The Gamecube is the most underrated console ever!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » June 28th, 2013, 6:51 pm

I agree, the GameCube is severely underrated. I can't tell you how many so called "hardcore" gamers and Sony and Microsoft fanboys I've seen crap on this amazing system and laugh at it and call it "kiddy." Well, let me tell you, I'd take a "kiddy" GameCube any freaking day over an Xbox and PS2 combined, and this is coming from a fan of both of those consoles. While it may not have had the biggest library of its time, it certainly had the best. Like all of their systems, Nintendo truly supported the purple wonder, and it had more and better 1st party games than the competition. It also had some great 3rd party games. The GameCube had a LOT of exclusives. And when you add the GBA Player, that great library increased massively. Simply put, the GameCube is an awesome system that deserves more respect than it gets.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 29th, 2013, 10:48 am

No it was not.
I had one and it was great but not the most under rated.  That has to be something like the SNK console.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 29th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I agree completely. They fixed the blurry graphics that plagued the N64 and put out some great games like Mario Sunshine, which is a masterpiece. And besides sports games, they had a good variety. I've never liked survival horror games, yet I remember enjoying watching friends of mine play games like Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 29th, 2013, 4:14 pm

I guess the NGC was slightly underrated but I wouldn't say that I had more fun with it then the PS2. Perhaps the Xbox but definitely not the PS2. The PS2 has one of the most diverse library of games out there and it was a huge success, regardless of the generation.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » June 29th, 2013, 8:14 pm

I always thought that Gamecube was really underrated. It has better graphics than PS2 and all the wonderful Nintendo exclusives.  I really believe it lacked respect because its stupid looks. Its a cube with a handle and the games are small and kiddy looking as well. 

I don't really think its underrated today though.  If you look at games that are cross platform from that generation GC is almost always the most expensive of the 3 consoles of that generation. I believe in part this is because all the GC games are playable on the Wii while PS3 and Xbox 360 are not as backward compatible.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » June 29th, 2013, 10:17 pm

yeah NGC games tend to be more expensive then the other counterparts but that could be said for most Nintendo consoles. It seems like the popular Nintendo titles tend to hold their value quite well even if they are massed produced. I guess it is in part due to the recognizable characters that Nintendo brings to the table as well as the Nintendo stamp of quality (the Nintendo seal which might as well mean that).

Wait... You are talking about cross platform games... If those games are more expensive I have no idea why. The GC tended to have the most awkward controls for games that weren't specifically designed for the console. Usually the cross platform games don't hold their value regardless of which system they are in, but honestly I haven't looked at popular cross platform titles and see how they compared price-wise. If a game is on all three consoles, I would pick the PS2 or Xbox version no doubt and unless a gamer only owned a NGC or Wii then I can't see most people justifying the purchase over the other two consoles. I mean, 100's of millions of PS2's were sold, people have them up the wazoo I can't see that effecting the price too much. It could be the games are more rare simply because there were probably less copies made since the NGC sold far less. I dunno. It's an interesting point. 

a1

Postby a1 » June 29th, 2013, 11:16 pm

I have noticed multiplatform games tend to be more expensive on Gamecube. Take a look at Mega Man X collection for a good example.

Also, I don't know why you'd pick the PS2 version over the Gamecube version. The Gamecube would almost always have better graphics, much better load times and 4-player without an adapter. Same for Xbox. When I picked a game I would usually pick Xbox or Gamecube. The controller for Gamecube was really only worse for first person shooters anyway (due to the c-stick), and not that bad for those. I'd usually get the Xbox version for FPS, Gamecube for most others, and PS2 just in a few rare cases, such as if it's much cheaper (such as Mega Man X collection).

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » June 30th, 2013, 12:30 am

Underrated? Nah. Sony just had A LOT more goodwill with publishers and the public during this generation.

The GC had the worst standard controller of any Nintendo system. The controller layout was unwieldy, and the analog stick didn't feel as solid as the N64 analog stick. For multiplatform games, I rather get the PS2 version (due to the Dual Shock 2).  I still bought a GC for Nintendo first-party and the Game Boy Player.

Some people complain about the system's look. I liked the cube. It was compact and easy to take to a friend's house.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 30th, 2013, 9:21 am

Thinking back, it occurs to me how influential MS was over Sony and their console design, to the severe detriment of gaming.

PS2 was Sonys 'sweet spot' console, build off the success of PS1 from day one with a reasonably priced and designed console. It is one of the few consoles that had consistent support its entire life, as it was a no brainer for 3rd parties, they had stability. Ps2 was the last time the console industry had long term stability.  It was not over expensive or over powerful, and did not have all these 'trojan horse' features that added cost and deflected focus.

Then Sony, threatened by MS, gets all out of whack with PS3 and throws their dominance and stability away. And now the industry is SO AAAA heavy, and cinema heavy, that Sony has given up and adopted the MS model and is charging for online game play. And publishers, after the failure of DRM-ONE, are regrouping to pile on the fees again, since the systems will not...at least, not right away.

PS2 was Sonys last 'Nintendo Model' system, and now in its place, we have two redundant 'Hardcore Models'.

That's too bad. MS and Apple have been the two worst forces in gaming these last few years - MS is killing game variety and creativity and Apple is killing quality.... One high priced, the other low priced. Fascinating.

pixelated1

Postby pixelated1 » June 30th, 2013, 11:20 am

Hmph, I really like the GameCube controller.

Return to “Classic Gaming”