Underrated PS3 Games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven1

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 4th, 2014, 10:20 am

I'm always on the hunt for games that flew under the radar either critically or commercially.  Right now is a great time to go back and find many of the systems great games that went unnoticed.  With all the new systems out, it's easy to go and find some of these gems at decent prices.  So feel free to list games that you feel people should take the time to find.  Also they don't have to be PS3 exclusive either.

Here are a few off the top of my head.

3D Dot Game Heroes - I've championed about this game before and will continue to do so.  This game is made by the same team that is currently killing it with the Demons' Souls/Dark Souls games.  If you have any affinity towards 2D Legend of Zelda style games and $20, then this is a game to track down.  

Twisted Metal - I can't believe I'm including this in a hidden gems list, but it seems like NOBODY picked this one up.  It's the definitive version of Twisted Metal.  Given how lackluster it did, it will prob be the last game in the series for a long while.  You can pick this up new for less than $20 on Amazon.  Car combat fans shouldn't even think twice.  

Brutal Legend - This game was amazing in my opinion.  It harkens back to the mixture of action and strategy found on the PC with games like Sacrifice and Giants: Citizens Kabuto.  The soundtrack is awesome, the art design is well done and the gameplay is really fun.  Very unique experience...a treat for gamers tired of the same old designs that keep getting pumped out.  

Catherine - A weird (REALLY Weird) game about a guy's relationship with his girlfriend.  It's VERY Japanese, but actually a really solid game.  If you're looking for something kind of 'out there' than this is worth checking out.  Sort of puzzle-y and certainly heavy on anime style story...it's not for everyone.

Bulletstorm - I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick of ultra serious military FPS.  This game...heh...this game is the exact opposite of that.  Silly, over the top and crazy.  It's not the most polished game ever made, but it's visceral and focuses on fun.  It's got sophomoric, frat-boy humor that developers seem to keep putting into action games and it does detract from the overall package.  Still it's VERY cheap and worthwhile.  Easily one of the most underrated FPS the gen.

Vanquish - Another shooter that is for those of you who think the genre is boring and stale.  This game is action packed and features some truly outlandish shootouts.  A mixture of 80s action movie cheese, Japanese anime inspired battlesuits and gameplay that is pure bliss.  I highly recommend tracking this bad boy down.  I feel like the Critic would REALLY enjoy this particular game.

Folklore - You've never heard of this game you say?  Funny, because it's actually developed by Sony Japan Studio.  The game follows two different characters on a strange journey filled with magical creatures in a world that seems like something Tim Burton imagined.  One of the few early games that featured excellent motion control integration on the system.  This game isn't too cheap if you're looking for it new, but it's a cool action game with slight RPG elements.  Very unique game.  

I'm sure I could think of more...but I'm interested in what the rest of you have to say.

darkrage61

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby darkrage61 » April 4th, 2014, 1:49 pm

How about Time Crisis 4 and Haze?

JustLikeHeaven1

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 4th, 2014, 3:17 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]How about Time Crisis 4 and Haze?[/QUOTE]

Sure!  I've never played em, but by most accounts they would be underrated.  I've always wanted to try Haze as it sounded like it had some interesting ideas.  I sort of hit a FPS fatigue though and never got around to it.  Luckily you can get it for next to nothing these days!

Sut1

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby Sut1 » April 4th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Great thread ! This will help me pick up some gems. Wish I had something to add but all my PS3 games are fairly high profile, perhaps Sega Rally, which didn't get as much love as it deserved. A challenging arcade style racer in classic Sega style.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2014, 4:01 pm

I always thought Heavenly Sword was underrated.

Weekend_Warrior1

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » April 4th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Yeah, Haze is a bit buggy but it has impressive visuals and is actually quite fun to play. Certainly underrated in my book 

Vanquish is also fun to play. And I've heard that the PS3 version is the one to get (over the 360) because it uses locked v-sync, so the frame-rate and screen tearing are greatly improved... or something lol. My brain is foggy right now 

I'd also add a few PS Move games into the mix - Playstation Move Heroes, Medievel Moves: Deadmund's Quest and Sorcery.  

darkrage61

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby darkrage61 » April 4th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Interesting, I played Vanquish on the 360 and didn't notice any screen-tearing or frame-rate issues.

Leo1

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby Leo1 » April 5th, 2014, 11:56 am

House of the Dead 4 is definitely underrated and has hardly been noticed even in communities like this one. Main reason to own the Playstation Move, in my opinion.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2014, 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]House of the Dead 4 is definitely underrated and has hardly been noticed even in communities like this one. Main reason to own the Playstation Move, in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, Sony never released it on a disc.  Maybe if they would, people would have another reason to purchase Move.  Sony really hasn't done of a good job of marketing Move.

darkrage61

Underrated PS3 Games

Postby darkrage61 » April 5th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Yes, Move had virtually no TV commercials(except for that one for that Tennis game, and that was more of an advertisement for the game itself then the peripheral) and I barely saw any online ads for it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”