"Morning After" impressions of the Wii U

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » November 25th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Trine 2 is sort of an action, side-scroller with alot of built-in puzzles and mysteries, and it is really fun to play.  But really the most amazing part of it is the graphics and the backgrounds.  I seriously have to force myself to move from one section to the next because I want to give myself more time to study my surroundings and the INCREDIBLY detailed backgrounds.  It really feels like you are peering into another world.  The music is also excellent and perfectly matches the look of the game.  The whole thing is mesmerizing.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » November 25th, 2012, 1:54 pm

I'll be buying it and Batman ACAE next payday. Does anybody know if lego city is out yet? It looks pretty cool.....

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » November 26th, 2012, 9:16 pm

I'm going to add one minor issue to the "Complaints" category:  It's ridiculous to me that there is not an Ethernet connection on the back of the Wii U, and I am forced to use wireless.  I do not consider even a strong wireless connection to be nearly as trouble-free as a wired connection.  I had a TON of lag issues on Modern Warfare 2 before I finally ditched my strong signal wireless for a wired connection to my PS3.  I prefer not to wonder if I could have been better off with a wired connection on the Wii U.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 27th, 2012, 2:32 am

If you really want a wired internet connection, buy the USB adapter. The same thing made for the Wii is compatible with the Wii U.

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » November 27th, 2012, 7:02 pm

Before you guys buy Batman: Arkham City for the Wii U, you might want to check out this article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-arkham-city-wii-u-face-off

Bottom line is that performance on the game is not up to PS3/360 standards. It does include additional features and takes advantage of the Wii U controller, but the trade-off might not be worth it. Food for thought.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » November 27th, 2012, 8:31 pm

I read that article and it seems to be about what I would expect from one of the first releases on a new console.  As far as I am concerned, if we need screen stills and close-ups of far-away characters to show where the Wii U version is somewhat lacking, I'm fine with that.  As with any console, I expect the developers to get progressively better with the hardware as time goes on.  Personally, I did not buy the console just to get better graphics.  I have a PS3 for that.  And frankly, in my opinion, graphics are good enough at this point that they do not degrade the overall experience of the game in any way.  I'm not interested in the nitty gritty of graphical differences.  I wouldn't notice them in-game anyway.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 28th, 2012, 4:38 am

As expected, more technical info has been coming out about the Wii U and there are now many reliable sources claiming that the Wiii U has a much slower CPU than the PS3 & 360, and in games where there is a lot of action going on at one time, it causes some very significant drops in frame-rate. So apparently, game designers are now looking for ways around that issue. 

On the bright side,  I've heard that the Wii U has a much faster GPU than the other two systems with more RAM. So that's good

On the ugly side... almost every personal review I've read on the net has mentioning freezing issues with the system & controller. I've also heard that if you turn your Wii U off while it's updating it could brick the system *So pray the power doesn't suddenly go out*

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » November 28th, 2012, 1:56 pm

The freezing of the tablet only happened to me twice within the first day or two that I had the system, and has not happened since, so I am labeling it a non-issue at this point.  Either they fixed it or it fixed itself. 

Again, I am not going to pay much attention to all the gabbing out there about graphics and power and stuff.  The system looks great to me, and until designers have had some time to get their feet wet with the system, I am not taking anything too seriously.  Again, I don't think we are at a point where we should be deciding if we like our consoles based on which one is technically superior, when they all look good enough to make me completely forget about graphics in the middle of a game.

I personally get really tired of all the fanboy-ism out there, with everyone trying to point out the deficiencies in each others' consoles like we're comparing a 360 to a 2600.  Everybody should give it a rest and focus on the games and the gameplay.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 28th, 2012, 3:27 pm

I'm not a fanboy, I own all 6 systems from the last two gens (7 if you count the Dreamcast). 

Video game systems and video game banter has ALWAYS been focused around how powerful the system is and how the graphics compare to other systems. It's been that way ever since the Atari, Intellivion & Colecovision days 

And what do you mean "it's ONLY frozen a couple times?" If you just bought it, that shouldn't be happening at all! 

If you just bought an expensive brand new tv and the screen has already locked up and went totally black more than once in its first week wouldn't you be concerned? Especially if you found out more people were having the same problem... ? 

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » November 28th, 2012, 4:34 pm

I couldn't care less about fanboyism or starting system debates, but if I read an article saying a game might have problems then I'm certainly going to pass it on to potential buyers. That's just me trying to be helpful. Early adopters always seem touchy about their new toys, and I guess I would be too.

Speaking of lockups, my Xbox 360 slim locked up twice within the first couple of weeks of ownership. Having already had a 360 with the RROD, I thought, "Great, here we go again." That was over a year ago and I haven't had a problem since. These things happen sometimes.

Return to “Modern Gaming”