The Gamecube is the most underrated console ever!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: The Gamecube is the most underrated console ever!

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » May 27th, 2015, 1:15 am

It's like the first game, but...well, more gimmicky. The cinematography was handled by someone from inside the industry, who was a fan of Hideo Kojima's technique. Kojima, however, demanded something flashier...the end result, is incredibly silly. It feels like it belongs in an arcade.

It also suffers from not pushing the system, which is odd for the series. There's little ambition, and you lose the gritty feel. It was the first sign that Silicon Knights weren't nearly as good, on their own, as Miyamoto's guidance on Eternal Darkness had made them appear. There are good reasons why Nintendo trusts his judgement, even when he's doing weird things like taking their best writer off the Zelda series, throwing him on Mario, and telling him he can't tell any more stories.

With that said - it's still objectively better looking than the original, which was handicapped by hardware limitations. Unless you enjoy giant grey pixels and basic block furniture/people - go for it. You should at least experience it once, just to be able to talk about it, after.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 27th, 2015, 6:18 pm

I think Twin Snakes is an awesome game and in its own right, a great MGS game. I love the updated graphics (which still look great today) and the addition of MGS2 mechanics. I find the game actually harder than the original due to the AI being more intelligent. However, I think Twin Snakes is no MGS1. I think the original still has a charm that very few games can outdo even today. I like the voice acting a lot more and the poor graphics really don't bother me. The game play is what counts and I think MGS1 is slightly better than Twin Snakes in every way (in this category).

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » May 27th, 2015, 7:00 pm

Oh man, I love my Gamecube. I got mine for Christmas 2001 and now have over 70% of the North American titles. I don't care what anybody says, greatest sixth gen console, PERIOD.

And yes, Twin Snakes is an awesome game. Way better than MGS, imho.

Return to “Classic Gaming”