To 3DS or not to 3DS....that is the question.....

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 20th, 2012, 8:39 pm

I was wondering if people were generally happy with thier 3ds'? Target has a sale on the XL model, dropping the price by $25. So tomorrow after work I was going to grab one. So far I see at least 5 games worth checking out...Mario World, SMB 2, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil and one other whose name escapes me.

Like I said I was just wondering what people thought of the system.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 21st, 2012, 5:10 am

I love my 3DS XL.  I'm much happier with it than I was with the original model.

For me the 3D effect never gets old.  But besides that, I just love the interface and the variety of handheld games available.

DoctorSomeone1

Postby DoctorSomeone1 » November 21st, 2012, 6:44 am

I was skeptical at first but now I am very happy with my 3DS XL, and it keeps getting better with increasingly more games becoming available.
Games I have enjoyed:  Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros 2, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Mario Kart 7, and Nano Assault.  It also plays all previous generation DS games.    

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » November 21st, 2012, 2:17 pm

I love it. Though not yet my favorite handheld system (Game Boy Advance currently is), it's one of my favorite consoles handheld or on the big screen. The 3D effect is awesome for most games as well.

I highly recommend Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus Uprising, Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, Pilotwings Resort, Resident Evil Revelations, Nano Assault, Heroes of Ruin, Pro Evolution Soccer 2011, and New Super Mario Bros. 2, since I have and love all those games.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 21st, 2012, 7:15 pm

I really like it, especially for the price.  I use it for most of the stuff other people use smartphones for, too (MP3 for podcasts, internet for CFL news and baseball scores, eShop as an app store, etc.).  But even just as a handheld, it's got an okay selection, a couple real standout games, and can be had for under $200 new.  That's about all I expect from a handheld. 

I'd suggest OoT 3D, even if you played the original.  It is really unbelievable how much better this version is.  It makes it the best 3D Zelda in the series in my opinion, and before this I always thought it was way over-rated.  They could not have done a better job on this conversion. 

I'd also suggest Mighty Switch Force (eShop).  I suggest that to everyone here.  If I didn't know they hadn't done it, I'd have guessed this one was from Treasure.  Make of that all the praise you want.  It`s fantastic. 

NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » November 22nd, 2012, 9:56 am

I picked up at Blue 3DS XL at Target last night for $175. The only game I got was Super Mario Land 3d and it is fantastic. I like the fact that the stages are short with plenty of replay value. I am really shocked by how many other features the 3ds has available to it such as Netflix, Web Browser, Cameras, etc. Keep in mind I didn't do a heck of a lot of research before I bought it. I also didn't know that it was backwards compatible.

Very sturdy construction as well. Thanks for all the tips. I think in the future I am going to pick up the Zelda game (I never played the original) along with one of the new Mario games. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. Happy T-day everybody!

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » November 22nd, 2012, 10:37 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]

I'd suggest OoT 3D, even if you played the original.  It is really unbelievable how much better this version is.  It makes it the best 3D Zelda in the series in my opinion, and before this I always thought it was way over-rated.  They could not have done a better job on this conversion. 
[/QUOTE]

I'm curious. I have the N64 version (which I love), and I'd be interested to see how this 3DS version is better, and in which ways. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 22nd, 2012, 4:23 pm

[QUOTE=Blueguy]

I'm curious. I have the N64 version (which I love), and I'd be interested to see how this 3DS version is better, and in which ways. [/QUOTE]
It's better in every way I can think of really.  I didn't really like the original, and whatever reasons I had for that are taken care of in this one, as though they designed it with my issues, in particular, in mind.  So I love it. 

First, the graphics have been improved a lot.  Everything is smoother and less jagged.  Also, the backgrounds inside places like shops and houses (which were empty warehouses before) have had all kinds of little details added to liven them up.  In particular, I was surprised to find a Skyward Sword poster hidden behind a box in one place, but most of the additions are bigger and more organic to the environments.

Second, the stupid, annoying water temple was fixed.  There are a couple little graphical hints that make the whole thing better.  From indications of what the water level will be after you play the Ocarina by a crest, to a little pathway marker here and there, it was simple.  The Zero Punctuation reviewer (Yahtzee) hadn't done the original and couldn't understand how he beat the water temple in one flight he was on if it was supposedly so hard.

Third, the 3D effect is very well done.  I only use it when I switch to first person, but doing that does make those panoramic views as impressive now (due to that effect) as they were then (due at the time to the "advanced graphics").  It really does help to have the game "stun" again, when the size of the world no longer would.  

Fourth, the menu is completely overhauled.  No more incredibly tedious cube thing.  You can play the Ocarina while looking at the song sheet, the Ocarina has it's own button you don't even go to the menu to activate,  etc.  This is tied to the fifth major improvement:

There are two touch buttons added.  You can assign the different shoes to them.  So you can have your sword, shield, slingshot, hookshoot, metal boots , and the flight boots all assigned at once for example.  You can imagine how that helps in levels with a "blowing fan" or water (especially the water temple) element.  In the water temple you just touch a button to put on the metal boots, then touch it again to remove them.  No menu used there at all.  It is 1000% less tedious in every way.

Finally, the bosses in this game are fun, and going to Link's house now lets you fight them to try to best your best times.  When Link lies in his bed he "dreams" the fights which lets you enter the time attack menu.   Very addictive new mode.

There are more things I'm forgetting, but those are the real stand outs to me.  If you love the original, you owe it to yourself to get this one.  You'll fall in love with the game all over again. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 22nd, 2012, 7:19 pm

Just thought about one more: The Master Quest is included.  This really is a great addition, as the Master Quest really does feel like almost another game.

Also correction: I meant the sword, shield, metal boots, flight boots, hookshot, and bow at the same time.  Obviously the game still doesn't let you pair the slingshot with the adult weapons. 

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » November 29th, 2012, 3:14 pm

I just picked mine up yesterday and have not been disappointed. Finally a portable console that fits my large hands! The 3D effect is amazing but it is hard to find the right position to get it to work properly and I'm sure I just need to get used to it. Either way I am very happy with the purchase, something I can't say about the PSP or even the DS. I was about to post how I am officially burned out from gaming but the 3DS has renewed my enthusiasm. I highly recommend the 3DS XL as it is a substantial improvement over the original 3DS especially for adults.

Return to “Modern Gaming”