Jag looks next to it, then it's an unforgivable disgrace.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » April 15th, 2011, 11:44 am

All the systems have excellent games

AND

All the systems have crappy games, whether based or graphics or gameplay.

Burk - Omega Boost definitely has great graphics. Right up there with Colony Wars. In fact, I remember reading that some of the developers from Psygonisis worked on that game at Polyphony Digital, who of course gave us Gran Turismo.

Psygnosis was definitely one of the best developers and publishers out there.

Luke

Postby Luke » April 15th, 2011, 1:42 pm

*Shrug* Goldeneye still looks great to me?

Lögan Ruckman™

Postby Lögan Ruckman™ » April 15th, 2011, 2:13 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I was always under the impression that the N64 fuzzy visuals were meant to be that way to "smooth out" the harsh angles and pixelation you'd see on the PS1 or Saturn.  However, after reading the N64 Wikipedia article I discovered that it was actually due to shortcomings in the hardware.  I have to admit that those fuzzy graphics are not appealing.
[/QUOTE]

You also have to understand that Wikipedia isn't always a reliable source.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 15th, 2011, 11:36 pm

To answer VGC,both are true part of it is hardware problems,part of it is to combat the angular look of PSX.

Whoever said PSX can do better than 64 becuase of Omega Boost,I see that and raise it Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Omega Boost was however sharp looking.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » April 16th, 2011, 12:14 am

Are you guys playing the N64 on an LCD TV?  If so, it probably makes the problem worse

Anyway, when I first started playing the N64 a few years ago it looked so blurry I thought something was wrong with the system.  I even ordered new cables.  Nothing was wrong with it though, just blurry.

Once I played through a couple of good games, I started to forgive the N64 and see it as a very fun game system.  The blurriness doesn't detour me.

Saturn, PS1, and N64 are ALL good systems!  Nobody should write off that generation until they've played all 3,000 games.  We need to have fewer flame wars and more appreciation for the video game craft itself.

atari-forever

Postby atari-forever » April 16th, 2011, 1:49 am

[QUOTE=Orion]
Saturn, PS1, and N64 are ALL good systems!  Nobody should write off that generation until they've played all 3,000 games.  We need to have fewer flame wars and more appreciation for the video game craft itself.
[/QUOTE]
Oh please, no. I would not survive without becoming addicted to Dramamine. I've owned all the 5th generation systems, but ironically the only one I still have is the Jaguar. I think it mostly stinks, but it does have a killer app (Tempest 2000 with rotary!) which makes it impossible for me to sell.

I'm not flaming the 5th generation. I'm just saying there are a number of reasons it's not my cup of tea. Anyone who disagrees should enjoy it to its fullest.

Return to “Classic Gaming”