Xbox One Pairing controllers with profiles

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 5th, 2015, 11:22 pm

Profiles were are real pain with the Xbox 360 and they are even worse with the Xbox One.  I enjoy playing games like Call of Duty locally with friends, but getting all the profiles signed in is a time-consuming mess.

Part of the problem lies with the fact that the Xbox One inexplicably pairs your profile with a specific physical controller.  So when I resume a game with a different controller, it pops up all sorts of confusing messages telling me I need to log out or connect with the original controller.  Since all my controllers look alike, this is really irritating.  Also, since there's no controller indicator on the actual controller, it's hard to tell what controller is associated with what profile.

I really don't see a good reason for this, and it's not an issue with my PS4.  

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 7th, 2015, 1:29 pm

The other issue I have with the Xbox One controllers is that they have a small amount of flex to them.

To me that's horrible.  Now, I compare that to my PS4 controller, it's rock solid.  Maybe, the MS launch controllers were crap and the new controllers are fine, but I don't understand why MS had to fix what wasn't broken.  

The 360 controller by far is the best controller I've ever used.  The PS3 controller IMHO was terrible for FPSes.  The PS4 on the other hand seems to have improved on the PS3s layout by simply making the sticks further apart.  It definitely helps with the whole pat your head, rub your tummy feeling I always had using the PS3 for shooters.  

The Wii U controller for me initially had a rub on one of the sticks that eventually goes away.  Likewise, gaming time is pretty short and requires a near constant charge.  It's not a controller you want to leave on the coffee table after a single game session.

Sorry to derail things a bit; but, so far, out of the current gen, I'm liking the PS4 controller more.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » January 7th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Shape-wise the Xbox One controller sits between the OG Xbox and Xbox 360- but Rock Candy's vibrant third party controllers blow the stock hardware out of the water. The plastic doesn't creak either. It's too bad that the controllers are tied to accounts.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 7th, 2015, 5:57 pm

that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard... You shouldn't have to tie something as disposable as a controller to a game console. I really don't see the point...

on a side note, I've learned through some smash tournaments that the Wii U is a giant pain in the butt to resynch... If you don't have an HD tv you cannot input the code necessary to connect the controller with the console (but at least that makes sense, since you display the screen on your game pad).

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » January 12th, 2015, 9:59 am

Rev beat me to it.
Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard and
only makes me more glad i went with a ps4
rather than an xbox!

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » January 12th, 2015, 12:27 pm

You can sign in with the same profile even if you're using a different controller:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/assign-controller-profile

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 13th, 2015, 11:24 pm

That link is crap.  This paragraph makes no sense at all:

[QUOTE]Pair your profile to your Xbox One Wireless Controller so that your profile is in control of the action on your console. This is especially important if you have multiple users and controllers being used at the same time. By pairing your profile to the wireless controller, you ensure that everyone has the best experience, and of course, the best achievement./QUOTE]

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » January 14th, 2015, 11:22 am

Don't really see what how the link is "crap" or how the quote doesn't make sense.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » January 14th, 2015, 4:58 pm

That is a poorly worded paragraph.  Is the gist of it, you pair a controller to an account so that during multiplayer games each player/account can earn their own achievements?  I guess that's a nice idea (if you care about achievements), but how the hell can you tell if you picked up "your" controller?  Have to buy different colors?  Stick a name-tag on each?  Seems like a big-ole-pain...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 14th, 2015, 6:50 pm

And how does pairing a profile with a controller somehow provide the "best experience" or "best achievement"??  If anything, it's the opposite!

Return to “Modern Gaming”