Another Rant about Today's Games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Herschie

Re: Another Rant about Today's Games

Postby Herschie » May 25th, 2016, 1:08 am

ARRRGGGHHH! So they're did some PSN maintenance today. I tried playing a game of MLB The Show 16. This year I had downloaded it, and it said that I couldn't play because it couldn't get the proper licensing. I thought, gee, that's stupid, so I have to be online to play just because I got it off of the Playstation Store? Well, I have to activate my PS4 as my main PS4. Ok, so I try doing that.

Turns out I can't because somehow someone already activated another PS4 from my account, and get this, I have to deactivate that PS4 from the system itself! I ONLY HAVE ONE!!! Apparently, Sony can only deactivate all your systems remotely once every six months. WTF????

This is horrible! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GAME FROM PLAYSTATION NETWORK EVER AGAIN!!! I'd imagine that Sony gets more profit this way, not having to pay a middle-man. Tough, I'm buying a physical copy OF EVERY GAME from now on!

First world problems.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 25th, 2016, 9:12 am

I have a question.

Do you think the decline in couch co-op (local multiplayer) is mostly due to wanting to sell more copies, or technological issues of one console handling several players, or gamers themselves willing to lose features to preserve or improve graphics?

Couch co-op has literally been there from the start, on Pong machines or playing Combat on the 2600. With the amazing abilities of modern consoles, its a shame its going away.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2016, 5:23 pm

I wish my friend Brent would share his recent experience with the PSN store. He was trying to buy a game (World of Outlaws) which was listed on the site but may or may not be available. He really got the runaround and ended up talking to some guy named Fidel, who acted like he was working some kind of back-room deal or something. It was crazy and he still doesn't have the game.

As for the decline of couch gaming I think it has more to do with the rise of online gaming. Companies see a few online games making money hand-over-fist so they want to invest everything in that arena. I believe gamers on the whole would really prefer local modes if they had the choice. But the publishers aren't interested in what's best for the gamers - it's all about the bottom line.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 25th, 2016, 10:10 pm

If it's of any use to your friend, judging by Sony's PC storefront, World of Outlaws for the PS3 was available at some point but was delisted.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ ... dofoutlaws

When there's only an add to wishlist option with no price posted along with an add to cart option, it's unavailable at present. Since it's a real-world American racing series, likely one or more licenses have expired since its 2010 release so it has been pulled (Incidentally, they put on a heck of a show, so you should attend a race if you never have).

Pretty sad that not only do they not make this clearer, but that the support individual was completely befuddled.

Return to “Modern Gaming”