Dragon Age: Inquisition

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 16th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Mods, please delete the duplicate thread. I accidentally hit "post" too early.

All indications point to Dragon Age Inquisition being a must-have title for the fall. If, like me, you've been missing a solid role-playing experience on your PS4 or Xbox one, reviews have been coming in overwhelmingly positive for Bioware's latest, so it just might be the answer to your prayers. Their gameplay systems don't always please everyone, but it's hard to deny Bioware's storytelling and worldbuilding prowess. It seems like the former issue has been thoroughly addressed as well in this title, which promises to be the most welcoming to new players out of their entire fantasy ouvre. Unlike Ubisoft's questionably late review embargo for AC: Unity, reviews for Inquisition have been trickling in for over a week, indicating confidence on the part of the developers. I'd be sorely disappointed if DA:I doesn't teach other major developers a lesson on how a major console release ought be handled.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » November 18th, 2014, 4:02 pm

I just picked this up today for my ps4, and cant wait to crack into it and will prob do so later this evening!
I got this and the new escape from dead island for ps3 as well, so should have some fun gaming ahead of
me!!

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 18th, 2014, 6:00 pm

Ozzy, I've been playing Dragon Age for about 4 hours, and I think you're going to really love it.

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » November 19th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Started on the game last night!
So far its definetly great and was worth the wait!

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » November 22nd, 2014, 3:51 pm

Is it important to have played the previous Dragon Age games to fully enjoy Inquisition?
I just got my XBone this month and have yet to build up a library besides my free Assassin Creed games and Halo MCC plus COD Ghosts, which I only got because it was under $20 on Amazon and I figured the price would go back up if I chose to sell it after playing the campaign.
Inquisition has gotten my interests but how much will I miss if I never played the series?

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 22nd, 2014, 6:11 pm

[QUOTE=Gilly]Is it important to have played the previous Dragon Age games to fully enjoy Inquisition?
I just got my XBone this month and have yet to build up a library besides my free Assassin Creed games and Halo MCC plus COD Ghosts, which I only got because it was under $20 on Amazon and I figured the price would go back up if I chose to sell it after playing the campaign.
Inquisition has gotten my interests but how much will I miss if I never played the series?[/QUOTE]

You should be fine. I have only played DA: Origins minimally

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 22nd, 2014, 6:49 pm

I pressed reply accidentally--

Anyway, Gilly, Inquisition is very much an independent story that simply uses the lore of Dragon Age 1 and 2 as a foundation, most of which it recaps throughout the game. It helps to know a little about those games beforehand (you can go to the site Dragon Age Keep to do this in less than 30 minutes), but it is by no means required.

Inquisition is one of the best action RPGs I've ever played (and I've played quite a lot--just search my threads on this site! [tongue]). By no means let your unfamiliarity with the first two games deter you! DA: I is one you don't want to miss.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » November 22nd, 2014, 11:54 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]I pressed reply accidentally-- Anyway, Gilly, Inquisition is very much an independent story that simply uses the lore of Dragon Age 1 and 2 as a foundation, most of which it recaps throughout the game. It helps to know a little about those games beforehand (you can go to the site Dragon Age Keep to do this in less than 30 minutes), but it is by no means required. Inquisition is one of the best action RPGs I've ever played (and I've played quite a lot--just search my threads on this site! [tongue]). By no means let your unfamiliarity with the first two games deter you! DA: I is one you don't want to miss.[/QUOTE]

This was very helpful. Thank you!

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » November 29th, 2014, 8:16 pm

I just picked this up today for my Xbox uno. I loved Diablo and Skyrim for the 360, so I can't wait to sink my teeth into this.

bronZfonZ1

Postby bronZfonZ1 » December 1st, 2014, 5:15 pm

To me Inquisition is a mix of all of BioWare's games of the last 10 years with also the open world feeling similar to the Elderscrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc.).  The war room and Haven is similar to the Normandy in Mass Effect.  The optional pausable overhead combat tactics comes from Dragon Age Origins, Knights of the Old Republic, and Neverwinter Nights.  The real time combat system feels very similar to Jade Empire's.  Finally, the dialog and choices-with-world-consequences systems are classic BioWare.  The game doesn't have a day/night cycle, but I didn't notice it right away, so it's not at all a deal-breaker for me.  However, it's awesome that load screens only show up when traveling to different locations; going indoors and outdoors is seamless.   Sure, it's probably not going to move the needle for old-school RPG fans of Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and Vampire: The Masquerade, but IMO Inquisition is shaping up to be a modern, mainstream Western RPG classic.

Return to “Modern Gaming”