Generation is off to a lousy start!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 30th, 2014, 2:39 am

Don't really see what the "Snowden scare" has to do with Kinnect and don't really see how what they're doing is "dude-bro"(a really annoying nonsense term I hate BTW). 

There's no way in hell this generation will be the "swan song" for AAA games, especially not now that Watch Dogs is the single fastest selling game in Ubisoft's history.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » May 30th, 2014, 7:40 am

I do agree with Vexer, it's fashionable to kick against populist culture, Wii ?, Call of Duty ?
But the fact remains the AAA titles sell very well, and they mainly sell well on consoles.

It's just like the Hollywood blockbuster, people enjoy them, they create revenue, they aren't going to stop producing these.

To be honest I sometimes find this an elitest attitude, just because some of us have played games a long time doesn't make us the majority nor the target market otherwise Nintendo would be top dogs. Perhaps the noisy minority ?

Just because it's popular doesn't make it bad and to cry the end is nigh when AAA games are immensely profitable seems ill judged.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 30th, 2014, 8:09 am

[QUOTE=bronZfonZ] However, with MS soon releasing Kinect-less XBones, they are sacrificing innovation for clinging onto the "born from 1980-1995" dudebro generation the same way Sony is.

It quite concerning that probably 90% of current-gen AAA console games today are only coming from the first parties and then Activision, EA, Ubisoft, 2K, and Square-Enix.  It's also quite concerning that the gamer audience born after 1995 is mostly playing Clash of Clans, Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga, and the like on smartphones and tablets, which makes them less likely to ever get into AAA gaming.

Outside of the PC gaming market, this generation may very well be the swan song of AAA gaming as we know it.  Relish these next five years.[/QUOTE]

dudebro generation - I love it!

It will be interesting to see who cracks first between the console manufacturers. The irony is, the big publishers like EA, Capcom, etc, etc, cracked last gen - they quit on dedicated handhelds and cashed into mobile, undermining their console games by rereleasing them for cheap on mobile. 

At this point I am hoping the console markets crashes, it is such a mess, they need to start over. Game prices are ridiculous, the internet has dramatically altered the sales of music and newspapers, and have impacted books and now are starting to impact cable TV, so I see gaming being no different.

Nintendo did all the could to preserve their traditional game prices, but they have failed.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 30th, 2014, 9:27 am

So you want a market to crash and millions to lose their job?

Seems legit.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » May 30th, 2014, 4:00 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]At this point I am hoping the console markets crashes, it is such a mess, they need to start over. Game prices are ridiculous, the internet has dramatically altered the sales of music and newspapers, and have impacted books and now are starting to impact cable TV, so I see gaming being no different.

Nintendo did all the could to preserve their traditional game prices, but they have failed.[/QUOTE]
Because as we all know, a failed market, billions of dollars in lost sales and millions of jobs lost is totally worth it so you don't have to feel like gaming sucks now. Hell, I'm sure the gaming market collapsing would be detrimental to the already flimsy US economy.

But you don't care, right? Nah.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 30th, 2014, 5:23 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=bronZfonZ] However, with MS soon releasing Kinect-less XBones, they are sacrificing innovation for clinging onto the "born from 1980-1995" dudebro generation the same way Sony is.

It quite concerning that probably 90% of current-gen AAA console games today are only coming from the first parties and then Activision, EA, Ubisoft, 2K, and Square-Enix.  It's also quite concerning that the gamer audience born after 1995 is mostly playing Clash of Clans, Angry Birds, Candy Crush Saga, and the like on smartphones and tablets, which makes them less likely to ever get into AAA gaming.

Outside of the PC gaming market, this generation may very well be the swan song of AAA gaming as we know it.  Relish these next five years.[/QUOTE]

dudebro generation - I love it!

It will be interesting to see who cracks first between the console manufacturers. The irony is, the big publishers like EA, Capcom, etc, etc, cracked last gen - they quit on dedicated handhelds and cashed into mobile, undermining their console games by rereleasing them for cheap on mobile. 

At this point I am hoping the console markets crashes, it is such a mess, they need to start over. Game prices are ridiculous, the internet has dramatically altered the sales of music and newspapers, and have impacted books and now are starting to impact cable TV, so I see gaming being no different.

Nintendo did all the could to preserve their traditional game prices, but they have failed.[/QUOTE]

Game prices are cheaper by far than they've ever been. The very cheapest early Atari 2600 games were $30, which in today's currency amounts to $113.75. Many Super NES games, Secret of Mana for example, cost $80. In today's dollars, that's $127.08 just for a game! Not some kind of special or limited edition. Games are getting cheaper every year--it's truly a great time to get into the hobby.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » May 30th, 2014, 7:23 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]

Game prices are cheaper by far than they've ever been. The very cheapest early Atari 2600 games were $30, which in today's currency amounts to $113.75. Many Super NES games, Secret of Mana for example, cost $80. In today's dollars, that's $127.08 just for a game! Not some kind of special or limited edition. Games are getting cheaper every year--it's truly a great time to get into the hobby.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this point.  Taking inflation into consideration, games are considerably cheaper now than ever, even if we take out mobile games out of the equation.

One point you are forgetting, however, is that before the Playstation/Saturn/N64 generation, the manufacturing of cartridges dominated the production cost of games, not the labor.  This was why games that required more memory or extra chips (like SFII, StarFox, and all NeoGeo cartridges) cost more. 

Nowadays, the cost of labor to develop games dominate the price of production, and maintaining that $60 price point is becoming more difficult than ever, as DLC and season passes have pointed out.

(On a side note, Sony benefitted tremendously during the PlayStation days because of the dramatically cheaper cost of producing CDs combined with the still relatively low price of labor to produce the games themselves meant huge profits for everybody).

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 30th, 2014, 9:08 pm

It would really break my heart to see the end of big budget reskinned AAA games, or the loss of MS as a console manufacturer with all of their console taxes. when they finally throw in the towel and say 'we are getting little back for all our investment'. Their plan, upon failing the mass market, has been to milk you.

Millions of workers? Hardly.

Flimsy US economy? Whose fault is that? Which part of the economy is flimsy? Which part of the economy is too big to fail? Which part of the economy is controlled and doled out by the Govt? Who pays for that?

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 30th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Inflation is a bad argument.

How about health care, as in , what % of your total budget did health care occupy in 1984, as opposed to 2014?

You have to be nuts to think you are gaining ground. What % of the country was on food stamps in 1984, compared to now?

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 31st, 2014, 1:21 am

Steer-Wow, you sound like you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Return to “Modern Gaming”