3DS eShop/DSiware recommendation time!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » July 20th, 2013, 4:59 am

So, I downloaded my first 3DS eShop and DSiware games: HarmoKnight (an colorful okay rhythm game for 3DS) and WarioWare Snapped (some nice concepts, but way too little micro-games for the price). I still have some points left, so do you have any recommendations? (note: I like to play new, original games, not NES or Game Boy re-releases).

chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » July 20th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Although I never played it before, you should get Mario 
and Donkey Kong:Minis on the Move.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 20th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Gunman Clive is a no brainer buy.

Swords and Soldiers is AWESOME on Wii, but not as good on 3DS due to some weird touch screen controls....I would buy on Wii if that is an option.

Ivy the Kiwi is very good on eshop, better on Wii. Can't go wrong either way.

Glory Days is fun, but gets repetitive. Not bad for the money though. Great time waster game.

4 Swords is ok, not near as good as the GC game, but fun. I got it free so that helps....

Mighty Switch Force is over rated, will never touch series again...

Sakura Samurai is ok, not great but solid.

I want to try the Armadillo games, and I hear Pushmo is very good, but have not played either - if you do let us know!

Calysma1

Postby Calysma1 » July 20th, 2013, 6:01 pm

I've bought the following two games from the eShop so far and can highly recommend them:

• Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon (DSiWare)—an outstanding Greek mythology-themed pinball game from the developers of Metroid Prime Pinball; and
  • Mutant Mudds (3DS eShop)—a side-scrolling platform game with retro-style graphics and sound.

chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » July 20th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Don't forget VVVVVV.  This retro-style computer game that defies gravity is now available on the 3DS e-shop.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » July 21st, 2013, 9:08 am

Thanks for your recommendations, I think I'll try Gunman Clive & VVVVVV. However, I changed my mind on HarmoKnight. Did anyone play that? It's a charming, colorful game, but the controls are too precise, making especially the boss battles almost impossible...

Another little (DSiware) game I like to recommend is Publisher Dream - a spin-off of GameDevStory for DS. It's not as deep, but very cheap and addictive.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » October 6th, 2013, 2:45 pm

Hi. Can I add one more?

I just got Steam World Dig, it always makes me a little nervous to buy games like this (that are hyped) but this is quite good. It was around $9.

Basically you are a robot miner and you dig (not unlike Dig Dug) into the ground to find treasure and explore these mining caves. More or less you go down through mulitple routes (as you go through again, if you wish) but the caves are quite wide as well. The mining theme works well because you store the ore pockets you find in the dirt and then sell it at the surface to buy upgrades, for life, water (which powers some of your tools) and for drilling devices like pick, drill, and hammer fist and etc. Once you get your guy powered up, it is quite satisfying. Also this game has basic platforming conventions and you gain these as you go through the mines and find upgrade stations, which then allow you to explore areas deeper into these caves you could not reach before.

There are enemies and environmental hazards that kill you. The combat is very simple, but not a big part of the game in any event. The penalty for dying is you lose half of all cash on hand to be repaired, wind up on the surface, and have to start down again. One neat thing though, you can recover your lost loot when you find the point where you died, in a bag! Sweet!  The areas feel bigger than they are, because it takes longer to  dig down, than go up. Still they are a nice size, not too big or small. Another nice shortcut is you can buy portals and put them down in the cave complex for easy access up to the surface, sell your loot (you can only carry so many ore types at a time, as you continually upgrade) heal (costs money) upgrade abilities, and then back down. Very addicting and satisfying.

The game has a robot 'old west' theme with nice graphics and atmosphere. It is too bad the Critic only reviews Xbox Live games, cause thi sgame is apparently a success on the eshop cause the developer plans on making the sequel 3DS exclusive as well. I like games like this to supplement my cartridge purchases.

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » October 9th, 2013, 10:59 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Hi. Can I add one more?

I just got Steam World Dig, it always makes me a little nervous to buy games like this (that are hyped) but this is quite good. It was around $9.

Basically you are a robot miner and you dig (not unlike Dig Dug) into the ground to find treasure and explore these mining caves. More or less you go down through mulitple routes (as you go through again, if you wish) but the caves are quite wide as well. The mining theme works well because you store the ore pockets you find in the dirt and then sell it at the surface to buy upgrades, for life, water (which powers some of your tools) and for drilling devices like pick, drill, and hammer fist and etc. Once you get your guy powered up, it is quite satisfying. Also this game has basic platforming conventions and you gain these as you go through the mines and find upgrade stations, which then allow you to explore areas deeper into these caves you could not reach before.

There are enemies and environmental hazards that kill you. The combat is very simple, but not a big part of the game in any event. The penalty for dying is you lose half of all cash on hand to be repaired, wind up on the surface, and have to start down again. One neat thing though, you can recover your lost loot when you find the point where you died, in a bag! Sweet!  The areas feel bigger than they are, because it takes longer to  dig down, than go up. Still they are a nice size, not too big or small. Another nice shortcut is you can buy portals and put them down in the cave complex for easy access up to the surface, sell your loot (you can only carry so many ore types at a time, as you continually upgrade) heal (costs money) upgrade abilities, and then back down. Very addicting and satisfying.

The game has a robot 'old west' theme with nice graphics and atmosphere. It is too bad the Critic only reviews Xbox Live games, cause thi sgame is apparently a success on the eshop cause the developer plans on making the sequel 3DS exclusive as well. I like games like this to supplement my cartridge purchases.[/QUOTE]

This is a fun, addictive game. My only complaint is that it is a bit short even for my tastes, clocking in at around 4 hours to complete. Fun game but not sure if it is worth $9.

Return to “Modern Gaming”