Psyched for the fall?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
nesfan1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby nesfan1 » August 31st, 2014, 10:39 pm

Atarifever and Logan: You guys both mentioned Mario Maker but I can't recall Nintendo giving a release date for that one. Or even an ETA for that matter. Do you two know something I don't?

Segatarious1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby Segatarious1 » September 1st, 2014, 10:04 am

I am not terribly physched, many of the games I most want are 2015 releases.

I guess Cpt Toad will be my main purchase. Hyrule Warriors, maybe, but I want a good price on it. Smash Brother is not terribly exciting for me.

The Mario Kart expansion, I will get.  Some eshop games I will keep an eye on:

Affordable Space Adventures
'90s Arcade Racer
Pier Solar and the Great Architects
Gunman Clive 2

gleebergloben1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby gleebergloben1 » September 1st, 2014, 8:56 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]I am not terribly physched, many of the games I most want are 2015 releases.

[/QUOTE]

Steer buddy, you've piqued my curiosity. What games are you looking forward to in 2015?

Segatarious1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby Segatarious1 » September 1st, 2014, 9:48 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwdnYR-IMAAGFhv.jpg

Splatoon, Mario Maker, Zelda, Xenobalde (The last trailer was iffy though....)  Yoshi, Kirby, pretty much the whole list, to some degree.

Weekend_Warrior1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » September 2nd, 2014, 5:11 am

If 90's Arcade Racer only gets a release on the eShop, then that is just a HORRIBLE decision! They really need to put that on a retail disc so people can see it in stores and say "Whoa! What's this? This games looks really cool! And it's only on the Wii U??"

Seriously, this is a very good exclusive game for Nintendo. I think it's going to be a surprise hit. But they need to start pushing some of these third-party games a little bit. Otherwise, they are just going to lose all third-party support entirely

ptdebate1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby ptdebate1 » September 2nd, 2014, 11:18 am

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]If 90's Arcade Racer only gets a release on the eShop, then that is just a HORRIBLE decision! They really need to put that on a retail disc so people can see it in stores and say "Whoa! What's this? This games looks really cool! And it's only on the Wii U??"

Seriously, this is a very good exclusive game for Nintendo. I think it's going to be a surprise hit. But they need to start pushing some of these third-party games a little bit. Otherwise, they are just going to lose all third-party support entirely[/QUOTE]

Rarely (if ever) is an indie developer able to afford to release their game on disc. The costs are immensely higher than simply putting it up on the eShop.

nesfan1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby nesfan1 » September 2nd, 2014, 11:59 am

There's quite a few Eshop games I'm holding off on getting in hopes that they might get a physical release, perhaps bundled with some others. 90's Arcade Racer is one of them. My waiting game is starting to pay off. NES Remix Pack is coming out December 5th.

ptdebate1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby ptdebate1 » September 2nd, 2014, 4:21 pm

[QUOTE=nesfan]There's quite a few Eshop games I'm holding off on getting in hopes that they might get a physical release, perhaps bundled with some others. 90's Arcade Racer is one of them. My waiting game is starting to pay off. NES Remix Pack is coming out December 5th.[/QUOTE]

Regrettably, I don't anticipate this happening for indie games. The only precedents for this kind of thing are Minecraft, which is the third best-selling game of all time, and the PSN collection (which includes the Grammy-winning Journey, one of the most acclaimed indie titles ever, along with other high-selling games). 

These simply aren't the kinds of games that Wii U optical disks (which hold up to 50GB of data) were designed for, and the production pipeline of Nintendo's proprietary format, with its special encryption and fancy rounded edges, simply does not favor indie developers. 

Segatarious1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby Segatarious1 » September 2nd, 2014, 6:36 pm

Plus shelf space for every system is shrinking. Most games have no  chance at retail release.

You never know though. Ducktales did, Cave Story did, Bit Trip Series did,  etc, etc, but I would not wait too long on it. 1rst party Nintendo games have the best shot. But then again its not like Orbient or Cubello and all of those games on Wiiware ever got a compilation disc....

Leo1

Psyched for the fall?

Postby Leo1 » September 2nd, 2014, 8:00 pm

The best chance 90's Arcade Racer has is an XBLA style compilation disc if Nintendo wanted to promote their eShop by releasing a budget priced "best of" selection at retail to draw newcomers in that might hastily be dismissing it.

Or more likely, perhaps as a future companion disc for a Wii U bundle now that they're including two games with many of their systems or paired with an accessory like a new Wii U controller in a Wii Play style situation. The Wii U Pro Controller is widely disappearing at retail which suggests that Nintendo has a new model cooking and is clearing out inventory before introducing it. It's a long shot, but to encourage folks to double dip that already own an existing Pro Controller, pairing it with an interesting exclusive disc release might not be such a bad idea.  

Sadly, I agree with the consensus that these guys won't ever be able to get this onto a standalone disc. And what I'm talking about, I definitely wouldn't hold my breath for it although it has a slim chance. 

If this really took off though like it looks to deserve, maybe they'd port it to the 3DS? Stands a much better chance of a retail release there than on a console. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”