Wii U's everywhere?????

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
NewModelArmy1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby NewModelArmy1 » December 9th, 2012, 2:02 pm

I am really surprised that I am finding Wii U's in just about every store I have been to over the couple of weeks. During my Christmas shopping I have seen plenty of Wii U's at Walmart, Target, Gamestop and Best Buy. Ok well I wasn't Christmas shopping at Gamestop! Also, all of these retailers have them online.

So is this a problem or has Nintendo done a better job this time at supply? I honestly do not think there is as much hype this time around for the Wii U. Perhaps it is unrealistic to think you can have the same measure of success as you did with the WIi.

Personally, I think Nintendo made a huge mistake this time around. Here me out on this one. Millions of people bought the Wii making it the best selling system (I think) this generation. However, over the last few years they have kind of abandonned the Wii. Let's face it, quality software has been few and far between. Moreover, I think they did little to maintain or "keep the interest" of the casual crowd over that time period as well. Personally speaking I do not know any Wii owner that is interested in the Wii U...maybe 20 people and families.

Now I want Nintendo to be successful. I plan on buying a Wii U when more games are released.

Thoughts?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 9th, 2012, 5:22 pm

I think we need to be careful about equating availability to meaning a lack of interest.  It's quite possible that Nintendo will sell tons of Wii Us this holiday season which would give them a nice base of users.  This is a good holiday season to sell a console, since there's isn't much competition.  If you wanted a 360/PS3/Wii, you probably would have bought one in the last six years.

That said, there wasn't a great deal of enthusiasm for this launch.  I think it's because none of the things it's delivering (HD graphics, portable screen, Mario game) are anything new.

I hope it does well, because Nintendo is my favorite game company.  Unlike other companies with bigger agendas (on-line, Blu-ray, take over your living room...), Nintendo seems to genuinely care about the games.  Plus their games are family friendly.  I don't like little kids playing adult games.

NewModelArmy1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby NewModelArmy1 » December 9th, 2012, 6:37 pm

I am not sure I agree with you about the 360. They sold 700,000 units last month while only 400,000 of the Wii U was sold. So Microsoft and Sony do not care about games? C'mon Critic! I would argue that they have both done a much better job supporting their current system then Nintendo has. Let's face it. The Wii has been done for the last two years or so while Microsoft and Sony are still supporting their systems. I mean look at this holiday...both the 360 and PS3 are seven and six years old respectively, but you still have great games released for it like Borderlands 2, AC3 and so on. Meanwhile there is zero support for the Wii.

Look, I am not trying to bash Nintendo but like I said, I think they screwed up by not supporting their system longer.

I hope they sell tons of Wii U's because that is great for the hobby.

Blueguy1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby Blueguy1 » December 9th, 2012, 6:48 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic] I hope it does well, because Nintendo is my favorite game company.

The biggest Sega guy ever just said Nintendo was his favorite game company.

IT'S THE MAYANS I TELL YOU!!! 

Blueguy1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby Blueguy1 » December 9th, 2012, 6:52 pm

All jokes aside, Nintendo is also my favorite gaming company, and I really hope the Wii U  sells at least almost as much as the Wii, which I think it won't have a problem of doing. The brand new Mario will easily bring in a bunch of money for Nintendo, as well as Nintendoland, but I would like to see some hardcore games sell like hotcakes on the Wii U. This console has so much potential.

Atarifever1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby Atarifever1 » December 9th, 2012, 9:03 pm

[QUOTE=NewModelArmy]However, over the last few years they have kind of abandonned the Wii.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
This is just wrong, and I'm getting tired of correcting it on here.  Nintendo abandoned the N64 and Gamecube.  Somehow, people expected the same thing for the Wii, and then when that didn't happen, they acted as though it did because no one paid attention. 

