Generation is off to a lousy start!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » May 14th, 2014, 11:45 pm

The last generation got off to a slow start....give me a break critic, it's only been 6 months. Btw, the a Wii U is basically dead.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 15th, 2014, 5:17 am

[QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=Segatarious]People do what they are told by their media[/QUOTE]

If that were true Microsoft would have just sold 12 million always connected, DRM ridden, new game only, amazing kinect is looking at you canoodling, fully tv integrated, ad targeted, all purpose new age next gen Xbox Ones to the smiling masses all playing Titanfall.
[/QUOTE]

You see, this post is why this forum needs an "upvote" button. I have nothing to add to this point, as it is so well made, but I would certainly like to support it. Well said.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 15th, 2014, 6:13 am

[QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=Segatarious]People do what they are told by their media[/QUOTE] If that were true Microsoft would have just sold 12 million always connected, DRM ridden, new game only, amazing kinect is looking at you canoodling, fully tv integrated, ad targeted, all purpose new age next gen Xbox Ones to the smiling masses all playing Titanfall. [/QUOTE]

It is generally true.

Why did those self same people all line up to buy Kinect - even though they had been told how bad and casual Nintendo motion gaming was for a several years, through a bought and paid for media campaign to kill Wii momentum, and, by contrast,  what a great hardcore stalwart the MS video game company was? Should they not have rejected Kinect outright, out of the gate, as a bad product, and called MS out for hardcore hypocrisy? No - the narrative turned on a DIME, because of advertising and glowing editorial that spread effortlessly to forums. '4 legs good, 2 legs bad, - until 4 legs good, 2 legs better!' Let's face it 9 times of 10 or better, the gaming audience is extremely easy to predict, because they have been well trained.

Plus, Xbox One has sold pretty well, all disasters considered, but - through Twitter, Forums,  and other Social MEDIA, it became the cool thing to 'back' Sony because Sony used their media and advertising and propaganda to say 'we do not have DRM machine!' and blast MS, even though it is quite obvious that all or most of the 3rd party AAA software giants and probably Sony as well were initially  behind this DRM future. That is, until desperate Sony, who was supplanted by MS as the 'cool' machine that previous gen - decided to take a chance on harnessing that social media backlash that the gaming media generally ignored. Nintendo has a far more 'free' console than Sony - who gives them credit for it? Few - it is not a 'cool' brand.

I should ask then, if people are so independent minded and discerning - why is PS4 selling well at all? It has exactly zero killer apps, and is still expensive, for a console with no stand out games and tons of generic games available 4 or 5 other places.  The buyers feed off of the hype, they go with the crowd. They are coming back to a brand they know and that has been heavily marketed to them for several years now, despite the PS3 misstep, which was a time when it became cool to rag on Sony, and be a true western gamer on Xbox - pay any price, bear any burden for MS! -  who CARES about us REAL GAMERS!

Many people, most of the time, do what the media tells them, because they are weak, and look for safety in numbers, and like to conform to the crowd. Like I said, these are just videogame exps, look to the real world, or to history, and see ample and abundant evidence. Look at this forum, and the silly defenses and backlashes that offend people. You should read my PM box some days, lol. The mods do no want the discussion on the forums, so some 'discussion' trickles back to me, sometimes by people who make a brand new account, just to send me a desperate message, because their safe hive mind was tousled by a post of mine.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 15th, 2014, 11:02 am

Is there bleach in the water? You sent ME a message desperately wanting the Tomodachi thread closed.

On accident, how ripe. What is your medication anyways?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 15th, 2014, 12:20 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=Segatarious]People do what they are told by their media[/QUOTE] If that were true Microsoft would have just sold 12 million always connected, DRM ridden, new game only, amazing kinect is looking at you canoodling, fully tv integrated, ad targeted, all purpose new age next gen Xbox Ones to the smiling masses all playing Titanfall. [/QUOTE]

It is generally true.

Why did those self same people all line up to buy Kinect - even though they had been told how bad and casual Nintendo motion gaming was for a several years, through a bought and paid for media campaign to kill Wii momentum, and, by contrast,  what a great hardcore stalwart the MS video game company was? Should they not have rejected Kinect outright, out of the gate, as a bad product, and called MS out for hardcore hypocrisy? No - the narrative turned on a DIME, because of advertising and glowing editorial that spread effortlessly to forums. '4 legs good, 2 legs bad, - until 4 legs good, 2 legs better!' Let's face it 9 times of 10 or better, the gaming audience is extremely easy to predict, because they have been well trained.

