N64 (gouraud shading)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Jon1

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby Jon1 » May 5th, 2011, 5:47 pm

When I first saw shots of Mario 64 in 95 I was captivated, and in total awe of what they pulled off (graphically). Then, obviously I realized that those awesome graphics were pulled off by extensive gouraud shading; without it every N64 game is a blurry mess. Banjo and MK 64 also used that to great effect....I just think they should've had a ton of games like that because Mario looked fantastic. And why wasn't there a sequel to Mario 64? I mean, why not, you know it's gonna sell millions. They should've had more cartoony looking platformers because at least they looked great.

Blueguy93

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby Blueguy93 » May 5th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Mario in Super Mario 64 was the only character to have gouraud shading (I think). Later games used a bunch of different textures to create 3D graphics for the system. 
I remember playing Super Mario 64 back in the day, and I loved the graphics just like you. I even had the strategy guide, which I used to collect all the stars and do all the fantastic cheats! So many memories!

I think that Nintendo realized that some of the games were blurry, why is probably why they released the Expansion Pak. It made the resolution better and offered more gameplay as a result. I think that greatly improved the N64 graphical capabilities.

Jon1

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby Jon1 » May 5th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Maybe I was wrong. But there has to be something they did to make those cartooney looking games (Mario,MK,Banjo,etc.) not blurry. It makes me think of that joke I bring up,that the Jaguar didn't have blurriness but Nintendo 64 did. Club Drive, crystal clear.

Orion1

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby Orion1 » May 5th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Maybe a sequel wasn't developed because Nintendo was moving its resources to the Gamecube, and Mario Sunshine.

N64Dude1

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby N64Dude1 » May 6th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Why are you comapring the polygon challenged Jaguar to 64 as if it's somehow graphically inferior to Saturn and PlayStation? You did this with that thread criticizing it's "blurriness" which by the way is far more tolerable than Saturn's "squarines" or the grainy PlayStation.

Is it becuase Jaguar claims to be 64-bit? That's a hoax

What's next comparing the Master System to Atari 2600 because the last NES games supposedly "looked better" than any Master System game.

Also the N64 had plenty of games that did not look "blurry" and in fact weren't gouard shaded. I get it you hate the 64,but let the rest of us enjoy the games there are instead of criticizing how they look.

And how can you accuse Resident Evil 2 of being blurry? It's anything but and looks milestones ahead of the PlayStation version.

Leo1

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby Leo1 » May 6th, 2011, 8:46 pm

The Jaguar has some 64 bit components (Can transfer data in 64 bits between it's various processing units and has a 64 bit RISC object processor and a 64 bit blitter). It all depends on how you want to classify it. And since there is no set upon standard and most people these days realize it's such an unimportant term, it's pretty much as much a 64 bit system as anything else. Heck, not everything in the N64 is "64 bit". The system bus for the CPU was 32 bits. Programmers generally relied on 32 bit data operation for their software with 64 bit instructions being rare, which has been a great benefit for emulation programmers over the years.

Why's it important anyways? I admit I didn't see his joke there, but who cares? And I see a bit of a blur with any N64 game, including something like Midway's Arcade Greatest Hits and Namco Museum. I would think if two classic compilations still showed that effect, any game would on actual hardware.

Jon1

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby Jon1 » May 7th, 2011, 11:52 am

I compare the Jaguar to the Nintendo 64 because they were the last 2 cartridge based systems. And, a 64 bit system released in 1996 should surpass a 32-64 bit system released in 1993 in every way. Crystal clear visuals were evident in one of those 2 systems, the Jaguar.

Blueguy93

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby Blueguy93 » May 7th, 2011, 8:36 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]

I compare the Jaguar to the Nintendo 64 because they were the last 2 cartridge based systems. And, a 64 bit system released in 1996 should surpass a 32-64 bit system released in 1993 in every way. Crystal clear visuals were evident in one of those 2 systems, the Jaguar.

[/QUOTE]

Technically, you could also include the Saturn, since it had both cartridges and CD's.

Leo1

N64 (gouraud shading)

Postby Leo1 » May 7th, 2011, 8:57 pm

He was talking about games residing on a cartridge rather than optical media. The Saturn didn't have game cartridges. The slot was used for such things as Action Replay devices, external saving devices, and the RAM expansions that some games used.

Return to “Classic Gaming”