Nintendo Labo

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JWK

Re: Nintendo Labo

Postby JWK » January 22nd, 2018, 3:01 pm

For people defending Nintendo’s pricing on this thing and telling detractors to reserve judgement before calling it a half-baked $60-ish game and $10- 20 worth of cardboard, remember that this is Nintendo. I don’t think it’s unfair to look at Nintendo’s history; even their recent history. 1-2 Switch was called— even by ardent Nintendo supporters, mind you— a glorified tech demo. Most said it would have made sense as a pack in game, a la Wii Sports. It retailed for $50. Can you honestly play a modern AAA game, say, Uncharted 4 or even Nintendo’s own Zelda: Breath of the Wild and tell me there’s only be a $10 difference in R&D, production and quality?

I’m not going to pretend that every piece of software any video game company releases should have universal appeal. This... *thing* is not for me and that’s fine. But I wouldn’t be so quick to defend Nintendo’s pricing structure here. Sure, let’s wait until we know more about it. But if it’s a physical release of some mini games and a cardboard accessory for $70, would you be surprised? Nintendo has a history of dramatically overpricing software. If it didn’t require AAA development cost, why does it have above AAA MSRP? Release these smaller titles, sure, but price them accordingly. For reference, modern 1080p (& even 4K) remakes of Ratchet and Clank and 3 Crash Bandicoot Games we’re only $40 at release. Just saying.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 14th, 2018, 5:25 am

It seems like a really cool idea. But I just gotta wonder why they decided to build it with cardboard instead of something a little more durable. I just don't think that it'll hold up well after heavy use.

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » March 15th, 2018, 1:29 pm

lynchie137 wrote:It seems like a really cool idea. But I just gotta wonder why they decided to build it with cardboard instead of something a little more durable. I just don't think that it'll hold up well after heavy use.

There's a number of reasons I guess. I believe one is safety - if they did these things in plastic, with small parts etc, they couldn't be rated E for Everyone. Even Lego has to have different lines for different age groups, but I think with cardboard Nintendo got around it rather cleverly.
Second is of course, a financial reason. Cardboard has to be cheaper to produce, package, store and ship than plastic, which allows Nintendo to maximize their profit on a given price (and since Labo is sold as a videogame first and foremost, it is priced as a videogame). Even the music industry has almost entirely ditched plastic in favour of cardboard (if you notice, most of the CDs are released in cardboard/digipack cases nowadays). The advantage of cardboard though is that people will be able to come up with their own variations and constructions - you can't cut and paste plastic but you can deconstruct a sheet of cardboard.

I don't know how sturdy and durable this type of cardboard is. Some kind of cardboard absorbs the moisture from the hands like a sponge, turning it into a soggy ball of wet newspapers after a few weeks of use. Other types are water repellent and last a while. Not sure what Labo is made of and honestly I'm not too curious.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 20th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Return to “Modern Gaming”