Staying offline in the seventh generation

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 3rd, 2013, 8:23 am

There have been a number of posts on the board about keeping your console offline. This idea confuses me--I've never had my 7th-generation consoles offline to know the difference firsthand, but I am certain that my experience would be drastically different considering how much I make use of my Xbox 360's online features (to me, the console wouldn't have been worth the money without these features!). So I was wondering: what are your arguments for keeping consoles offline? Is it about identity security? The first console I had online was the Nintendo GameCube with Phantasy Star Online. Since then, online multiplayer has been a cornerstone of my gaming experience. Nowadays, with many interesting games only being available via digital download, how is it possible to have a complete gaming experience without connecting to the Internet at least once in a while? Wouldn't it be best to just stick with 6th generation and prior if staying offline is such a priority? The 8th generation is just around the corner. And 400 and 500 dollars will be a lot to pay for a box that is disabled from accessing most of its key features.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 3rd, 2013, 9:32 am

It's almost always been about the single player experience for me (mostly) and if it is not I enjoy having friends over to play. I am sure I would enjoy online play but I really never get around to it. When I play it is mostly by myself and it is single player games. I occasionally go online but I have more fun just playing single player.

chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » July 3rd, 2013, 11:43 am

If I were to make my own console, I would restrict certain features of being online, or I would just use controller ports for multiplayer.  BTW, how do I use my message like everyone else does?  For example,

The Phoenix Lights are PLANES!! Seriously, they are a group of planes in formation.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » July 3rd, 2013, 11:47 am

I played my 360 offline until this year when I finally got a live subscription.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » July 3rd, 2013, 12:57 pm

Is the issue having your console online or playing multiplayer? To me, there is a big difference. I love having my console online for a variety of reasons but rarely play multiplayer (I also prefer single player campaigns - although co-op campaigns are appealing also)

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 3rd, 2013, 3:04 pm

[QUOTE=Steve]Is the issue having your console online or playing multiplayer? To me, there is a big difference. I love having my console online for a variety of reasons but rarely play multiplayer (I also prefer single player campaigns - although co-op campaigns are appealing also)[/QUOTE] It's about all of the online features of the console--online multiplayer/co-op, twitch TV, DLC/Xbox Live Arcade downloads, Netflix...everything.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » July 3rd, 2013, 3:20 pm

My major beef with online gaming is the time, I played World of Warcraft for a couple of months, you needed to make friends to run the dungeons, which then became can you be online Sunday at 7 as we are running this dungeon. Likewise Modern Warfare, I would be playing Sega Rally and would get messages asking me to go play Modern Warfare. I just found the whole thing time sapping.
Especially as my game time is premium between 1-2 hours a day I began to resent the online aspect.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 6th, 2013, 10:19 pm

That actually makes a lot of sense, Sut. Online gaming often creates commitments not just to gaming itself, but to the online communities that frequent the servers. Ultimately, I guess it comes down to how you would like to spend most of your gaming time--actually gaming in the traditional sense of completing a set of challenges and possibly following a story from start to finish (which is more offline in focus), socializing with friends, or engaging in "hardcore" competition with strangers (which are both more online in focus). 

Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » July 9th, 2013, 3:07 am

I don't want another bill. I've never been a fan of paying for "services". Xbox Live & PSN are services that I don't want to pay for. I'm not interested in multiplayer. I like to own physical copies of games & I only want DLC if its on a Game of the Year Edition's disk.  

I also don't want additional loading times or mandatory updates. I just want to put the game in & start playing it.  

I suspect a lot of ads come with online gaming. If not now then probably in the future. I don't like ads. Even when I'm using a free service like youtube; if it starts with an ad I'll usually click something else.

Return to “Modern Gaming”