Five-year-old cracks XBOX One security

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 6th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Honestly, that is a pretty serious security flaw, and I'm surprised no one discovered it sooner.

"A 5-year-old boy managed to circumvent the Xbox One's security and log in to his father's account without entering the correct password.

"Reported on the BBC, San Diego child Kristoffer Von Hassel has now been credited as a security researcher by Microsoft. In an alternate universe, the kid probably turned to the dark side, logged into your account, and pumped your life savings into FIFA Ultimate Team card packs.

"The exploit, which has already been fixed, was discovered by Kristoffer after entering the wrong password when trying to access his dad's Xbox Live account. By first attempting to log in with an incorrect password, users are taken to a second verification screen, where the child found out that by simply filling up the password field with spaces he would be able to access the account."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/5-year-old-cracks-xbox-one-security-by-discovering-simple-flaw/1100-6418774/

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » April 6th, 2014, 5:40 pm

I find it funny PSN required a group of experienced hackers to crack it. But with Microsoft, it took 5 year old. It doesn't matter what scale the exploit was on. Yes, the PSN hack was larger, but guess what? Doesn't stop the fact a damn 5 year old managed to outsmart Microsoft.

Microsoft deserves the "Online service failure of the year award".

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 6th, 2014, 6:29 pm

That is pretty dissapointing to here, but the PSN hack was a lot worse as in that case thousands of people had their personal information compromised as a result of the hack. In this case it was lucky for MS that it was just a kid that did this and not someone older and with more malicious intent, now hopefully they'll learn their lessons and not end up in the same boat as Sony was a few years ago.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 6th, 2014, 7:04 pm

I'd rather be on Sony's boat than Microsoft's right now. 

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 6th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Not me, i'd rather be in the boat of the company didn't cause thousands of people's personal information to be compromised.  Is it embarassing to get hacked by a 5-year old?  No doubt, but is it more dangerous then getting targeted by skilled hackers?  Definitely not, better this happened now with a kid then later with someone more skilled.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » April 6th, 2014, 8:14 pm

...I guess I'm the only one trying to be optimistic about the recent changes? I'm counting on Phil Spencer to turn things around.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 6th, 2014, 9:36 pm

I'm pretty optimistic as well. I think Spencer will help right the wrong decisions that MS made last year.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 7th, 2014, 3:04 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]I'd rather be on Sony's boat than Microsoft's right now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here.  Sure things could change, but where they stand now, Sony is in a better position.

I expected some immediate defensiveness from darkrage too, and I wasn't disappointed.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » April 7th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Darkrage always runs to MS's rescue. Saying "at least our accounts information wasn't leaked". Hogwash. Had this exploit gotten out, yours could have. It doesn't matter that it didn't, point is it could have. If someone really wanted to, Microsoft would go down just as easy.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 7th, 2014, 3:34 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart][QUOTE=Oltobaz]I'd rather be on Sony's boat than Microsoft's right now.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here.  Sure things could change, but where they stand now, Sony is in a better position.

I expected some immediate defensiveness from darkrage too, and I wasn't disappointed.[/QUOTE]

He never fails to impress...[wink]

Return to “Modern Gaming”