5th Gen Love

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
nesfan1

5th Gen Love

Postby nesfan1 » May 13th, 2011, 5:39 pm

I love 5th gen. It's my second favorite right behind the 8-bit gen. The original 3 Crash Bandicoot games on Playstation were some of the best games of all time imo. I love all of the great RPGs of the time like Final Fantasy VII-IX, Breath of Fire III and IV, Chrono Cross, Paper Mario, and Legend of Dragoon. I agree with N64Dude about how great Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is. The new games in the series can't even come close to the original. That game was magical.

Jon1

5th Gen Love

Postby Jon1 » May 13th, 2011, 6:12 pm

About my so called "Nintendo 64" problem. I'll make myself clear I love the N64 and me criticizing it is like critizing your best friend, being like lose weight or something, or quit smoking. Goldeneye,Mario 64,MK64,Banjo, are incredible games and I couldn't live without them. Of course, being the first 3d systems they all had stinkers that you need to stay away from. But what made the 5th gen so great was variety. If you want to pinpoint it, I'd say 1995 was the best year for gaming, because you had new games being made for Neo,Snes,Genesis,Jag,3do,PS1, and N64 just on the horizon. That may be the most systems in existence at one time. Remember that even by 1995 you had great Snes games still coming out too.

atari-forever

5th Gen Love

Postby atari-forever » May 13th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Some of my favourite fifth-gen games are 2D: Oddworld and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, for example.
Not a fan of the 5th gen, but I agree with this. I bought and keep a PS1 just for Castlevania and the Oddworld games. The 5th gen consoles were definitely capable of producing great 2D games and I wish there were more of them. Unfortunately, despite a few exceptions, 2D was an afterthought once 3D took off.

JesusSaves

5th Gen Love

Postby JesusSaves » May 14th, 2011, 7:29 am

That said, unfortunately I have to agree with the haters.  5th gen was, by FAR, my least favorite generation of gaming.

So you are saying that you would take Pong and pong-clones (1st Gen) over the entire library of 5th gen games?

JWK1

5th Gen Love

Postby JWK1 » May 14th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by JesusSavesQuote:Originally Posted by JWKThat said, unfortunately I have to agree with the haters.  5th gen was, by FAR, my least favorite generation of gaming. So you are saying that you would take Pong and pong-clones (1st Gen) over the entire library of 5th gen games?

I meant in the generations that I have personally lived and gamed through.  That would be 3rd generation through 7th.  And yes, I would take 3, 4, 6, or 7 WAY before the 5th generation.  As I haven't invested the time to work through the catalogues of games from the first and second generation, I can't accurately answer your question.

Burk1

5th Gen Love

Postby Burk1 » May 16th, 2011, 10:14 pm

5th gen games are my favorite.There was this sudden new power at the programmers fingertips, and a lot of new and fun ideas resulted. There are plenty of turds out there,and some games that are almost unplayable due to poor graphics and loading times. But for the first time we could play these one on one ,free roaming ,versus games. Games like Twisted Metal could not have been done on earlier systems. Shooters became 3D,and free roaming platformers came to be. I LOVE 2D platform games, but there are some really great 3D games out there like Crash,and Spyro. Sure the realism of today's games could not be achieved, but the gameplay itself was the largest leap forward in video games over one generation,IMO.

Potts

5th Gen Love

Postby Potts » May 17th, 2011, 11:46 am

The 5th gen was my favorite gen too...all the systems I spent most of my childhood, mostly middle school years, playing. It's also the last gen I really liked (when I got my PS2, I mostly used it for PS1 games and DVD's, this was the last system I got new). But N64, PS1 and Saturn were all great consoles with their own strengths and weaknesses, there's alot of nostalgia for me when it comes to games released between 1995-1999.

I never played 3DO or Jaguar, but I plan on getting both eventually.

Samael

5th Gen Love

Postby Samael » May 17th, 2011, 7:04 pm

5th generation for me was the last generation when the possibilities of gaming seemed infinite. I could explore entire towns in Twisted Metal. Create my own characters in Warzone. Tekken's endings looked like silent art, meditations on abuse and faith. For the first time, we could play the villain.

Majora's Mask took me out of my hiding, and made me curious about the outside world. I'll never admit it anywhere else, but I can probably thank Nintendo for my many adventures with actual women.

In generation 6, we put an end to those low resolution graphics and dirty brick pixels. For the first time, we got a good look at what we were controlling...

They looked just like us, but their faces were dead. In most games, Generation 6 was a dive into the uncanny valley. But it wasn't just the zombie dolls that wrecked it for me. Wrestling games started limiting character design options, in order to avoid copyright violations. To make up for it, you could ruin your character's face in 10,000,000 new ways, trying to get the look you wanted. Tekken's silent movies discovered sound, and to show off the technology, facial expressions - I had no idea it had always been a bad comedy underneath it all.

And then there was Zelda.

It was beautiful, never more so. But the subtle metaphors were gone. The emotions were flat. In Link's Awakening, I was terrified of destroying what looks like a calculator display. In Twilight Princess, there was Midna, Link, and a series of NPCs who sent you on fetch quests/minigames. It was a completely artificial experience.

In Generation 6, for the first time, I was embarrassed to be a gamer.

Sure, there were exceptions to the rule. KoTOR made me fall in love with Star Wars. Shadow of the Colossus is the most fun you can have just riding a horse, in between all the other bits, which are even more fun.

Even the tragedy, was kind of fun. It's so rare to see tragedy done right, in any medium.

I don't care what anyone else says, the first use of 'Dancing with Doms' convinced me that Beyond Good and Evil was a great game, even if the title was a lie.

But...

Mostly...

Generation 6 was Generation 5 with better graphics, and more things you could do instead of actually having any fun.

Go off the beaten path in almost any sandbox game, and all you'll see are empty rooms that look almost all alike.

That's generation 6 to me...

It took all the possibilities promised in generation 5, and revealed them for empty promises...

Potts

5th Gen Love

Postby Potts » May 17th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Wow man, that was deep! I never thought of it that way. Games did get superficial in the 6th gen, I can agree with that. I remember playing Final Fantasy X on the PS2, and the opening was one of the worst in any RPG I've ever played. I came very close to turning it off, but persevered and saw that the remainder of the game was decent, but anyways...The conveyance of "realistic graphics" never impressed me. Leave me in the world of Playstation's texture distortions or N64's "gouraud shading" which comforts me into believing I'm still playing a "real video game"

Logan Ruckman

5th Gen Love

Postby Logan Ruckman » May 17th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Although the SNES is my favorite system again (from the time I first played video games till 1998, the SNES was my favorite from that time), from 1998-2003, the N64 was my favorite thing in the world, until I got a GCN. Even though I love the GameCube, I have to say the reason it was my favorite was because it was new to me and I was ten. The N64 now is my second favorite system. I remember opening it for Christmas. Super Mario 64 was absolutely amazing. I mean, you could actually move around, and jump, and do flips, and even breakdance! To a kid raised on 2D games where the only games you played where you could move around were Zelda, Mario RPG, and perhaps a few action-adventures, top down shooters, RPGs, or maybe a few other top down games for SNES, NES, and GB that I've since forgotten, that was freaking jaw dropping. So, even though it's my 2nd favorite system, the N64 holds a special place in my heart, and is a very special system indeed.

Okay, nostalgia over. NOT! Oh, and Samael, that story about Nintendo giving you the motivation to talk to girls is simultaneously hilarious and awesome.

Return to “Classic Gaming”