"Morning After" impressions of the Wii U

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » November 28th, 2012, 4:46 pm

Every game system i've owned has frozen at least a few times, wasn't it also a very common issue when the PS2 was released?

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » November 28th, 2012, 11:06 pm

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]

And what do you mean "it's ONLY frozen a couple times?" If you just bought it, that shouldn't be happening at all! 

[/QUOTE]

Just like I said.  It only froze a couple of times in the first day or two.  I wouldn't consider myself a person who is having "freezing issues" like you talked about.  And like Darkrage6 said, I've never owned a system that didn't freeze up or do something screwy at some point.  So I don't consider once or twice the first day it was fired up anything more than getting the bugs out.  If it keeps happening I'll write home about it.

And I KNOW that video game banter has ALWAYS been about how powerful the systems are.  I think we are at a point where the differences are so minor and inconsequential that I would rather focus on how much fun I am having with a system, which is all that matters these days.  Back when we had 16-bit consoles coming out with huge increases in graphic quality, there was more to talk about.  Now it's just nitpicking beyond belief.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 29th, 2012, 10:14 am

Ok. But I wouldn't call having hours worth of firmware updates (system/apps/online features) right out of the box... nitpicking.  

I also like my games to maintain a steady frame-rate when I play them. That's not nitpicking either because it directly affects gameplay.  

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Quick question guys: Does the Wii U have all the channel apps from the Wii?  I actually use even the lame "Check me out" and "Everybody votes" channels.  I am not a good predictor of popular opinion by the way.  I can't pick the same Miis as other people or the popular responses. 

If they improved the news and weather ones, I'd use those more too.  Right now almost all my news is "International" as it's from the AP, and that means tons of stories from the U.S., which would be liek most of you getting a ton of news from Canada: Not terribly interesting for the audience. 

The closest weather report comes from almost 2 hours away too.  To give an idea how important that is, we're supposed to get around 4CM of snow tonight, and the closest location the Wii lets me choose is expecting somewhere between 15-20CM.

Still, if they improved them for Wii U, I'd use them all the time.   

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » November 29th, 2012, 11:15 pm

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Ok. But I wouldn't call having hours worth of firmware updates (system/apps/online features) right out of the box... nitpicking.  
[/QUOTE]

I can see that you are trying as hard as you can to make the system look bad, so I will correct you that there was maybe a grand total of 15 minutes worth of system updates (at the very most), and I have used everything on the system, and each of the games I bought had a 10-15 minute update, BUT THE UPDATES DID NOT DELAY MY ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME like they do on a PS3, so it is literally a NON-ISSUE!  It most definitely IS nitpicking if you are multiplying the length of the updates several times over, and repeatedly mentioning the updates as if they were bad things when they hardly deserve any mention because, as I have said many times now, YOU CAN PLAY THE GAMES WHILE THE UPDATES ARE IN PROGRESS.  Is this getting through?  If they didn't notify you of the updates you wouldn't even know they existed... yet you keep bringing them up in an attempt to create a list of problems with the system.  Give it a rest.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 30th, 2012, 8:03 am

Wait, I'm confused.  I'll have to re-read all this, but Paul, are there updates?  On the Wii U?  I feel like I heard that somewhere, but don't remember where. Do you have to wait to play the games while the update happens?  Because that is really confusing me, as you haven't mentioned it here before at all.  Also, are there updates.  I feel like I heard that somewhere.  And do you have to wait to play the games while it installs?  You haven't made that clear enough for me.  Also: updates.  Are there any?  On the Wii U I mean.  Like updates for games and stuff that you have to wait through before you can play.  Oh, one more thing, are there updates on the Wii U? 

Also, how is the framerate?  Do the updates affect the framerate while you wait for them to install before you can play the game on the Wii U?  Also, do all the updates you have to wait to install before you can play Wii U games on the Wii U affect the freeze ups on the Wii U that is full of updates?  Because I heard there were updates, see.  Like, on the Wii U. 

Please make the update thing more clear to me. 

