Nintendo cut's to sales projection for 3DS and Wii U.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 22nd, 2014, 5:25 am

M0zart, I actually could not agree more. I have had that very argument with friends who don't see games as an art form. These people usually miss the fact that the act of playing a game changes how the story affects you. Just play Slender sometime and see how quickly that scary little world produces an emotional reaction.

I was just taking issue with the idea that the story in some games was better than most books. Darkrage has now clarified his opinion there.

Extracreditz did a great episode on missile command as an example of a game that tells a story with just it's mechanics and virtually nothing else. I suggest googling it.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 23rd, 2014, 12:59 pm

The one thing that I see that could provide some hope for Nintendo is that casual gamers haven't decided on which system they will support this generation.  Yes, early sales of the PS4 and Xbox One have been strong, but for the most part these are the hardcore Sony and MS fans who have waited 7 or 8 years for a new console.

I do wonder if all the bad publicity that the Wii U has received is too much to overcome though.  Just 3 or 4 months after the system was released, we started to hear about how the Wii U was a failure (which is pretty ridiculous when you think about it), and now we've heard it so much, I think it may become sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy - lots of people staying away from the system because they believe failure is imminent and nothing can be done about it.

Recently, I've witnessed two pieces of evidence that may suggest that this is true:  First, I was showing my brother my Wii U, and his reaction was something like, "Yeah, I heard that the Wii U wasn't selling that well."  Now, this was pretty surprising to me since my brother is the prototypical casual gamer who has probably never spent a single minute of his life on a gaming website.  And secondly, a few days later I saw a story on a local news telecast about poor Wii sales, which seems to suggest that "Wii U is a failure" mentality is now completely mainstream.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 23rd, 2014, 1:30 pm

That's not too different from PS3 which let's face it,was pretty much a laughing stock for the first two years.

It was mainstream that Sony slipped.

And had 2009 not gone the way it did,it would've met an early demise .

It's not out there to hope for some kind of Deus Ex Machina to bail out the Wii U

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 23rd, 2014, 1:47 pm

weallmissedme- What on earth are you talking about?

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » January 23rd, 2014, 10:14 pm

Just an observation that goes with snakeboys comments. At my local Gamestop, the window was adorned with two nearly identical posters. One advertising PS4 and games, the other for the XboxOne. So identical it seemed to be a Gamestop creation. Notably absent was anything for the WiiU. From the window, the 3DS display was prominent, but not the WiiU. There is a WiiU on display inside, and games, but given the low rent real estate.

Its reasonable to push what sells, so nothing nefarious there, but it might reinforce the casual perception that the WiiU is not doing well. Its something you think Nintendo would want to address.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 24th, 2014, 12:31 am

Apparently the nosedive that Nintendo's stock took in the wake of the cut in sales projection was short-lived.  It rallied back up apparently due to a perception that Nintendo is softening its stance against mobile gaming.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/business/international/nintendo-shares.html?_r=0

I have to say, I hope Nintendo doesn't make that stance too soft.  I think that company is at its best when it's swimming in its own element.  At the very least, that's when it suits me the best.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 24th, 2014, 12:42 am

Interesting, I wonder what types of mobile games they would produce? 

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 24th, 2014, 7:39 am

I've probably said this before or in another thread. I am someone who enjoys mobile gaming but apart from Zelda, I wouldn't want to play any other Nintendo franchise with a touchscreen.

Touchscreens work great with RPG, Adventure point 'n click and FMV games but they would be horrid for the likes of Mario and Metroid.

Mario Party Mobile could be very cool though.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » January 24th, 2014, 4:20 pm

If Nintendo ever decides to make mobile apps, I think they should make something like a new line of Game & Watch apps.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » February 22nd, 2014, 3:21 pm

Just popped in this thread to say:

The idea that the "steambox" is going to overtake a major console manufacturer's position anytime soon, considering the weaknesses of that format (expense, the fact that you can do this already with a cheap gaming pc, et al etc.) is sillytown: population anyone that thinks this :-)

Return to “Modern Gaming”