Has the 3DS novelty worn off?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Dynamo1

Postby Dynamo1 » June 19th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Well, I've never tried a 3DS but I never felt that 3D was the way of the future in gaming.

Bluenote1

Postby Bluenote1 » June 19th, 2012, 4:08 pm

I love the 3d effect, but I find it's too difficult to keep it in the sweet spot.  One slight move of your hand, and it's blurry.  As a result, I usually keep the 3d off.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » June 19th, 2012, 5:18 pm

I think you guys know that I have a biased love for the 3DS (no steer), but hear me out.

The 3DS novelty certainly has not worn off. (Granted, like you said, Stephen, the wow factor isn't the same as the first day I got it, but that's pretty much what happens for every new system I get.) The 3D helps create a sense of depth and helps make the set pieces feel huger and the games more expansive. 

As Super Mario 3D Land has shown, there's a number of creative ways to use the 3D. The games look better than they would in 2D, and the pop-up is amazing.

Finally, contrary to popular belief, the 3D effect will not blind you if you stare at it too long (the sweet spot). This only applies to kids under the age of 7, who should not really use the 3D effect. Take a break after a while as you should with any video game, but you don't really have to go between 30 minutes. That's just absurd.

Forgive me if I sound biased guys, but that's just my opinion. 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2012, 6:28 pm

I agree that the wow factor has worn off for the 3DS, but I think we're still just scratching the surface of this technology.  If they could do effective 3D on the big screen with no glasses (without the narrow view), I think it could be pretty exciting.  It's still a ways off, but they will be able to do it someday.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 19th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Just like taking advantage of Blu-Ray for outstanding video clarity, the 3DS mainline feature will have its turn. Handhelds are past the tipping point for how close handhelds and consoles currently are. Eventually we'll see full blown sandbox games close to San Andreas quality with a complete emphasis on 3D.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » June 19th, 2012, 11:47 pm

The 3D feature was always just a gimmick. In some games it looks good and adds to the immersion a bit, in other games it just gets in the way and screws with your vision (I remember 3D Classic Xevious being hailed as a game where the 3D adds a lot, but in that game the effect just disorients me and makes me unfocused. I always play with it off), but it's always largely a gimmick, and never feels necessary. In more relaxing games where you can take it easy and enjoy the sights, they sure look pretty, though.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » June 20th, 2012, 10:43 am

It's neat to use for a little while, but in games like RE:Revelations, you're better playing with it off, as having it on only makes the game more difficult.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » June 20th, 2012, 11:21 am

I can't play RE Revelation with the feature off after playing with it on, so at least for me it's not just a gimmick. I also like that RE Revelation has options to magnify the effect. At the highest setting, it adds a startling amount of depth, more so than any other game I've played so far.

I don't think it makes it harder to play the game at all. Quite the contrary.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » June 20th, 2012, 3:12 pm

played it before I bought it... the effect gave me a headache... as such I did not buy it...
also how many more times are nintendo going to release Mario, mario cart, mario tennis, mario golf... etc...
I loved Mario on the SNES but Mario makes Call of duty seem like an original series...
bought the DS first week it was out... turned into a kiddy games machine...
I think I am done with handhelds...

Return to “Modern Gaming”