Nintendo thinks you are an idiot!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
NewModelArmy1

Postby NewModelArmy1 » May 5th, 2013, 8:05 pm

Well not really, I just find this to be hilarious. Nintendo is so desperate to move Wii U's they are sending messages out to Wii owners that basically say "Hey you idiot! The Wii U is not just an upgrade!". Did they not just launch a bunch of commercials that stressed that it was in fact an upgrade? This is all rather pathetic if you ask me. 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/nintendo-tells-wii-owners-that-wii-u-is-not-just-an-upgrade

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » May 6th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Interesting and to be fair Nintendo historically does get it's marketing strategy right.
It got me thinking on other video game marketing mishaps, only similar one that comes to find is right at the beginning when Magnavox let everyone believe you needed a Magnavox TV to play the Odyssey !

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 6th, 2013, 12:59 pm

I don't see Nintendo calling people "idiots" anywhere in that article, don't know where you got that idea.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » May 6th, 2013, 1:03 pm

I think Nintendo's biggest blunder with the Wii U... was calling it the Wii U.  It's a dumb name from the get-go, but Nintendo has a point with this announcement.  It's really only core gamers that realize the Wii U is a completely different system than the Wii.  I'm guessing the average consumer thinks its a tablet add on to the existing Wii.  They should have named it something completely different.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » May 6th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Not sure about that Microsoft managed to differentiate between X-Box and X-Box 360 successfully despite the similar names.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 6th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I think the subject is misleading - Nintendo doesn't call anyone an idiot.

I do agree with the people who say Wii U is a dumb name.  If I didn't know any better I'd think it was some kind of add-on.

The name "Wii" was also dumb, but Nintendo could get away with that one.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 6th, 2013, 5:47 pm

I don't think the names were that dumb.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 6th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Really not calling people idiots although "misinformed" would be a better word for it. I like Nintendo but this is really their own fault, they didn't get a clear message across and released the console with very few releases, thus preventing any hype to build around the console...

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » May 6th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Reading the comments on the link page, can lead to the impression, that Nintendo has little thought for there fan base. Otherwise the article seems to explain the root problem.

On a side note. I asked my teenage son if the kids at his school talk about the Wii U. Yes, one kid out of his entire grade owns the console. The Wii U really was a smart idea. It just does not seem to have the impact that the Wii was able to achieve. Time will tell.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » May 6th, 2013, 10:45 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]I don't think the names were that dumb.[/QUOTE]

I really like the name "Wii".  When I first saw the name and had no idea how to pronounce it, I thought it was really weird and kind of dumb.  But it quickly grew on me.  Names like Gamecube, Playstation, Xbox, they certainly aren't bad names - I like each of them - but they all have sort of a generic quality to them.  At least Wii is interesting and creative - something you don't see much of in the world of console names.

Now, "Wii U"...I don't know - still on the fence on that one.  I thought it was a pretty stupid name at first, but it's also kind of growing on me.  I guess it's no worse than simply putting a number behind the name (Playstation 2, 3, 4; Xbox 360).

Return to “Modern Gaming”