Looking back on the 7th Generation: PS3 vs. XBox 360 vs. Wii

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 28th, 2015, 5:27 pm

The 3DS version of DKC: Returns showed that the motion controls were completely unnecessary and in some cases made the game far more difficult then necessary(particularly the Rocket Barrel stages).

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 28th, 2015, 5:38 pm

The Wii sucks. It's not even close to those other systems.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 28th, 2015, 5:55 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]The Wii sucks. It's not even close to those other systems.[/QUOTE]
It really says something that this is your best post in this topic, and you have three.  Do go on Socrates.  

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 28th, 2015, 6:00 pm

It's for little children. The childish graphics. As a sports fan I wasn't crazy about Wii Sports. It's the same old crap they've been putting out for years.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » March 28th, 2015, 6:09 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]The 3DS version of DKC: Returns showed that the motion controls were completely unnecessary and in some cases made the game far more difficult then necessary(particularly the Rocket Barrel stages).[/QUOTE]

I don't recall motion controls even being used in the rocket barrel stages. The stick was used to move and a button propelled you forward, correct?

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 28th, 2015, 6:13 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]The childish graphics. [/QUOTE]
Well granted there's nothing as "mature" as a little spaceship fighting a space octopus, and we can't all be as gritty as Bubsy: In fractured Furry Tales, but I don't need every game to be dark like those gems.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 28th, 2015, 6:44 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]The Wii sucks. It's not even close to those other systems.[/QUOTE]

I'll repeat what I said in the last thread. You really need to figure out a way to interact with other people. Or expect to have people continue to not take you seriously.

I think the Wii is an okay system. I really enjoy the Mario Galaxy games, Metroid prime 3, punch-out, Xenoblade Chronicles and Super Paper Mario among others. But I disagree that the best 25 games can hang with the HD Twins'. So for me it came down to the 360 vs the PS3.

I did want to address the Critic's reviews of the systems. I think the PS3's library review is one of the Critic's biggest oversights. He fails to address how ubiquitous multiplats became for the 360 and PS3. He rated the 360's library an "A" based on multiplats and a few exclusives and the PS3's library a "C" based on its exclusives and dismissed the multiplats by saying "they're a subset of those available on the 360." That's the definition of a multiplat title! Yet he doesn't hold it against the 360. True multiplats fared better on the 360 for the first couple of years of the generation, but that ended around 2008 or so. Developers understood the PS3 architecture far better and multiplats became essentially the same, releasing the same game on the same day for both systems. He also took key PS3 titles and rated them lower than they should have been because he didn't download patches (Killzone 3), but downloaded the patches for the 360 titles. I just don't see how someone can make mistakes that big and objectively compare the 360 and PS3 libraries.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 28th, 2015, 7:08 pm

[QUOTE=JWK] hang with the HD Twins'.[/QUOTE]

They're not so much twins as you think.  For much of the generation, all Sony and Nintendo hardware had wifi (including PSP and DS), while Microsoft required an additional purchase for that.  For most/all of the generation Sony and Nintendo had free online multiplayer, while the 360 did not.  For much of the generation, the 360 and Wii could be purchased together for the price of the PS3 alone.  And only one of those systems ever shipped a model that REQUIRED purchase of a memory card (or HDD separately) and that was the Core Xbox 360.  If you had a core 360, you had less storage out of the box than either the PS3 or Wii.  Also, I believe both the PS3 and Wii use bluetooth for their controllers, while Microsoft uses some other standard.   Then compare the Kinect strategy to the Move and figure out which is closer to the Wii.  People often overlook just how many ways the PS3 was more like the Wii than it was like the 360, except price, where the Wii and 360 had much more in common.  

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » March 28th, 2015, 7:33 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy][QUOTE=Vexer]The 3DS version of DKC: Returns showed that the motion controls were completely unnecessary and in some cases made the game far more difficult then necessary(particularly the Rocket Barrel stages).[/QUOTE]

I don't recall motion controls even being used in the rocket barrel stages. The stick was used to move and a button propelled you forward, correct?
[/QUOTE]

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe that you are automatically propelled forward and you press a button to ascend and let go of the button to descend. Either way, I don't remember any motion controls being involved.

For me my favorite of the three was the Wii by far. In fact it was the most fun I had had with a video game console since probably the Sega Genesis. I never seemed to have a problem finding fun games to play like other people. I'm just an oddball I guess.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » March 29th, 2015, 4:18 am

I think the Wii suffers in reputation due to the amount of 'family friendly - me too' shovelware and a earlier demise than both the 360 and PS3. But the Wii does have some great titles, I think the Wii's mid tier games are worse than the PS3/360.

The reason I don't rate the Wii as highly as the other two is how motion controls shoe horned in games break the immersion or are just outright awful.

Looking back, much like the 4th generation I don't think there was a bad choice of console in the 7th generation they all have a great library of games.

Return to “Modern Gaming”