Plus, Xbox One has sold pretty well, all disasters considered, but - through Twitter, Forums,  and other Social MEDIA, it became the cool thing to 'back' Sony because Sony used their media and advertising and propaganda to say 'we do not have DRM machine!' and blast MS, even though it is quite obvious that all or most of the 3rd party AAA software giants and probably Sony as well were initially  behind this DRM future. That is, until desperate Sony, who was supplanted by MS as the 'cool' machine that previous gen - decided to take a chance on harnessing that social media backlash that the gaming media generally ignored. Nintendo has a far more 'free' console than Sony - who gives them credit for it? Few - it is not a 'cool' brand.

I should ask then, if people are so independent minded and discerning - why is PS4 selling well at all? It has exactly zero killer apps, and is still expensive, for a console with no stand out games and tons of generic games available 4 or 5 other places.  The buyers feed off of the hype, they go with the crowd. [/QUOTE]

The point the quote ends is the point where I stopped reading because I couldn't take it anymore. 

Segatarious, I often agree with you.  When you PMed the thing about piracy to me, I did almost make a post about it for you, and will do so the next time piracy is brought up (it was a great, great point).  I saw your Titanfall post banned, and tried to get it restarted in the other Titanfall thread by saying that IGN themselves felt the same as you did.

I have noticed (and don't know if others did) that your posts are more content heavy and less negative attacks.  So the above post is absolutely shocking to me. 

That, my friend, is the rant of a madman.  The Xbox One is selling fairly poorly.  To claim that the successor to an incredibly popular system should sell ZERO or it is proof of people being essentially brainwashed, that people buying PS4 must be brainwashed (as though people won't buy a new system that looks good because it is new and the competition crapped the bed), and to claim that there is some universal, gaming-illuminati "hardcore gamer" attempt to hurt Nintendo is the heights of crazy hysteria.  Stop it man.  Get hold of yourself.  Stop looking for boggeymen.  

The Wii U has been marketed incredibly poorly, that is why people aren't buying it.  The Xbox One blew their entire launch window, that is why only CORE Xbox fans bought it.  Sony offered a new piece of shiny new hardware to core gamers, at a price better than MS, with marketing much better than either Nintendo or MS.  After a 7-8 year console cycle, it would be astounding if Sony didn't sell that many consoles.  There is no conspiracy.  After poor marketing and an incredible drought, it would be astounding if Nintendo DID sell more systems last year.  After the last year, but following the 360, it would be astounding if MS didn't at least SHIP (the number they are using) 5 million Xbox Ones, as SHIPPING is based on what retailers EXPECT to sell.  After waiting 7-8 years, it would be astounding if peoiple didn't buy the least bad system (marketing and price wise) in huge numbers.

Stop it.  The conspiracy is only in your head. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 15th, 2014, 12:48 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=Segatarious]People do what they are told by their media[/QUOTE] If that were true Microsoft would have just sold 12 million always connected, DRM ridden, new game only, amazing kinect is looking at you canoodling, fully tv integrated, ad targeted, all purpose new age next gen Xbox Ones to the smiling masses all playing Titanfall. [/QUOTE]

It is generally true.

I should ask then, if people are so independent minded and discerning - why is PS4 selling well at all? It has exactly zero killer apps, and is still expensive, for a console with no stand out games and tons of generic games available 4 or 5 other places.  The buyers feed off of the hype, they go with the crowd. They are coming back to a brand they know and that has been heavily marketed to them for several years now, despite the PS3 misstep, which was a time when it became cool to rag on Sony, and be a true western gamer on Xbox - pay any price, bear any burden for MS! -  who CARES about us REAL GAMERS!

Many people, most of the time, do what the media tells them, because they are weak, and look for safety in numbers, and like to conform to the crowd. Like I said, these are just videogame exps, look to the real world, or to history, and see ample and abundant evidence. Look at this forum, and the silly defenses and backlashes that offend people. You should read my PM box some days, lol. The mods do no want the discussion on the forums, so some 'discussion' trickles back to me, sometimes by people who make a brand new account, just to send me a desperate message, because their safe hive mind was tousled by a post of mine.[/QUOTE]

What was the media campaign against the Wii's motion controls? I must have missed that. I seem to have noticed Sony and MS both lining up to COPY the Wii's motion controls, not criticize them.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 15th, 2014, 1:24 pm

I'm going to agree. While systems are selling, I haven't heard much buzz after the console launches. Maybe it's because there are no noteworthy next generation only games.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 15th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Microsoft didn't copy the Wii's motion controls, Sony did that with PS Move.

Microsoft copied Sony's EyeToy Camera (from PS2) and expanded upon it. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 15th, 2014, 3:44 pm

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Microsoft didn't copy the Wii's motion controls, Sony did that with PS Move.

Microsoft copied Sony's EyeToy Camera (from PS2) and expanded upon it. 

[/QUOTE]

In any event, my point stands that there was no elaborate paid "media campaign" against the Wii and its controls.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 15th, 2014, 4:58 pm

4 million sales is hardly what i'd call "selling poorly".

Return to “Modern Gaming”