What is the worst game you played 'last gen'?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 29th, 2014, 8:52 pm

For me it was 'Mystery Case Files ; The Malgrave Incident' - it was supposed to be a point and click adventure game, but for the most part all's it was was a static screen 'hidden item' search! What?!?

I did not play it very long.....

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 29th, 2014, 10:08 pm

That would have to be Limbo of the Lost, Ride to Hell was terrible, but at least it didn't plagiarize art assets from other games(and steal cutscenes from movies) like LotL did.  It's a terrible point-and-click game with annoying puzzles that make no sense and which you would likely never figure out without a guide. It also had bar none, the absolute WORST voice-acting of all time, most of it was all done by one guy(even for female characters) doing lots of terrible accents, at one point he actually goes into a coughing fit that was somehow left in the game, and the ending is so laughably awful it has to be seen to be believed.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 30th, 2014, 5:43 pm

Killzone 2! I'm not a big fan of fps's anyway, but I thought I'd give it a spin. It just felt awfully generic!

The runner up would have to be Castlevania: the Adventure Rebirth, which ruined my craving for old-school Castlevania!

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 30th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Killzone 2 is the worst game you've played last gen?  You ought to try Vampire Rain, that one sucked pretty hard.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 30th, 2014, 9:45 pm

I actually lucked out last gen. Most of the games I played were solid-to-great! Killzone 2 just didn't strike me as anything special. It also didn't help that I played it immediately following Bioshock, which I loved!

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » July 31st, 2014, 1:35 pm

I've been pretty lucky; I haven't played any games that I've picked out myself that I would call genuinely terrible. However, there are two games I can point to for being disappointing.

Lollipop Chainsaw is a game that I literally like everything about - except the gameplay. It's colorful, it's creative, it's got a great sense of humor, it's got a great soundtrack and it's a Suda51 game - the man who made Killer7, No More Heroes and the underrated Shadows of the Damned. Unfortunately, it's no fun to play. The hack-and-slash fighting gets old fast and feels primitive compared to games like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry and even God of War, and the mini-games that pop up to add variety (turret-shooting, on-rails running, tower defense) are equally shallow and unsatisfying. I only made it somewhere in the middle of the second level; one day I plan on putting the game on the easiest difficulty and blow through it in a few hours so that I can enjoy the rest of the aesthetics. I've heard that the fighting system in Killer Is Dead is an improvement, so hopefully I'll enjoy that game a lot more.

While Lollipop Chainsaw had nothing to live up to, Silent Hill: Homecoming comes from a series that has produced a number of classics (in particular the first three games) and it fails in every way possible. Characters you don't care about, ugly graphics, stupid puzzles that pale in comparison to those in previous games (remember the piano puzzle from the first game?), a story that rips off the first movie (why is Pyramid Head in this game), an ill-conceived fighting system that you can break by using the knife you get in the first five minutes of the game and a Kratos-style roll-dodge, and a slew of crappy endings (including a joke ending you can get ON YOUR FIRST TRY). A handful of good boss fights and enemy designs, one cool bonus ending, one good puzzle, music by the composer of the original games and the smart decision to limit your ammo are the only things that keep the game from being total bollocks. I DID finish it, although that says more about how much I like the previous games than anything else.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 31st, 2014, 2:50 pm

I very much disagree, I thought Lollipop Chainsaw was very fun to play and I thought the fighting was pretty good.

Also disagree on SH: Homecoming, I thought it was a pretty good game for what it was. I cared about the characters quite a bit, had no issues with the puzzles(except for the sliding tile one, damn that was annoying), I thought the graphics looked quite good and didn't really see how it ripped off stuff from the movie(though that could be because it's been several years since i've seen the film). I also liked the new fighting system as it felt less awkward then the system in the previous games did and liked the endings well enough.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » August 1st, 2014, 6:14 am

I didn't like Assassin's Creed 1 and Army of Two (both Xbox 360), but I find it a little harsh to say they're horrible games. The only really horrible game I tried to play was Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst (on Nintendo 3DS), that was almost unplayable due to the lack of a decent interface.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 1st, 2014, 1:15 pm

I also played a hidden object point-and-click game on the 3DS(seems like there's quite a few of them) called Secret Agent Files: Miami, not the worst game i've played, but definitely the most frustrating because of how cryptic some of the puzzles were and how some were extremely picky about how you use the stylus.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » August 1st, 2014, 1:46 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]

I very much disagree, I thought Lollipop Chainsaw was very fun to play and I thought the fighting was pretty good.

Also disagree on SH: Homecoming, I thought it was a pretty good game for what it was. I cared about the characters quite a bit, had no issues with the puzzles(except for the sliding tile one, damn that was annoying), I thought the graphics looked quite good and didn't really see how it ripped off stuff from the movie(though that could be because it's been several years since i've seen the film). I also liked the new fighting system as it felt less awkward then the system in the previous games did and liked the endings well enough.

[/QUOTE]

It's all relative to me. Lollipop Chainsaw's combat would have been fine - if I hadn't already played games as good as Bayonetta or Metal Gear Rising (in fact, "Play Bayonetta" is pretty much my answer to everything). Homecoming would have been fine - if it had been called (to rip off Yahtzee) The Adventures of Captain Scowlyface, not Silent Hill. The characters in Homecoming would have been fine - if I hadn't already had played Silent Hill games with protagonists as good as James Sunderland or Heather Mason. Compare the character models in Homecoming to those in Silent Hill 3 - a game that came out on the PS2 5 years earlier. You're free to have your own opinion, but I personally feel Homecoming is the worst Silent Hill game I've played so far (I haven't played Silent Hill 4 or Downpour yet).

Return to “Modern Gaming”