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » November 30th, 2012, 11:58 am

I think most people on here would know better than to power off or reset the system during a firmware update. However, after reading this article I'd be afraid to let children around the Wii U while it's updating. I could easily see an impatient kid flipping the power and bricking the system. I miss the simple days of consoles. Just this week I finally bought a PS3 and popped in Gran Turismo 5...only to be greeted by almost 2 hours of downloads and updates before I could play the game. That would really test the patience of an excited kid on Christmas morning.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-19-large-wii-u-firmware-update-reportedly-bricking-consoles

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 30th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Paul, the next time you try to challenge me in a video game debate, I'm going to ask that you do a little more research first ok? In this case, that means you should have put your Wii U online and tried using many of its online features, because many of them have their very own firmware update. In total, there's been reports of anywhere between 45 minutes to 4 hours worth of updates on day one (depending on internet speed). Those numbers are almost inexcusable. If Sony or Microsoft were to put out a brand new system that had this issue I'd probably never hear the end of it on this board because it's always been rampant of Nintendo fanboys! *Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself* 

When the president of Nintendo issues a public apology regarding the incredible amount of updates their system has upon taking it out of the box, I can assure that there has indeed been thousands of complaints and it is a very real issue.  

http://kotaku.com/5964138/nintendos-president-is-very-sorry-about-all-those-wii-u-updates

Also, don't try to disregard the issue by saing "well, it's ok because you can download some of the updates in the background." As a PS3 owner, I can understand the point you are trying to make - you're not forced to stare at a download screen. But it still does not excuse the issue that there are a ton of updates upon taking the Wii U out of the box, and there's also been a lot of freezing reports associated with them. 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 30th, 2012, 6:01 pm

I got my system yesterday, along with Mario, NintendoLand, and Zombi U. Work got in the way, and I haven't been able to play it as much as I'd like, though my upcoming 11 days of vacation should more than make up for that. A few thoughts:

- I think the game update thing is a non issue. As Paul pointed out, you'd never even know they're there. It certainly doesn't distract you from the game in any way. Why then would one even expect some sort of excuse from Nintendo? After all, updates are supposed to be a GOOD thing, as it fixes bugs, brings out new stuff etc. I know, we didn't have to deal with that in the 2600 to PS2 day, games shipped complete. Complete, yes, complete with bugs sometimes, bugs no one could fix, as it was basically too late for that. Still, as a PS3 owner myself, I'll acknowledge these updates have their cons, staring at download screens and all that, but again, non issue as far as the Wii U is concerned.

- The initial internet system update is pretty lengthy though. I guess we'll see how it goes in the future, it's really too early to tell. The Wii did get updates every so often, certainly not as much as the PS3, and they usually didn't take too long. As of right now, it's not as big an issue some are claiming it to be. Sure, this is also affected by internet speed, then again, there's no helping it, slow internet is... slow. Hardly Nintendo fault.

- This may be nitpicking, but... The HDMI cable is way too short. I guess I should be grateful the system even comes with one in the package, as I can't say the same about the PS3, the revolutionary HD console shipped with a crappy RCA cable. Back to the subject at hand, this small HDMI cable can be a small issue, but it's not a deal breaker.

- The transferring process is actually pretty funny, with Pikmin characters taking your saves and games out of the Wii to the Wii U, it's actually pretty clever.

- Accessing Wii U applications in general seems to take a little too long, read: loading times are a bit lengthy (though not aggravating to this gamer). Maybe an update will correct this

- I haven't had any freezing issues as of yet. Then again, this might happen eventually. I'm not sure I'd necessarily associate these with system updates. I'm tempted to say, who the heck knows at this point, then again, I don't have a degree in electronics...

- As for the games, Mario is just as fun as its Wii predecessor. It does look better, though nothing to write home about, I guess the first one already looked pretty good. Regular Wii stuff does look a little bit better. Will try Zombi U and NintendoLand tomorrow.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » November 30th, 2012, 9:28 pm

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Paul, the next time you try to challenge me in a video game debate, I'm going to ask that you do a little more research first ok? 
 [/QUOTE]

Why, exactly, does Paul have to do more research to debate his own impressions of the system?  I don't get it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”