In 2012 Nintendo released Pokepark 2 for the kids, Mario Party 9, Fortune Street, and Rhythm Heaven Fever for the Casuals, Xenoblade Chronicles for JRPG fans, worked out things to have The Last Story released here for JRPG fans, put out a Kirby 20th Anniversary game for retro fans, complete with challenge levels designed to be like the series' latest entry, finally put Pikmin 2 Wii out in North America, added another game to the Nintendo Selects Line for people on a budget, drastically dropped the prices on two of their biggest sellers (Smash Bros and DKC Returns) for cheapskates like me, kept the News Channel, Everybody Votes, Nintendo Channel, and Check Mii out channels updated with new content, kept the Wii shop channel up (and new content is still being added there), and released an entirely new version of the hardware.  I'm sorry, but that's not a bad output from one publisher for one year on a six year old system.  Other companies may have abandoned the Wii, but there's not a whole lot more Nintendo could have done for it this year.  Why no one noticed that is beyond me. 

What were they supposed to release according to people like you?  Zelda had a new game last year.  Mario has 3 platformers already on there.  There is already a Mario Kart.  There are 2 new Metroids, and a Wii control version of the other 2 Primes.  They already relaunched DK.  Two new high profile RPG properties, Fortune Street, Kirby, Mario Party, a rhythm game, and a console Pokemon, Pikmin, price cuts, and a new console form factor was everything they could possibly have had, and they did all of it.  Every bit.  How is that abandoning the Wii?

I should be glad no one paid attention, as my copies of Xenoblade, Pikmin 2, and The Last Story (yes I broke my "no buying" rule for that one, sue me), are all likely going to be collectors items as no one noticed they came out. 

Rev1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby Rev1 » December 9th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Yea I agree with Atarifever, the Wii has not been abandoned and there have been solid titles released each year. I think most people look at the non-gamers who bought Wii's with Wii Fits and balance boards. They now are scattered all over used gamed stores just like Rock Band and Guitar Hero games and accessories. People bought more 360's because 1. the console has been out for nearly 7-8 years, 2. there are a lot more games currently for it, 3. It is the most current console by Microsoft and no Xbox 720 has been announced, thus discouraging a certain percentage of buyers, and 4. the console has dropped in price drastically over the years thus is a better value for many people. The original Wii didn't sell too many more consoles it's first month when compared with the Wii U. The main difference is that Nintendo actually shipped out more consoles this time around. Many people will pick up Wii U's as the library grows and the console price drops. The PS2 outsold the PS3 for at least a solid year after it came out and the PS3 (while it did struggle quite a bit initially) eventually picked up the pace and now is a great console as well. Remember people bashing the Nintendo DS? Saying that the touch controls were worthless and it was an unnecessary upgrade from the GBA. Well, that failure of a handheld now is one of the best handhelds ever made. Nintendo may not always make wise decisions but they always make their consoles worth picking up eventually. Even the Gamecube and N64 had many solid games that people could not get on any other consoles, making them solid choices for people of any age, collector or not.

Irenicus1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby Irenicus1 » December 9th, 2012, 10:28 pm

I think Nintendo came prepared this time. No more jerks buying 20 consoles & puttin' em on Ebay for big money. They'll all sell. May take some time, but its better to have some sit in stores for awhile rather than havin' to pay double on Ebay.

Since we haven't had a new console in YEARS I think the Wii U will sell well at Christmas. Its going to take some word of mouth to get many consumers interested. Motion controls were awesome. Tablet controller..... maybe, but I'm not that impressed.

Nintendo definetly needs 3rd party support & I think they're taking the right steps to get that rolling.  

Oltobaz1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 9th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Yeah, there were some solid releases indeed this year. Another game worth mentioning would
be Pandora's Tower, an awesome action RPG, we were lucky enough to have localized in Europe.
I'm not sure why they didn't bring it to the US as well, it's really a great game.

NewModelArmy1

Wii U's everywhere?????

Postby NewModelArmy1 » December 9th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Atarifever if you are tired of "correcting" people then don't! It is only my opinion but I think it is safe to say that Nintendo abandoned the Wii over the last few years. Yes there were a few games here and there but give me a break. You named two RPG's that nobody bought (or heard of) and a game (Pikmin 2) that I believe was released for the Gamecube. You are also given them props for adding a budget line (which is great) but those are games that have already been released.

I wasn't trying to insult anybody, it is just my opinion.

Return to “Modern Gaming”