MS Creative Director sounds off on 'Always Online' devices :

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » April 5th, 2013, 7:33 am

http://i.imgur.com/fulDo2f.jpg

From Twitter. #Dealwithit

I bet when the rubber hits the road most people will deal with it too. Not me though, not me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Here is the Slashdot link.
I'd recommend reading the comments because people make some excellent points.

Here are some key things to remember:
- This on-line only thing is only for the benefit of the publisher/developer, not for the customer.
- An on-line-only model would set a terrible precedent.  If one company gets away with it (Microsoft) you can bet all the others will jump on the bandwagon.
- It's not an much always-on-Internet thing that bothers me.  It's that the ability to play your games will depend on a remote server.  Eventually that server will be decommissioned, or worse, the game will be disable to force gamers to upgrade to the next version.

My Atari 2600 is 35 years old and I like the fact that I can still play games on it.  If my system goes belly up I can fix it or replace it.  This would not be the case using the new model.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » April 5th, 2013, 7:15 pm

There was a time a few months back where speculation about the next generation of consoles was fun to read and think about. That time is well beyond over in my opinion. It has gotten outright hostile and there is no need for it. Let's say all of the rumors are true (always online, turning off after 3 minutes of no internet, not allowing used games, madatory kinect controls, etc). It's very simple.....don't buy one if it does not meet your needs. I'm not exactly the first person to say this. Many people have said the same thing already. I'm a pretty loyal Xbox fan but it is clear that they are alienating a massive amount of fans by not denying some of the rumors that have gotten out of control. I fully blame Microsoft for not addressing at least some of these concerns before a E3 or even before thier rumored pre-E3 reveal. However, the talk just has to die down a little at this point. Nothing wrong with discussing as most people here do, but the hostility is draining.

On a related note. Can someone tell me why a console maker would even consider stopping used game use? I've asked around and noone can give me a decent answer. The publishers should be driving this issue (if anyone) and I'm pretty confident that if there is a little under-the-table deal between publishers and console makers, it would apply to all of them or none of them. I can't see Microsoft alone taking a public realtions hit this massive.

Shogun1

Postby Shogun1 » April 5th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Why would Microsoft commit suicide with this always on-line model? Sony already has a leg-up with free online multiplayer. Talk about incompetence. The video game industry as a whole is very selfish right now. It seems a lot of companies are caring more about their bottom line. You have to make money to survive as a company but there is a way to do that with integrity and respect for the customer. I think I might even pass on getting any of the new consoles and just focus on collecting for the consoles I already have.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » April 5th, 2013, 9:51 pm

[QUOTE=Steve]There was a time a few months back where speculation about the next generation of consoles was fun to read and think about. That time is well beyond over in my opinion. It has gotten outright hostile and there is no need for it. Let's say all of the rumors are true (always online, turning off after 3 minutes of no internet, not allowing used games, madatory kinect controls, etc). It's very simple.....don't buy one if it does not meet your needs. I'm not exactly the first person to say this. Many people have said the same thing already. I'm a pretty loyal Xbox fan but it is clear that they are alienating a massive amount of fans by not denying some of the rumors that have gotten out of control. I fully blame Microsoft for not addressing at least some of these concerns before a E3 or even before thier rumored pre-E3 reveal. However, the talk just has to die down a little at this point. Nothing wrong with discussing as most people here do, but the hostility is draining.

On a related note. Can someone tell me why a console maker would even consider stopping used game use? I've asked around and noone can give me a decent answer. The publishers should be driving this issue (if anyone) and I'm pretty confident that if there is a little under-the-table deal between publishers and console makers, it would apply to all of them or none of them. I can't see Microsoft alone taking a public realtions hit this massive.[/QUOTE]

MS is in the drivers seat in the U.S., the largest console game market. MS is paired with EA, who LOVES this kind of crap, and believes it will dramatically increase revenue for them (and then of course MS) The giants of the industry can get behind this, push it onto fanboy consumers through the  game media they control and by extension the 'me too!' fan boy blogs,  make the same AAA franchise games each year, and charge more and more money through DLC, Fees, no used games, activation passes, etc, etc.

The game industry as a whole is shrinking, so take the worst marks and charge more and more for the same fanboy types of games, or sport games, which ever. Change from a competitive product model to a guaranteed money subscription model. Charge more money, deliver as much product as they decide.

Game console user base eroding, mid size developers dying, small devs in indie land, quality and creativity dying off.

Why the hostility?

Return to “Modern Gaming”