New Nintendo 3DS XL

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Atarifever1 » March 27th, 2015, 8:51 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]It's not the minor changes that bother people, but the confusing names that make purchasing one more a hassle for the average person who hasn't kept track of all the different versions then it should be, hell there are people that still don't know that the Wii U is a new console and not just a Wii add-on or something like that, so you can imagine how confused some people are going to get with a title like "New" 3DS.[/QUOTE]

We agree 100% on this point.  100 percent.  I don't know what happened to every hardware maker except Sony, but Nintendo and Microsoft (and to be fair most of the plug and plays and streaming boxes) cannot name anything to save their lives.  And it isn't getting better.  Microsoft is skipping Windows 9 to go right to 10, and are naming all their mainline initiatives after core gaming Halo characters for no reason,  and called their third system "One" and their second one 360.  I can't wait for the next Windows: Windows 78: The Flood.  

Nintendo called one new 3DS model "2" and their third one "new," while calling the first one "3."   Of course, the previous one was just DS, except when it was DSi, which is a separate shop than the eShop, which has some DSi games. And the Wii U plays Wii games in Wii mode, including Wii download games, except when they are downloads of Wii games, which play in Wii U mode and support the gamepad, unless the Wii game didn't support the classic controller, in which case you need to use the Wiimote to play your Wii game in Wii U mode on Wii U.  

And don't get me started on stupid names like Shield and "ooya" which I assume were random words written on the notebooks of the 4th graders who were hired to market them.  

Tron1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Tron1 » March 28th, 2015, 1:33 am

Bummer man. Not much love for 3D. Don't care about that. Wish they'd make a Wii U adapter that played DS games. Heck I even signed an online potion for Nintendo to do one. Now I keep getting solicited to sign new random petitions every week. I wish I could tell them, "Hey man, I don't care about saving the world. All I want is a Wii U that plays my DS games". I suppose if the new 3DS XL had a bigger screen the my old 3DS XL then I'd get one.........eventually.

Gilly1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Gilly1 » March 28th, 2015, 1:19 pm

Sorry but I cannot get over it not including a charger.
Whether you're new to 3DS, or upgrading since a lot of people upgrading will trade in their old one. Don't you trade in the charger too? Or can you trade it in for less value without a charger? I'm not sure.

HardcoreSadism1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 29th, 2015, 3:50 pm

[QUOTE=Gilly]Sorry but I cannot get over it not including a charger.
Whether you're new to 3DS, or upgrading since a lot of people upgrading will trade in their old one. Don't you trade in the charger too? Or can you trade it in for less value without a charger? I'm not sure.[/QUOTE

I think it's just an excuse to take ten or twenty dollars off the initial price, it's idiotic, lazy and adds unnecessary clutter to your purchases such as a separately bought charger.

Oltobaz1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 29th, 2015, 4:42 pm

It's a common practice for Nintendo Japan. Their revision consoles do not always include chargers.

ActRaiser1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 29th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Dumb question, will the New 3DS work with any standard mini USB charger or is it a proprietary connector?  I've got tons of standard mini-usb chargers so that wouldn't be a big deal, but if it's a requirement to buy a charger as well then we're talking $220 for the portable (at least for me).

a1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby a1 » March 30th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Not a dumb question at all ActRaiser. Unfortunately the 3ds uses a proprietary charger (I think it is the same one the DSi used but I'm not positive) so you would have to go out and buy one. At least it uses micro SD cards instead of proprietary storage though.

HardcoreSadism1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 30th, 2015, 2:49 pm

I wish Nintendo would stop screwing around and put MicroUSB 2.0 in their future handhelds. It's 2015, the death knell for proprietary connector types.

ActRaiser1

New Nintendo 3DS XL

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 31st, 2015, 9:12 am

Thanks for answering!  Okay, well, I really don't need a 3DS at $220.  My Vita will do just fine for awhile longer.  [smile]

Return to “Modern Gaming”