Gamergate

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
HardcoreSadism1

Gamergate

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » September 10th, 2014, 6:11 am

You will not see a videogame as just a damn videogame, Steer, because you are pathetically incapable of doing so.

Ignorant forum cancer freaking 5.0

ZetaX1

Gamergate

Postby ZetaX1 » September 10th, 2014, 8:24 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
Name the literary equivalent of Ass. Creed or any other videogame.

What would it be?

A fan fic novel of Ass. Creed.

I do not understand what you are trying to argue here. How can you compare a deep novel with the meaningless gameplay of this game? DO you really think that gameplay footage can be placed next to a compelling work of fiction, in any other form?

I honestly cannot see how.[/QUOTE]

Mods, I'm sorry we derailed this thread.  I still don't exactly know what "Gamergate" is, and at this point I guess I don't really care...

I didn't compare a videogame to a deep novel.  You want to, for some reason.  I said that they're all meaningless.

What I don't understand is why the vitriol for Assassin's Creed?  Who the hell ever said it was deep or has a compelling story?  The game media?  The EVIL, BIASED, game media?  So, you're mad at a game for not having a level of profoundness (which you assert that games can not/should not have), based on the opinion of a group (game media) that you dismiss as being in the back-pocket of the game companies?  Why?  Nobody cares!  Don't buy Assassin's Creed!

EA, Assassin's Creed, game media, and iPhone games.  Do you have those 4 topics on a little spinner like "Twister" and spin it when you want something to complain about?

Sorry, I'm done.

ptdebate1

Gamergate

Postby ptdebate1 » September 10th, 2014, 11:22 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious][QUOTE=ZetaX] A couple of comments... Art does not require realism (but let's not go down the "are games art" dead-end street again.) Who said Assassin's Creed was the epitome of drama and story? Again, it's a game. They're all "meaningless." So are movies...so are books...any work of fiction is pretty much meaningless, except for whatever enjoyment (or hatred?) that you get from it.[/QUOTE]

Name the literary equivalent of Ass. Creed or any other videogame.

What would it be?

A fan fic novel of Ass. Creed.

I do not understand what you are trying to argue here. How can you compare a deep novel with the meaningless gameplay of this game? DO you really think that gameplay footage can be placed next to a compelling work of fiction, in any other form?

I honestly cannot see how.[/QUOTE]

It's about time to lay down the straw man, Segatarious. I can't recall anyone in the gaming media praising the literary merits of Assassin's Creed--if memory serves, what people love most about the game are the running and stabbing bits, a sentiment I heartily echo. The stories aren't any better or worse than Blockbuster Action Hit XYZ. They exist as the vehicle for, well, more running and stabbing. It's fun--you should give it a go.

Also, why no rebuttal to my list of games with artistic merit? I'd love to see you try to tear down Silent Hill 2.

ActRaiser1

Gamergate

Postby ActRaiser1 » September 10th, 2014, 11:35 am

Folks, please try to stay on topic.  

//I'm not quite sure how we got onto assassin's creed but please no more posts about it.  Find something else, anything else...

Segatarious1

Gamergate

Postby Segatarious1 » September 10th, 2014, 6:05 pm

This post was moderated

Reason - find something other than Assassin's Creed to talk about it.  Or at least make it related to the topic without turning it into the games aren't art discussion.

Vexer1

Gamergate

Postby Vexer1 » September 10th, 2014, 9:37 pm

I've always found Rock Paper Shotgun to be a pretty lousy website, and this poorly written article certainly hasn't done anything to improve my opinion on them

scotland171

Gamergate

Postby scotland171 » October 15th, 2014, 8:30 am

Gamergate is still going on and risk 0giving gaming a new face in general media...that of angry mob. Several women has fled their homes after threats and today Anita Sarkeesian cancelled a talked at Utah State University after a shocking terror threat and Utah permissive concealed carry of firearms. This was reported by national mainstream press the front page of their website.

If this was about ethics and journalism, its become overwhelmed by a culture struggle about who has a voice in our community, as that community grows demographically. That is why mainstream outlets carry the story, as its a parable about larger cultural struggles...plus its got terror threats.

ptdebate1

Gamergate

Postby ptdebate1 » October 15th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Fair and balanced reporting from Scotland, as always [smile]. The Gamergate phenomenon has become increasingly alarming lately. The frequency of these violent outbursts should reveal (to those who are still guessing) Gamergate for what it is--a sexist, far-right cabal of conspiracy mongers thinly veiled as a campaign for journalistic integrity.

Vexer1

Gamergate

Postby Vexer1 » October 15th, 2014, 3:18 pm

I don't expect this movement to last beyond the end of the year, it's far too toxic and ineffective to really be able to accomplish much of anything other to further the stereotype of gamers being immature entitled brats.

Atarifever1

Gamergate

Postby Atarifever1 » October 15th, 2014, 9:01 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate] The Gamergate phenomenon has become increasingly alarming lately. The frequency of these violent outbursts should reveal (to those who are still guessing) Gamergate for what it is--a sexist, far-right cabal of conspiracy mongers thinly veiled as a campaign for journalistic integrity.[/QUOTE]

I've stayed far away from this one because it seemed so toxic, so quickly (Gamersgate, not this thread).  However, one thing I did notice is that journalistic integrity wasn't allowed to be the topic by most anyone with a journalist job in the industry.  I think that, plus the over-simplification of talking points by the videogame press is part of what has fed the conspiracy minded people on the Gamersgate side.  I'm not saying I think that is most of what this is.  Most of what I've seen from the gamersgate crowd goes "over-simplification, maybe sexism, dumb thing, SJW #gamesgate" However, what I have been unable to avoid from this filtering into my twitter feed makes it sure look like game journalists were very happy to have so many of these people end up being so easy to tear into.  

It's like having someone raise a point about U.S. debt on the election trail, then seeing that it's a tea party guy wearing some racial slur on his T-Shirt.  Yeah, the debt in the U.S. sure is an issue, but you don't have to talk to THAT guy about it.  

I think the whole issue with games media could be fixed if game journalists realized what part of traditional media they are actually modeled after.  They often think (at the major sites and magazines) that they are critics or investigative reporters.  They are not.  They're sports reporters.  They love the sport, they know all the guys in the locker room, they really want their team to win, and they try to tell exciting stories to push the on field product.  In the end, they can critique things on the field, but they do so from the perspective of fans of the team and people who know most of the guys in the locker room are "really great guys."  Game journalists are like that with publishers, developers, and finished products.  Sports reporters and game journalists aren't critics.  They also aren't regular fans.  They're insiders.  That's a valuable thing.  However, it isn't a critic.

Roger Ebert wasn't also hosting Entertainment Tonight then going to work for Paramount after 10 years of reviewing.  

Return to “Modern Gaming”