Realizing my love for adventure games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 9th, 2015, 11:02 am

I recently bought the Telltale collection on Xbox One for the stellar price of only $55. This includes every season of every game by them since the original The Walking Dead (The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, and Tales from the Borderlands). These games are really good! They're reminding me of all the good times I had playing PC adventure games like Monkey Island and The Longest Journey, just without any of the tricky puzzles (which I actually don't miss).

I like adventure games because you can sit back, relax, and not worry too much about failure. 
I'm looking forward to playing Life is Strange and Dreamfall Chapters next.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 9th, 2015, 3:12 pm

I kinda like them on occasion myself, one adventure game I would definitely recommend you pick up is "Murdered: Soul Suspect", the Broken Sword series is also really good if you haven't played any of those yet.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 9th, 2015, 4:04 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]I kinda like them on occasion myself, one adventure game I would definitely recommend you pick up is "Murdered: Soul Suspect", the Broken Sword series is also really good if you haven't played any of those yet.[/QUOTE]

Funny coincidence! I was actually about to buy that one this afternoon. I've heard great things about Broken Sword as well--I think there's an iOS version that came out not long ago. 

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 9th, 2015, 6:20 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Vexer]I kinda like them on occasion myself, one adventure game I would definitely recommend you pick up is "Murdered: Soul Suspect", the Broken Sword series is also really good if you haven't played any of those yet.[/QUOTE]

Funny coincidence! I was actually about to buy that one this afternoon. I've heard great things about Broken Sword as well--I think there's an iOS version that came out not long ago. [/QUOTE]

Just played Broken Sword 1 and 2 on iOS.  There are some 'now playing' threads. 

And since you enjoy achievements, you will be happy to know they have been grafted on.  Personally, I found them useless, as of course you gain the achievement for doing whatever had to be done to move the story forward.  It was just an exercise for some developer puns.  I did not find a way to disable them in iOS. 

By all means play Broken Sword.  Just watch out for those Parisian cafes...some of them are so messy its like a bomb went off or something.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure achievements really serve a purpose in narrative games lol

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » March 9th, 2015, 6:55 pm

Enjoy, friend-0.  If you haven't played the first season of The Walking Dead yet, prepare yourself for one of the greatest video game stories ever.  

I was tempted by the TellTale sale on PSN (I believe it was the same price-- $55), but wanted physical discs.  I've never watched Game of Thrones and only played little bits of the first two Borderlands games, so I'm not totally sold on those games yet.  But I plan on getting the discs for TWD Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us on PS4 soon.  

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 9th, 2015, 7:30 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]Enjoy, friend-0.  If you haven't played the first season of The Walking Dead yet, prepare yourself for one of the greatest video game stories ever.  

I was tempted by the TellTale sale on PSN (I believe it was the same price-- $55), but wanted physical discs.  I've never watched Game of Thrones and only played little bits of the first two Borderlands games, so I'm not totally sold on those games yet.  But I plan on getting the discs for TWD Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us on PS4 soon.  [/QUOTE]

I have. I'm not gonna lie--tears were shed when...things happened. Season 2 is fantastic as well, but doesn't hit as hard emotionally. Tales from the Borderlands is quite entertaining but of course less serious than TWD. Game of Thrones is only recommended if you're a big fan of the show (as I am).

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 9th, 2015, 10:40 pm

Soul Suspect was actually the very first 360 game I was able to get all the achievements in, so that felt pretty good.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 15th, 2015, 12:09 pm

The first 360 game I got all the achievements in was Fallout 3.  I just loved that game.

Walking dead one and 2 are good but once you have beaten them you might not go back to them. I thought that the first game had a better story but the game play mechanic is better in the second game.  I have the wolf amongst us.  I played a bit and it was quite good.  6
I have not played Game of thrones but I liked the TV series.  I have a game of thrones game but it is the disc game that came out on the 3 sixty.  So it is not that great. 
Borderlands, well i refuse to give them any money money after they destroyed Aliens colonial marines.
Murdered soul suspect was really good.  I have it on the one. 
All I can say is enjoy!

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 16th, 2015, 7:17 pm

I think it's silly to refuse to give a company money just cause they made a game you didn't like(I personally liked Colonial Marines myself, and there's some debate on who is ultimately responsible for the game turned out, Timegate was said to have worked on it just as much as Gearbox did, so who knows? maybe it's their fault the game turned out the way it did), hell Ubisoft develops the AC series which I despise, but they also make plenty of other great games, so i'm not going to swear off ever buying their games again just cause of stuff like the Unity debacle.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » March 19th, 2015, 2:56 am

I love point-and-click adventure games.  I still have great memories of the first two Broken Sword games, and Beneath a Steal Sky.  I also liked those horror point-and-click adventures, the original Clock Tower for the Super Famicom, and its sequel(s) for Playstation, especially the first sequel.

[QUOTE=scotland17]Just played Broken Sword 1 and 2 on iOS.  There are some 'now playing' threads.[/QUOTE]

The Director's Cut versions of the games for iOS and other mobile platforms are definitely good games.  I especially like the additional part of the quest added at the beginning of the first game for Nico's character, which wasn't in the original.

But I still prefer the original games.  Despite being called Director's Cut games, a few of the saucier lines of dialog from the original game were cut in these later versions.  They were some really funny lines, and it took away from the overall experience for me.  I also didn't really care for the new box icons with character's faces appearing in the screen corners during dialog, which were also added in these releases.  They are of a different style than the original art, and I just didn't think they really fit.

Still, they are good games and I would recommend them to those who have not yet played the games.

P.S.  Looks like I accidentally deleted your post that I was replying to, scotland17.  I'm putting a quote of it here so it doesn't get lost.  I apologize for that: too little sleep lately, apparently, to avoid dumb mistakes like this one.

[QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Vexer]I kinda like them on occasion myself, one adventure game I would definitely recommend you pick up is "Murdered: Soul Suspect", the Broken Sword series is also really good if you haven't played any of those yet.[/QUOTE]

Funny coincidence! I was actually about to buy that one this afternoon. I've heard great things about Broken Sword as well--I think there's an iOS version that came out not long ago. [/QUOTE]

Just played Broken Sword 1 and 2 on iOS.  There are some 'now playing' threads.  

And since you enjoy achievements, you will be happy to know they have been grafted on.  Personally, I found them useless, as of course you gain the achievement for doing whatever had to be done to move the story forward.  It was just an exercise for some developer puns.  I did not find a way to disable them in iOS.  

By all means play Broken Sword.  Just watch out for those Parisian cafes...some of them are so messy its like a bomb went off or something. 

[/QUOTE]

Return to “Modern Gaming”