Vita not doing well

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Vita not doing well

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 11th, 2013, 6:58 pm

From what I heard, the Vita is not doing well.  That does not surprise me.  When I got it last Christmas, there wasn't many games, but it was still early.  Well, now it's going on a year and the selection remains really sparse.  Did Sony expect the system to sell with no games?  

It's a shame because the system itself is really slick.  It's ideal in size, has a nice control layout (twin sticks) and is pretty powerful.

I really don't think Sony understands the handheld market.  Their flagship game is Uncharted (review coming this week), which is a sprawling adventure with long cut-scenes.  Who in their right mind would put this on a handheld?  

Segatarious1

Vita not doing well

Postby Segatarious1 » September 11th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Its too expensive and the propriety memory (also expensive) is a problem....

http://news.investors.com/technology-click/091013-670460-apple-beating-nintendo-in-portable-game-market.htm#ixzz2ecTHZzft

NPD's survey of more than 4,200 kids ages 2 to 17 found that

26% play games on iPhones, 
25% of kids surveyed play games on Nintendo's DS
21% of kids play games on Apple's iPad, 
19% play games on the iPod Touch, 
Some 23% play games on Android smartphones,

3DS, is being used by 9% of young people, 30 months after its release.

Sony is absent - the new price cut model of 3DS from Nintendo should help them transition considerably.

NewModelArmy1

Vita not doing well

Postby NewModelArmy1 » September 11th, 2013, 8:04 pm

If you are not into downloading games you will out on a lot that the Vita has to offer.

nesfan1

Vita not doing well

Postby nesfan1 » September 11th, 2013, 11:37 pm

There are a few Vita games that I want here and there but it's true that there really isn't a whole lot for the system. I do plan on picking one up eventually. I made that decision after I heard that the North American version of Danganronpa is going to be released on the Vita. That, and it's getting an Ys game sometime soon. I really hope Sony decides to focus on it more and it gets the support that it deserves.

JasonhasRSI1

Vita not doing well

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » September 12th, 2013, 12:07 am

The Vita is in the process of becoming the go-to console for indie games - the majority of which are well-suited to handheld play and are imaginative, gameplay-focused breaths of fresh air in a market saturated with AAA shooters and the like. Sony needs to do a better job of marketing this angle. I'm not saying that more awareness of this would cause a massive reversal in commercial fortunes for the console, but at least more gamers would then realize that the indie movement has been - far and away - the most positive thing that has emerged from the industry in the past three or four years.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the heck out of Machinarium, Hotline Miami, Sine Mora, Stealth Inc., Spelunky, and numerous other indie gems on the system. Outside of indie stuff, you'll find that great recent multiplatform 2D games (Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, Rayman Origins and Legends) play and look amazing on the system.

The games are there, you just have to dig a little bit.

Rev1

Vita not doing well

Postby Rev1 » September 12th, 2013, 2:25 am

I'm not surprised by this. I never see ANY games whatsoever (at most maybe 3-4) at most retailers for the PS Vita. That is sad... It's been out around 2 years and very little has happened with the console.

darkrage61

Vita not doing well

Postby darkrage61 » September 12th, 2013, 4:53 am

Gamestop is the only place I see with Vita games, the Uncharted game is the only one that sounds like it's any good so far.

Oltobaz1

Vita not doing well

Postby Oltobaz1 » September 12th, 2013, 6:41 am

The only one that sounds any good? I suppose we're not listening to the same radio stations then.

Irenicus1

Vita not doing well

Postby Irenicus1 » September 12th, 2013, 8:02 am

I think the Vita looks totally awesome. Unfortunately there aren't any games on it that justify the purchase for me.

The PSP had Tactics Ogre. That alone made it worth buying. On top of that it had Final Fantasy Tactics, two Capcom collections, SNK collection, Genesis collection, Taito collection, Killzone, two Hot Shots Golf games & movies. The only thing on Vita that interests me is Hot Shots Golf.

One thing cool about the PSP was the movies and TV shows. Overall the selction was weak and most moves were from the time frame of when the PSP was new. That kinda sucks, but there are a couple classics available. I still get a kick out of sitting in the bath tub watching Sanford & Son on the PSP.  

Return to “Modern Gaming”