"Bad" games you love

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Jon1

"Bad" games you love

Postby Jon1 » June 24th, 2011, 2:50 pm

You know you love a system when you love games that get bad reviews and that people think suck. For me its Cyber Lip and Blue's Journey on Neo Geo. And on Jaguar I like Club Drive, yes believe it or not the San Francisco level is awesome and some of the other levels are good. I also really like I-War and Hover Strike. And I don't know if this qualifies, but I love F-Zero.

Oltobaz1

"Bad" games you love

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 24th, 2011, 3:13 pm

It's not the first time I do it here, but I like to praise Sword of Sodan (Mega Drive) every chance I get. I actually think Cyber Lip and Blue's Journey are alright! As for F Zero, it's overshadowed by the Super Mario Kart, but it's really
a good game, just not in a "so bad it's good" way.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

"Bad" games you love

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 24th, 2011, 4:47 pm

For me it's got to be Night Trap.  Yes it's very scripted and the acting is bad, but that's what makes it so good!  I think most of the critics who trashed this totally missed the point.

Greisha1

"Bad" games you love

Postby Greisha1 » June 24th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Friday the 13th for the NES. It's been pretty maligned in the Internet age, but I always thought it was an above-average licensed game, befitting the franchise. I always used to get lost in the caves, and the alarm would go off. *DURR DURR ... DURR DURR*

Well, except for the Zombies. And Jason swimming ... but oh weeellll.

The Third Gamer

"Bad" games you love

Postby The Third Gamer » June 24th, 2011, 5:43 pm

My bad game would have to be Cybermorph on the Atari Jaguar,  I was one of those people who brought a Jaguar on its launch and it came with Cybermorph I was not able to afford another game at the time,  I would have to wait for a month, until I got paid again.

During that month I played Cybermorph every day, in a vain attempt to prove to my friends that I made the right decision in trading in my Megadrive collection and Super Nintendo collection as well as my Amiga 500 collection

I never did win that argument but I did enjoy the game in the end I still play it every now and again

The following month I brought Tempest 2000, Doom and Raiden which really softened the blow and finally I was able to impress my friends.

nesfan1

"Bad" games you love

Postby nesfan1 » June 24th, 2011, 7:17 pm

[QUOTE=The Third Gamer]My bad game would have to be Cybermorph on the Atari Jaguar,  I was one of those people who brought a Jaguar on its launch and it came with Cybermorph I was not able to afford another game at the time,  I would have to wait for a month, until I got paid again.

During that month I played Cybermorph every day, in a vain attempt to prove to my friends that I made the right decision in trading in my Megadrive collection and Super Nintendo collection as well as my Amiga 500 collection

I never did win that argument but I did enjoy the game in the end I still play it every now and again

The following month I brought Tempest 2000, Doom and Raiden which really softened the blow and finally I was able to impress my friends.

[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna have to say Cybermorph as well. I don't know what it is about it but when I first played it I thought, "Wow. This game really is bad." But for whatever reason, I was hooked on it. And eventually I didn't think it was so bad anymore.

Viper821

"Bad" games you love

Postby Viper821 » June 24th, 2011, 9:20 pm

I love Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES) but you won't find too many people calling it a good game. That's why it's so good: a lighthearted, relaxing RPG designed to be easy to play.

Blueguy93

"Bad" games you love

Postby Blueguy93 » June 24th, 2011, 9:35 pm

For me, I love Sonic 3D Blast. Critics didn't really like this game, but I for one loved its 3D environments and more deliberate gameplay than previous Sonic games. Plus, the bosses were excellent.

JWK1

"Bad" games you love

Postby JWK1 » June 24th, 2011, 9:42 pm

TMNT on NES.  Everyone hates the game and I still, to this day, disagree with everyone.  I played Fester's Quest a lot as a kid, even though I knew it was terrible.  It has great atmosphere, like many Sunsoft games.  The best example is Simon's Quest.  Mind you, it's others who think the game is bad.  Not me.

PacFan

"Bad" games you love

Postby PacFan » June 24th, 2011, 10:47 pm

2600 Pac-Man and E.T.

Return to “Classic Gaming”