Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 7th, 2013, 6:14 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Mozart, can you share a link so we can all write in? That would be productive.

Nintendo manuals have in the past been decent,but never to the level of the glory days of game manauls in the late 1980's and early 1990's. So I do not expect much from the, but too bad they are quitting all together. With the fantastic art talent Nintendo has, they could make fantastic manuals, even if they we only a few pages.

So, any more impressions on the game itself?[/QUOTE]

I'll probably be getting this game soon, maybe next week. When registering it for points, I'll be sure to mention how I wish it had included a manual and a map, I'm not sure how seriously Nintendo take these comments, who even read these, but that's about all a customer can do methinks, beyond joining/creating a group on something like Facebook, lobbying for game manuals. Come to think of it, we should go ahead and create one, I'm sure most of us would join. Where it would go from there... who knows!!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » December 7th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Heh I especially loved the ending of this game, particularly the weird face-to-face Link has with Ravio.  I can't really say much about it as there is a bit of a weird reveal there that is not explicitly stated, only very heavily implied, and I wouldn't want to spoil it.  But it gave me a laugh.

Obviously the Dark World of ALttP is NOT the same as Lorule.  The two have similar features, but not similar enough.  Still, Zelda has never been great on its continuity.  The official timeline has three separate time streams.  Anytime game universe chroniclers have to do that, it's obvious it is due to the fact that story timelines were not particularly important to them to begin with.

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » December 8th, 2013, 8:49 am

I second that not only should this game, but ALL games, come with a manual.  I can find information in a hard-printed manual much faster than I can trying to flip through any in-game version.  Plus I can walk around and read through a manual when I'm away from my tv and the game.  It's just publishers trying to save an extra shekel or two per game, absolutely nothing more.  Notice of course there's no price drop for giving you less product, just a bump to their margins thank you very much.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » December 25th, 2013, 11:50 am

Gamespot gave this game its overall Game of the Year award this year.

In doing so, it beat out Super Mario 3D World, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Path of Exile, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, DOTA 2, Gone Home, Assassin's Creed IV: Black, and Grand Theft Auto 5.

I also think (I am not 100% sure though) that this might be the first time they've ever given an overall GOTY to a handheld game.

From their link:

[QUOTE]Just for a second, remove the nostalgic tingle of exploring a familiar version of Hyrule. Forget any sentimental attachment you may have for hookshots and bottled fairies. A Link Between Worlds is fantastic in its own right. It frees you of any tutorial shackles and sets you loose in a bustling world with only your own curiosity to guide you. Such unrestrained exploration is empowering. And when the many puzzles stumped us, it was all the more satisfying to figure out a solution using our own ingenuity[/QUOTE]

Pretty awesome!

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 25th, 2013, 8:51 pm

It is nice that at least one major game site gave a game of the year to a game for reasons OTHER than cinematic, like just about EVERY other site did for either  The Last of Us and also GTA V. (shocking news!!!!!!)

It is a nice package, game is fast, dungeons are very good, booses are pretty good, almost no fluff, all game play. Best handheld Zelda game ever, I would argue, and a cannot miss game.

However Mario World U overshadows this game to an undeniable degree. I really have to scratch my head at this. Of course it makes no difference, just interesting to dissect that politics behind these game awards.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » December 26th, 2013, 6:07 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]It is nice that at least one major game site gave a game of the year to a game for reasons OTHER than cinematic[/QUOTE]
Well, IGN gave it to Mario Galaxy in 2007, and to Portal 2 in 2011, and Journey in 2012, so I'll be interested in their pick again this year.  None of those is very cinematic.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » December 27th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Okay, I'm a few hours in and this one is special.  It's so very not the sequel to A Link to the Past.  I don't care what Nintendo says; this is the sequel to Link's Awakening and nothing else.  That is the highest praise I can give any portable game, ever. 

I've been minorly stuck, I've been surprised, and I have laughed.  At one point in order to advance the plot (real early) I had to go look at some pillars, then go back to my own house.  No one, anywhere, told me that.  I didn't quite put that together until I ran around the map a bit, and then it just happened when I said "well, maybe go back to the house."  That kind of "we're not telling you if you don't ask" game design is sorely missing in pretty much all games these days, and especially in the last couple Zeldas.  I am declaring this GOTY.  It's like going back in time and playing a real Zelda game again. 

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 27th, 2013, 2:49 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Okay, I'm a few hours in and this one is special.  It's so very not the sequel to A Link to the Past.  I don't care what Nintendo says; this is the sequel to Link's Awakening and nothing else.  That is the highest praise I can give any portable game, ever. 

I've been minorly stuck, I've been surprised, and I have laughed.  At one point in order to advance the plot (real early) I had to go look at some pillars, then go back to my own house.  No one, anywhere, told me that.  I didn't quite put that together until I ran around the map a bit, and then it just happened when I said "well, maybe go back to the house."  That kind of "we're not telling you if you don't ask" game design is sorely missing in pretty much all games these days, and especially in the last couple Zeldas.  I am declaring this GOTY.  It's like going back in time and playing a real Zelda game again. [/QUOTE]

It is an enjoyable game. I will not spoil anything for you, but I really liked the wall morphing feature. It may look like a gimmick in trailers, but they really incorporated it well into the game play, -  puzzle solving, exploration, stealth, boss fights, you name it.

I guess that what I appreciate most. The polish and thought process of the game, Every dungeon has its own unique hooks, and seeing the familiar enemies come back and in some places come back in a better form made the game quite fun.

The world is tiny, in a way, but it is packed, and it is easy to warp around it. I did not like the Dark World much in the original game, but this Dark World has way more personality. Subtle little story lines and the overall 'here is our world' atmosphere I like in games.

It really does not have any flaws, it trumps its source material in every way.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 27th, 2013, 4:17 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Okay, I'm a few hours in and this one is special.  It's so very not the sequel to A Link to the Past.  I don't care what Nintendo says; this is the sequel to Link's Awakening and nothing else.  That is the highest praise I can give any portable game, ever.   [/QUOTE]

Wow!  I always thought Link's Awakening was a better game than A Link to the Past but it's been years since I've thought that (or even remember thinking that).  Thanks for the post and reflection of days past.  [smile]

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 28th, 2013, 6:36 pm

If you appreciate video games, it really doesn't get much better than this.  Also impressive is the use of 3D to give the layered dungeons some depth. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”