First Computer?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
PacMan000

First Computer?

Postby PacMan000 » February 3rd, 2012, 12:06 pm

This is a video game site, but computers can be used for gaming.  In fact, the first home computers were probably as important to video game history as any game system.  So what was your first computer?

The first computer we owned (that I remember) was an IBM PC-XT.  The phone company had a warehouse where they would sell old junk they no longer needed.  They had a room full of old computers.  We got that one, and a copy of Lotus 1-2-3.  Both were probably 10 years old by the time we got them.

I never really got to use that PC.  Eventually someone gave us another old computer, a PC clone with a generic name.  I got to use that computer.  It used DOS, but it had a menu (IBM Fixed Disk Organizer, if memory servers).  Eventually I messed up the menu, and had to learn my way around DOS.

Fingers dripping ink

First Computer?

Postby Fingers dripping ink » February 3rd, 2012, 4:34 pm

I know the processor on the first computer we had was an 8086. It ran dos and wordperfect. The first computer I had was a 486 dx4, man I was so proud. I made my own Wolfenstein 3d levels, played Spear of Destiny and Doom and got hooked on a rather obscure older title - Time Bandit.

ZetaX1

First Computer?

Postby ZetaX1 » February 3rd, 2012, 5:46 pm

First computer I got to mess with was a TRS-80 model III at school.  A year or so later, my dad bought a Timex/Sinclair 1000.  Tiny little thing, with a membrane keyboard, Z80 processor, black and white graphics, no sound, and 2K of memory.  I think it cost 100 bucks in 1982(?)  Good times.

- Mark

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

First Computer?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2012, 6:51 pm

Atari 1200XL!  Wish I still had that thing...

N64Dude1

First Computer?

Postby N64Dude1 » February 3rd, 2012, 8:12 pm

Actually I can't remember the model or anything,but it originally had Windows 95 and was upgraded to Windows 98. Used it until I was 12. Used to play Toy Story  on it all the time,though that game always kinds glitched up.

Calysma1

First Computer?

Postby Calysma1 » February 4th, 2012, 1:32 am

My first computer was an Apple IIc with a 9-inch greenscreen monochrome monitor. I had heaps of fun with it as a young kid, playing games like Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom, Skyfox, Stellar 7, Captain Goodnight, Karateka, Apple Bowl ten-pin bowling, Lemonade Stand, Moon Patrol, Olympic Decathlon, Summer Games, Winter Games, Chivalry, Carmen Sandiego, and probably a bunch of others I can't remember. 

BornToRun

First Computer?

Postby BornToRun » February 4th, 2012, 10:22 am

An Atari 1040 ST. I convinced by Dad to buy it because it was an Atari brand computer. He liked that it had Midi sound. I liked the bajillions of games, now in awesome 16-bit graphics and sound. BTW, I still have that Atari ST computer hooked up in my basement. It sat in a closet for years before I went on this retro kick and moved it to my current home several states away. It's still one of my favorite game consoles.

Marriott_Guy1

First Computer?

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » February 4th, 2012, 10:51 am

Texas Instruments TI-99/4 here.

TedE.Bear

First Computer?

Postby TedE.Bear » February 4th, 2012, 1:32 pm

A Commodore 64.....

Cough...cough.....hack...cough..snort..hint....cough......C-64 Critic.....

Hardcore_Sadism1

First Computer?

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » February 4th, 2012, 7:54 pm

Some generic, crappy and widely seen large-arse Compaq with a comically huge and Jellybean-Like monitor. 

Return to “Classic Gaming”