"Morning After" impressions of the Wii U

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 30th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Because he's making arguments with me about the firmware updates and how long they can take, when he most likely hasn't done them all yet. 

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » December 1st, 2012, 2:45 am

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Because he's making arguments with me about the firmware updates and how long they can take, when he most likely hasn't done them all yet. [/QUOTE]

But I thought he said that he did install the updates.  Here is one of his quotes (I highlighted where I believe he addresses the updates you are referring to):

"I can see that you are trying as hard as you can to make the system look bad, so I will correct you that there was maybe a grand total of 15 minutes worth of system updates (at the very most), and I have used everything on the system, and each of the games I bought had a 10-15 minute update, BUT THE UPDATES DID NOT DELAY MY ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME like they do on a PS3, so it is literally a NON-ISSUE!"

Maybe you believe he didn't really install the updates or that he isn't telling the truth about the length, but I have no idea why he would lie about it.  Paul has been on these boards for a long time, and he has always come across as one of the more credible members here.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » December 1st, 2012, 6:42 am

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Because he's making arguments with me about the firmware updates and how long they can take, when he most likely hasn't done them all yet. [/QUOTE]
Wait, there are updates?  On the Wii U?  Are you 100% sure.  Because this is the first I am hearing of it. 

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » December 1st, 2012, 12:16 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior]Because he's making arguments with me about the firmware updates and how long they can take, when he most likely hasn't done them all yet. [/QUOTE]
Wait, there are updates?  On the Wii U?  Are you 100% sure.  Because this is the first I am hearing of it. [/QUOTE]

LOL.  I just read your previous comment, too.  Pretty funny.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » December 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm

So the whole basis of your argument is that I "most likely haven't done them all yet" (even though I clearly said that I did).  That makes sense.  I'll do my "research" as soon as you read my entire posts before ranting about them.

What do you want me to do research for?  I am telling you about my own personal experiences.  I am not arguing about the tenancies of the console or likelihood that something will happen, I am talking about what I have experienced.  Tell you what, I'll Google myself a few times and see if anything comes up.  Will that substantiate my claims for you?

As I said many times (as Atarifever pointed out )  I have done EVERYTHING on the WiiU, online and off, and those were the results I came up with.  And, yet again, WHO CARES ABOUT UPDATES IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEM?  Obviously there are isolated incidents of somebody losing power during an update or whatever, but I am not going to fault the Wii U for this because these things happen with all current systems. 

This really isn't that complicated...

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » December 2nd, 2012, 10:51 pm

How does Scribblenauts compare? I know this is one note,but at this point,it's the only game I can play since I didn't pack my SEGA with me and I'm not quite ready to get back into the other DS games.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » December 4th, 2012, 4:59 am

Paul, it matters because the Wii U was sent out without a fully-working OS right out of the box. Once again, if Sony or Microsoft would have done this then this board would most likely be filled with TONS of hate. But because Nintendo does it then it is alright!? It's a very legit complaint to have against ANY console manufacturer! I would feel the same no matter who did this. Of course, it's not the end of the world or anything. I'm still personally interested in the Wii U, and may pick one up if enough solid exclusives are released for it. But there is still no excuse in the world for any company to launch a new system and have it require possibly several hours worth of updates before it will work as intended. Maybe you got lucky and had a shorter download time than average, but what about all the other people who have experienced 4 to 5 hour long updates? Do I need to remind you that one cannot turn off their Wii U console while updating, because it could brick their system? So what if that person needs to leave the house before it finishes? What if a child or pet dissrupts it? What if there is a power outtage? Seriously, how about taking your rose-colored glasses off for a minute to at least acknowledge that there is a major concern with all of this instead of trying to discredit everything.    

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 4th, 2012, 6:03 am

Yes, one cannot turn off its Wii U during the update, as WARNED by Nintendo right before the update begins. I'm referring to the initial system update you have to go through when connecting your console to the internet. Switching off the system when advised not do so seems irrational, to say the least, and this is hardly a Wii U singularity, considering how you'll get the exact same sort of warnings from Sony when updating your PS3, for instance. Of course, if something happens during that process, like a power outage, it's an issue, an uncommon issue, though, hardly a major concern then, except of course if it actually happen to you, as unlikely as it seems, statistically.

And yes, I suppose the system should have been sent with a fully-working OS right out of the box, but this wouldn't have prevented Ninty to release system updates even later! Console updates are here to stay: all current systems have had that, ever since the PSP came out, with the exception of the Ds/Dsi. The issue isn't so much initial updates as updates in general I'd say, but they're not gonna go away. 

Besides, their length may vary depending on internet speed: my own Wii U initial update didn't exceed 12 to 15 minutes, and I think this is actually the average download time. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » December 4th, 2012, 6:11 am

[QUOTE=Weekend_Warrior] Do I need to remind you that one cannot turn off their Wii U console while updating, because it could brick their system? So what if that person needs to leave the house before it finishes?    [/QUOTE]
No, I think we can safely assume no one needs you to remind them of that at this point. 

I'm wondering though, what did you mean when you said this in a thread complaining about PS3 updates?

[QUOTE] If you don't want to update, then don't connect to the internet. [/QUOTE]

Here:
http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/Another-Rant-about-Todays-Games-6019002

That's all you had to say on the matter when it was the PS3.  Odd, considering how big an issue it is to you.  You know, I heard if the power goes during an update of the PS3, it might brick your system.  It takes a long time too.  AND you can't play games while the update happens.  Just so you know. 

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » December 4th, 2012, 1:31 pm

I'm getting a little tired of having Weekend Warrior reiterate the same arguments as if they are new and untouchable, and then changing the focus of his posts as he realizes his past ones were dispelled in previous posts that he neglected to read before he reacted, without pointing out that he was wrong or that he did not read a post.  No point in carrying it on any further.

Back to the Wii U:  A couple times now, it has come in very handy for me to be able to plug some headphones into the controller and play my game there while someone else watches the television.  The little screen's resolution is not the equivalent of a modern HDTV, but it is bright and clear and good enough that after a moment you won't notice the difference.  Unfortunately, this is REALLY making me wish the range of the tablet from the console was better, because right now it is outright BAD.  Nintendo needs to make some kind of extender or let the Wii U use some WiFi range extenders that are already on the market or something, because having more range on this thing would make all the difference in the world.

Return to “Modern Gaming”