Fatal Frame coming to the Wii U

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » September 30th, 2014, 5:06 pm

I just found this article that claims FFV has an English title now. Apparently, it's called Fatal Frame: Oracle of the Sodden Raven. It's also listed on Wikipedia under that title now. 

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3314768/fatal-frame-v-might-japan-exclusive/

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » September 30th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Supposedly, that's just the name of the movie.

So there's considerable skepticism out there over if that actually means anything. Particularly with the doubt cast since then from Tecmo's European office over Twitter, the region that actually received Fatal Frame 2 the last time out (And thought they were getting Fatal Frame 4 for a time, before Nintendo's European office changed their minds and cancelled a localization), things don't look too hopeful. 

If Europe isn't slated for it, that wouldn't appear to bode too well that NOA will take it on after passing over two fine Wii releases (One of which was fully localized). Hopefully they've had a change of heart, though.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » September 30th, 2014, 10:22 pm

It bothers me that Nintendo would actively pursue this franchise, only to kill it in almost every region of the world! It makes zero sense to me.

It's not like they have a massive abundance of games coming down the pipeline. Sure, some of their upcoming downloadable games look fun, ala 90's Arcade Racer, but at a time when developers are LEAVING them, you'd figure they'd step up to try to ensure more games make it to their console! Even their own games aren't selling like sure fire blockbusters, at least not on the Wii U. Have you looked at Mario 3D World's numbers?

Crap like this irritates me. Had the franchise stayed with Sony, we likely would have had Fatal Frame 4, the remake of 2, 5, etc. Nintendo seems like they've snagged this franchise up for NO reason!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 1st, 2015, 6:29 pm

I was hoping that they'd be desperate here with the loss of Zelda U this year, and sure enough, they must've been. Fatal Frame U has been confirmed for North America. [smile]

And no, it's not an April Fools joke. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 3rd, 2015, 6:30 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]I was hoping that they'd be desperate here with the loss of Zelda U this year, and sure enough, they must've been. Fatal Frame U has been confirmed for North America. [smile]

And no, it's not an April Fools joke. [/QUOTE]

That's awesome news. Finally, Nintendo did something right. It's a miracle.

Atariboy

Re: Fatal Frame coming to the Wii U

Postby Atariboy » June 18th, 2015, 2:04 am

Nintendo of America sure is putting their marketing muscle behind Fatal Frame 5. Not a mention in their E3 Direct, nor in this new Twitter post.

Anyways, here's their new YouTube trailer for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lDC5wC3OMw

Is there a way to make videos show up around here now? Seems like taking a step backwards just to have to use a link, but [VIDEO] tags aren't doing anything and there's not an insert video option.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 23rd, 2015, 10:23 pm

eShop exclusive? :roll:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1068851

While I'll begrudgingly support them if this happens (Although I'll seriously consider importing a Wii U from the UK if it gets a retail release over there), I'm going to do an awful lot of whining if paying $60 on the eShop is my only option. There are very few franchises where I'd ever even consider such a thing. Happily, at least I have the storage room for it since I bet I have at least 25 gigs free right now (This will be a ~16 GB download).

Nintendo E3 2015 Treehouse Gameplay Video: https://youtu.be/gXP0UCh2-NE

Sadly, their idiocy is likely just going to convince them that they were right all along to ignore this franchise.

First, they localize a stupid DS spin-off that stunk, for their first attempt at it instead of one of the Wii games that people actually wanted. And now they're not only going to make sure that both arms are tied behind its back with this release by all but ignoring it, but now they're going to lop them off by making it be an eShop exclusive.

Then, they're going to wonder why the fans that spoke out so much over the years ignored this one...

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 5th, 2015, 8:04 pm

Lucky Europeans...

http://nintendoeverything.com/fatal-fra ... mo-coming/

How much do you want to bet that NOA makes this a $60 digital exclusive, as anecdotal evidence and NOA's reputation suggests is likely.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 25th, 2015, 2:42 am

Digital exclusivity confirmed for North America.

"Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, co-developed by Koei Tecmo Games, launches exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U on Oct. 22 for $49.99, just in time for Halloween. Players can download this free-to-start game and play the prologue, chapter 1 and most of chapter 2 for free. The full version of the game can be purchased as DLC directly from the Nintendo eShop or via the in-game menu."

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/08/fatal-fram ... ign=buffer

:(

Rev

Postby Rev » August 25th, 2015, 3:11 am

I hate Nintendo... OMG...

Would it really have hurt to release this as a physical copy in the U.S.? I think the PS2 had more releases scheduled in a year, 5 years after the PS3 came out, than what the Wii U is getting this year. It is terrible.

Return to “Modern Gaming”